Why no winter riding?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Dave31, Nov 18, 2011.

1. D Man

D Man New Member

I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains! Don't get a lot of snow down here......do get a month or two of colder weather and rain here but usually the forecast is fine, hot or bloody hot!

D man. auflg

2. 2239968

2239968 New Member

I will hopefully have a lot of winter riding once my morini build is done. just no slush. powder on my studded tires will be fun.

3. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

This time of year and of course Spring is why I endure the 4 months of summer heat here.

[​IMG]

I am about to put a shirt and shoes on so I can go do a test ride on a new build now that the football game I wanted to watch is over and there is still a couple of hours of good light left ;-}

4. rustycase

rustycase Gutter Rider

Why not?
    found this pic earlier today...
    rc

Attached Files:

5. nightcruiser

nightcruiser New Member

THAT I would ride! LOL

6. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

Here in GA. I've been riding mine when I wanted to, we never have more than a day or two at a time that you wouldn't want to ride. I have a snow sled in the attic that is maybe 15 years old and only been used 2 or 3 times.

7. Rocky_Motor

Rocky_Motor New Member

Hey BarelyAwake!
    How did you watertight everything? Or is it generally good to go from the start?

8. Kahlas

Kahlas New Member

[​IMG]

Nice wind chill chart to give people and idea of what riding my 33 MPH MB feels like in the cold. I do plan on riding this winter as much as I can but will be bundling up and staying off the main roads(Illinois has a country road every mile usually) when there is snow/slush to stay away from slush spray.

9. kevyleven007

kevyleven007 Active Member

its when the sun goes down in the summer that you cant ride here.Its raining insects and all the maniacs are on the road.One of my 2 stroke motors runs really good when its cold.must be the plug its a zoom bikes motor.I ride all year round sometimes I wear 3 jackets and gloves if its really cold..santa

10. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

When I first built the thing, I put a small dab of silicone sealant where the wires exit the case... from the inside for best seal (take side cover off, push wires into case a little, apply sealant to inside, pull wires back out to normal length - this pulls sealant into hole) & that's about it *shrug*

There really isn't much for water to hurt on these things ;)

11. Rocky_Motor

Rocky_Motor New Member

Aw crap I just threw the last of my silicone out. But i'll do that it sounds like a good idea :D You're talkin about the ignition module right? (I forgot what it was called, the black box that turns 6 volts to thousands of volts)

12. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

No, the CDI is fine - the small hole the side of the engine case where the magneto is housed & the wiring exits;

[​IMG]

(flared copper tubing isn't needful)

13. Tinsmith

Tinsmith Member

Well Silverbear was determined to ride yesterday, and not to be outdone by an "Old Guy" I figured if he could take it I cetainly could. It was 42 degrees, cloudy and breezey. We got about 10 minutes out into the countryside to a point where if we turn right and head northeast we are pretty much comitted to a 45 minute ride. Whe we stopped and I look over to SB he signaled left. I laughed, nodded in agreement, and in 20 minutes the ride was over. I know I'd ride my motorcycle in those temps in Ohio 40 years ago but the testosterone level has dropped a few clicks over the years and I just can't quite see the point. More than likely we'll have some 50 degree days through the winter here and we'll take advantage of them. Keep Ridin'

14. kevyleven007

It was in the 60's here today so I took the warrior for about 20 miles.It was a nice ride and I didnt freeze.Nothing went wrong at all.

15. MotorNut123

MotorNut123 New Member

i hate riding in the cold. fingers get numb and eyes water. rain also stinks.

16. kevyleven007

yes it will be nice when spring gets here.sno.

17. happyvalley

happyvalley New Member

6 (six) degrees this morning so no riding today. Then again, when it's 112 in Tucson in July I wouldn't be riding much then either, lol.

18. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Come on 112*!! Seriously though I have ridden my bike in the coldest weather around here up in the mountains. I believe if I remember right the coldest I have been on my MB it was around 10-14*.

Attached Files:

19. kevyleven007

just have to wear a jacket thats all

20. killercanuck

killercanuck New Member

Yea, just gotta bundle up a bit. Leave your glasses outside when you run into a store so they stay cold and don't fog up on you :) Studs/screws are a must up here, too much ice...

Oh, and a second beat up bike you don't care about salt eating away at :p

Attached Files: