54 Schwinn 24'' DX My Next Race Bike

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks curt, I'm having a lot of fun with this one. Thanks burnt, I'm still waiting for a Jammer Cobra clutch. They were all out of parts and it may be another week. Should make this motor come alive.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
srsly? o_O

We've np with "bumping" threads here... but you could ofc include a bit more than "bump" in the comment rotfl

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Back on this project. The test rides with my new Cobra clutch went well on take off and mid range but soon felt like it was running out of gas on the top end. I think with the less restrictive exhaust and air filter along with 2500 more rpms, the little carb is not enough. So I finally scrounged a larger carb form a scrapped chainsaw. I went from around 5/8'' to 3/4''. I made an adapter to transition from the new carb right to the oblong intake of the motor and will connect it with this big old chunk of heavy duty heat shrink tubing and a couple of my custom clamps. I'll be testing it soon and will post the results.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Dave. Hope to be testing next weekend. I still have to bend up some pedals and get them installed. Would also like to weld in some reinforcing gussets around the seat and rear axle area. OH, and maybe some cool axle adjusters and a steering stop to keep the forks off the tank. Always a ton of little stuff to do.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I wondering what rock I've been under that I missed this jewel?
Love the sandwich mount! Very clean, strong, and light.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Thanks Dave. Hope to be testing next weekend. I still have to bend up some pedals and get them installed. Would also like to weld in some reinforcing gussets around the seat and rear axle area. OH, and maybe some cool axle adjusters and a steering stop to keep the forks off the tank. Always a ton of little stuff to do.
I know that feeling... I'm always welding on extra gussets here and there on my setup... i like the idea of the steering stop too as running any kind of triple tree fork setup or certain types of bars always find their way to put dents in the tank. I've gone thru that round a few times with my Sportster after installing drag bars... and now I got the seat off my bike again because I felt it flexing from my newly built layback post so I'll be welding in an extra brace there too... as well as my new mounting system where I cut a slot thru the frame tube and ran the bracket thru the slot... it moves a LOT right there so that bracket needs to be welded in before I crack the mount.

Your bike looks awesome and I love the way you mounted your engine tho... keep up the good work and I'll be looking forward to seeing more pics of this one.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Still have not had a chance to try the larger carb. May have to wait till retirement. Hopefully next May, although I'll try to get to it sooner.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I don't really trust the 28 spoke wheels so I finally got a pair of 36 spoke rims off a trike and laced up a 125 motocrosser front brake drum. I will probably need to make some sort of fork brace also.

I know it looks like I'm going backwards on this project, but i'm only going a little sideways and will go forward shortly.