What is Your favorite speed?

GoldenMotor.com

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I need to get one of those Predators. The other day at Harbor Freight, I sort of had a moment with one. I was walking past it on my way to get a 1/4" torque wrench (on sale for $20!) when I saw it sitting there. I slowed down to casually check it out. I glanced over to take a quick looked at it, but we caught eyes. I stared at it, it stared at me; we both sat there for a moment before awkwardly looking other ways. I walked away and continued shopping, but we both knew it was love. As I walked out of the store, I whispered to myself, "some day..."

Plus, it would be pretty cool to make a Predator themed bike with a Predator engine. I don't think I can pull off the invisibility cloak though.

Back to the topic at hand, I would probably cruise at around 40 if I had a Predator =)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
My normal cruising speed is between 18-23mph. But I do every now and then find myself doing 40mph+.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GeMuGjVZK0&feature=plcp
I know what you mean. I thought I had a nice, straight patch of Troy Rd. all to myself. Then, coming up beside me are two hooliga...er, I mean two young adults riding what seemed to be, at a guess, a 49 cc Ruckus. They were not the ones from our mobile home park. They said something to me, all I heard was "blah, blah, blah Grandpa". That's when the little devil on my left shoulder whispered about how I was the sole rider; their vehicle carried two. And they had 49 cc, I had - well, you get where this is going. I put them behind me as quickly, but as safely, as I could. Don't know how fast I went, but I'm afraid it wasn't my usual 25 mph.

Grandpa indeed!

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I know what you mean. I thought I had a nice, straight patch of Troy Rd. all to myself. Then, coming up beside me are two hooliga...er, I mean two young adults riding what seemed to be, at a guess, a 49 cc Ruckus. They were not the ones from our mobile home park. They said something to me, all I heard was "blah, blah, blah Grandpa". That's when the little devil on my left shoulder whispered about how I was the sole rider; their vehicle carried two. And they had 49 cc, I had - well, you get where this is going. I put them behind me as quickly, but as safely, as I could. Don't know how fast I went, but I'm afraid it wasn't my usual 25 mph.

Grandpa indeed!
rotfl awesome

Would have loved to see the looks on their faces! :D

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
25 to 30 feels great , but lately ....... more is better when I can open it up . (speed is an addiction once you get a lil bit ya gotta have MORE ! ) LOL

Gary

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I like cruising @ 25 mph, if there's no traffic around.

That's with a Tanaka 47R engine, 27" tall tires, 8-speed shift kit w/ 46.36:1 first gear and 15:1 in 8th gear.

multipaul

Mar 31, 2012
Germany
When the roads are fine, I'm one of the guys who drive their bike with WOT.

Since 2008 my 30cc rear wheel hub engine in my Hercules Saxonette is licensed as a moped to 45 km/h. It is the only one in Germany and it was a hard (and expensive) procedure to get the license. Other bicycles of this type are limited from factory not to run faster than 20km/h (12,5 mph).
So I enjoy every minute going up to 48 km/h (30 mph) at 7100 rpm which is its actual top speed without wind and in in the plain. The other car drivers and moped riders can't believe it. And I have fun to see their astonished faces.

Multipaul

multipaul

Mar 31, 2012
Germany
Hallo Pilotgeek,

Hub dynamo is well known, so I thougt my engine must be a hub engine.

Here the bike from my wife:

Here an engine in the wheel:

My engines are at least 20 years old. The bicycle is made in 1988.

Multipaul

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
When the roads are fine, I'm one of the guys who drive their bike with WOT.

Since 2008 my 30cc rear wheel hub engine in my Hercules Saxonette is licensed as a moped to 45 km/h. It is the only one in Germany and it was a hard (and expensive) procedure to get the license. Other bicycles of this type are limited from factory not to run faster than 20km/h (12,5 mph).
So I enjoy every minute going up to 48 km/h (30 mph) at 7100 rpm which is its actual top speed without wind and in in the plain. The other car drivers and moped riders can't believe it. And I have fun to see their astonished faces.

Multipaul
Is that the Fitchel & Sachs engine? How old is it? I have a 1934 98cc 2 speed Fitchel & Sachs on a build I don't have on the road yet. Seems like a nice engine.
SB

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
With my 29er and shifter kit, on roads with good asphalt and room, I usually cruse at around 33mph and on crappier streets or streets without a bike lane, I stick to around 22-25. I dont really get any vibration throughout the rev range but I like it when my bike purrs quietly around town.

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
i like when my bike is going so fast i can barely see due to the vibration....when it feels like the bike is gonna fly apart into a million pieces... yup thats my fav speed...