1912 Excelsior Tribute

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I’m back On the Worksman drums ...I can’t let them go....! Cleaned and sanded hubs again . Running modern inverted levers with heavy duty cables will be my final attempt..ya right. I want to ride,!,!
so I found a local welder for my small jobs. Had him weld on 2 wrench flat collars and move pin on front drum to opposite side.
Just repainted forks and installed them along with my 7/8“ handlebars. The wingspans of this setup is 36” . Hoping I will eventually remove shims and go back to my original 1” bars .

Attachments

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
So bars are good and I will keep an eye on them . Took her out a few times engine fires on first pull and runs flawlessly! But as we all know this hobby comes Challenges. Mine came to me after the build was complete and my all belt drive slipped. It was time to go chain to belt which is great ...no slipping at all.But to do this I had to fit sprockets in place of pulleys. Which needed to clear the mount and clear custom clutch cover.Thats were my new problem starts.. gearing is all jacked up and my first time with a clutch and engine braking.. wowza!!!
Here is what I got and easiest thing to do would be get a larger tooth clutch.. But is it enough?
10t clutch to
32t sprocket to
3 1/2” pulley to
15” rear sheave
Please leave you 2 cents!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Engine braking is a wonderful thing as you discovered! Not as much need for disc brakes if your overall ratio is low enough. On my two 5 speed bikes I'd say 80% of my braking is handled with engine compression coupled with down shift. Though the Simplex has dual disc the Harley Peashooter is a coaster rear and Sturmy drum up front. The Harley stops just fine, but pure clutch and stops take a while.

Mags, in post 261 this thread you said the final ratio was 12.25 to 1. Did the performance suit you with that ratio other than the slippage? If so duplicate with the new setup substituting pulley dimensions with gear tooth count to match your old all pulley setup setup or change as suits you. There are ratio calculators on the web as well or you can pm me with the metrics and I'll work up some numbers for you, but I figure what you were running is close to what you will be satisfied with. A great bike deserves a no slip setup for sure.

Rick C.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Thanks to everybody!!! I’m now headed in the right direction. First learning about belt wrap and my lack of Belt wrap! Added a few. Links to belt which helped.. looking into my tensioner box tomorrow and hoping to find a good location on the bike to mount. The biggest change was the clutch . I moved up to a13t from a 10t.. Brought bike to a nice spot for cruising at low and higher speeds. Next tensioner to help wrap belt . Belt only slips when I jump on it. For now I’m very happy with the ratio_Once again thanks for all the help.