Why no winter riding?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Dave31, Nov 18, 2011.

1. happyvalley

happyvalley New Member

Two words: road salt.

For the life of me, I cannot subject the bicycles that I have lovingly restored to the horrors of a chloride bath.

2. tim turbo

tim turbo Member

Oh I forgot to mention that we have no snow here yet! The streets are dry as melba toast. There is no way I would ride in the slushy salty mess that we sometimes get.

3. maintenancenazi

maintenancenazi New Member

Oh yea, they use salt around here as well, hate the stuff! I don't even like subjecting my truck to a salt bath! Did I mention I HATE THAT STUFF?!

4. linnix13

linnix13 New Member

i dont mind the winter, im up in canada so we have some brutal winters, but i have used my engine bike every winter so far! black ice is a big problem, you really have to watch out for that, but i dont mind a little slush and the road salt doesnt bother my bike, it gets dirty but i have not had reliability issues. its my main transportation!

5. Mannhouse51

Mannhouse51 New Member

OK I laughed when I read this. Yeah , cold is ok , I'm still riding right now , but when we got 3 feet of snow, negative wind shields and my snowblower is struggling , the motorbike season is officially done.

6. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

Yeah but:p this would suggest that one could achieve their best land speed record on one of those days lol... Eyes a Crying, ''heavy Snotciycle's'' and hands frost bit to the point of amputation repair that completely quit working!!!lafflaff My Morini has been pretty chipper lately....

I would still take a 100 degree day over this punishment tho..

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/temperature-air-volume-35319.html

7. rohmell

rohmell Active Member

I'm shaking my fist at all of you who live in the South, Florida, California, Arizona, etc., who can ride all year round.

8. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

Yeah and all this @ 15 miles an hour lol.

9. Gator Wrestler

Gator Wrestler New Member

Last year I rode a lot during the winter. I was living in Louisiana and except for a few days of 20's the weather is mild that far south. In fact winter riding can be better than the blistering heat and nasty bugs of the warmer months. Now I live in Washington and I know I won't be riding quite as much this winter. I will still ride. I just have to limit my rides to the dry and warmer days.

10. Ibedayank

Ibedayank New Member

Ya'll are just riding the wrong bikes....

[​IMG]

11. gphil

gphil Member

In Ga. not so bad but at my time in life agree with 2 Door. gphil

12. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

TBH, I don't see what the problem is lol, goin' on three years of daily drivin' - rain snow & shine...

13. virginian

virginian New Member

I ride all winter as long as there is no snow or ice in the roads. My MB is what I use for almost all my errands. It's mostly a matter of having the right clothes and the right attitude.

Of course, winter in Virginia is not as bad as winter in North Dakota.

14. nightcruiser

nightcruiser New Member

If you don't see what is wrong with this picture I'm not sure what to say.....

15. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

Other'n not living in the Bahamas, yes... yer right, there is a coupla things "wrong" in that shot - no kickstand & I was outa cawfee ;)

16. nightcruiser

nightcruiser New Member

LOL
    That's some rugged sh#t man, hats off to ya' if your into it... It's certainly not for me, my bones don't like the feel of the cold sitting in a car, let alone riding a mb out in it....
    I don't have a kickstand either, damn mountain bikes. I run a tiny 16.5" mountain bike frame, my bike kinda fits the same profile as yours (minus the snow, mine is in pieces in the basement right now)
    Enjoy your winter!

#36 nightcruiser, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  17. happyvalley

happyvalley New Member

Oh the irony that a guy from AZ starts a thread about "winter" riding, lol.

18. F_Rod81

F_Rod81 Dealer

Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

19. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't find it right now but we had a member from Moscow who posted vids of MB racing in the snow. Anyone remember his name? Jag something? He posted several other videos of winter riding in Russia.
    Tom

Found him. Dagger > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=garZQejMUMQ

#39 2door, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  20. Velodrome

Velodrome Active Member

Shoot just throw a set of chains on yur bike an GO! HAHAAHA! I lived most of my life in Michigan. Every winter, weather depending; I'd get my motorcycle out on either Crhismass or newyears day for a BREIF ride. As long as the streets were clear of ice I'd go for it. Never more than 10 miles though. You wouldnt beleave the odd ball looks I got. Had a co worker that did the motorcycle ice racing on frozen lakes. He was nuts! Here ya go, try these: Tungsten Carbide