79cc Sportsman Flyer build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hi zean, good question.
Short answer- safely. But.

Long answer

The sportsman 80 is running way faster than my 49cc build. which topped out at 32mph on the flat which is exhilarating on a Huffy Davidson.

I would like highway speeds, living in semi rural Wisconsin means everything is 5, 10, or 20 miles away in what is called the Kettle Moraine area of SE Wisconsin so some county roads are quite steep. The Sportsman 80 struggles a bit. For pure practicality, taking my 1979 R80/7 BMW out of mothballs would be more sensible.

But nothing about motorbicycling is sensible, but for the less fortunate it is transportation

, The 212 has a lighting wire from the magneto to power a head light tail light and brake light. Also can support electric start if wanted. At this time it is just on my wish list. Speed is not as important as power. Cruising at 35mph at 75% power would be fine.

Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Been awhile since I posted here and I am working on a lengthy update to flesh out this thread. But in the mean time after reworking the drive train to suit myself, installing a catch can, and mounting Wald fenders the front one being the challenge as my forks are Felt springers.
Today Oct. 14, 2019 was this years maiden ride on year old gas. But it started right up after I remembered to turn on the ignition switch. The only noise seemed to come from the Felt springer. The temp. was hovering around 50F and sunny. Part of my ride had me passing by our village watering hole and a patron seeing me gave me thumbs up.
Tom
DSCN0900.JPG DSCN0903.JPG

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
The addition of fenders to your Flyer really works with the upswept bars, creating a classic roadster anyone would be proud to own/ride. Ever considered fitting a period headlight and rear rack to round off the vintage look?
Speaking of year old gas, I still pop round to the storage facility here in Alnwick now and again to fire-up a couple of my bikes in the hope of avoiding the carbs gumming up. Wish I had more opportunity to ride 'em. Probably simplest if I drained/flushed the tanks.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
My buddy Steve Salick is a pro photographer. When he saw the Flyer down on it's wheels he told me he knows another freelance photographer who contributes to various motorcycle Mags he thinks would be interested in doing a photo op of the Flyer. Pat has already gotten a lot of exposure so I don't know what value there is to a SF80 build.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Thanks Steve, Salick is supposed come here this next week with his utility trailer to help me move an obsolete oak entertainment to the upper level of our house.
I will see if he wants to do a follow up.
In the mean time I have to find a solution to keeping the Brooks from rotating out of position. I thought I had the clamp bolt as tight as I dared.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
The addition of fenders to your Flyer really works with the upswept bars, creating a classic roadster anyone would be proud to own/ride. Ever considered fitting a period headlight and rear rack to round off the vintage look?
Speaking of year old gas, I still pop round to the storage facility here in Alnwick now and again to fire-up a couple of my bikes in the hope of avoiding the carbs gumming up. Wish I had more opportunity to ride 'em. Probably simplest if I drained/flushed the tanks.
Pete, I may not be fast, mostly as I still pull a 40hour week quite voluntarily as I love building and making tooling on company dime and reasonably compensated.
in 2016 I acquired a Solar acetylene bicycle lamp. Some dodgy bugger painted it with aluminium paint and I unsure how best to remediate the surface treatment. I have a ultrasonic cleaner that might work. Removing the front and side lenses is most intimidating. But I do have a lamp Peter and it will go on.
I have purchased 4 six foot lengths of 1/8" X 1/2" steel bar in 4Ft lengths and have studied the Indian racks of the early 20th Century. Fabricating one for a Sportsman Flyer that was not designed for one.
As the say Down Under "No Worries Mate".
Going to be another challenging winter here.
Best to you and the Mrs.
Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There was a solvent I ran across a while ago, don't know where you'd get it from. Methyl isobutyl ketone. The smell travels upwind. Get too much in the air, you can see Jesus and understand birds talking.