what is the future of racing?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'd call it a warning.

Let me put this plainly - don't drag the forum into the drama.

This forum has been and will remain impartial, we've supported all events regardless of who hosted them or why, even against our better judgement & even in spite of rule violations. We've done this only because there's so very few events that it would be unfair to our members to exclude any simply due to the conduct of a few.

There's obviously some issues going on amongst the event organizers, but our forum's rules still apply - discuss it civilly, report violations or ignore it and move on.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'm moving on. my first post stated i didn't want to have this conflict with neil anymore, and ten minutes later it blew up into a battle royale.

i apologize to everyone involved, including neil. i said i have no concrete proof of him selling prizes, so i'm willing to retract that. i stand by everything else i typed, though.

as of now, i have no plans to host anymore races, including the one i was working on for the end of the world that some of you knew about.

i'm also never going to attend another one of neil's events, so my own future as a racer is pretty bleak as well. i'm not going to tolerate him like many of you guys "just because we wanna race.

what really sucks, is we all wanna race and have fun, but we all want it on our terms.

there's a lot of infighting going on besides just me and socalmotorizedbicycleracing.

everyone has an opinion about how the races should be run, and most of it is negative. people have told me don't invite the ebikes 'cause they're too arrogant. don't invite the mopeds because they're too childish. the big four strokes are too dangerous. i don't wanna race against this guy, or that guy, the track should be like this, the heats should run like this, the entry fee should be this...

the list goes on.

i think in order to sustain motorized bicycle racing and move it up another level, we need to form a sanctioning body, lay down some stricter rules, (an official rulebook would be nice) and make it so you know what you can build, what you can wear, what it costs, etc.

you know, like "real" racing.

or we can keep it "fun." but then you might as well not call it a race. call it a "pizza party at the track."

'cause that's pretty much what we've got now.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Don't quit because of this thread, come on!

I've worked in auto racing for quite a few years now so if you want I can help to make an official rulebook and figure out a club racing style system for assigning tasks to spread around the work. Basically, you need to empower people by giving them titles, authority over their tasks, and the resources to get it done. Fortunately, once it is all set up it takes care of the situation.

The complaints expressed here aren't new to racing of any form. I hear all the same stuff every race weekend at the track running cars. Unless you have spec racing there will always be arguments about the differences in the bikes. The problem then becomes enforcing tech inspection and inter-driver feuds. You see, when all the racers are closely matched, people have to race extra hard and get into it with each other constantly. That is the risk of spec racing, and in my opinion, it kinda reduces the appeal if you like to build.

Personalities clash in racing all the time, even between people on the same team. The fact you're out there racing probably indicates A-type personality. We all suffer from it, and when you get a bunch of A-types together it can devolve into a bunch of A-holes pretty quickly. It just happens. Move bi^*%$, get out the way! lol

I don't think this thread is completely negative. Use it as a forum to address what sucked, fix it and have fun! If you don't have a dyno roller present at an event, somebody could probably rig out a loaded top speed roller if you don't like the idea of "stig" going and maxing out your bike. It would all be relative, so actual wind resistance wouldn't matter, just the relative achievable top speeds of the heavy roller.

I'm sure all the club racing organizations went through these teething pains when they have progressed in organization from grass roots airfield racers. SCCA and NASA both have major problems with how things run to this day, but people talk about it and eventually it gets resolved, even if it's 12 drivers' meetings later! This is the beef you have to squash by addressing it directly, I don't see how there is no room for compromise here.

Hey, I have an an idea based off SCCA club rally-x, why not some dirt track bicycle racing? I think on loose surfaces are where our little putt putts would shine the most, sliding sideways foot down at thirty! A crappy dirt parking lot is all that's required, along with harbor freight cones.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Maybe you could make a poll for all the major issues and have everybody take a vote and discuss. There's enough room in bicycle racing for 10 different series, as long as everybody keeps it civil.

If there is a division between those who want casual track days and those who want actual competitive racing, why not accommodate that? Then everybody has a time to ride with others pushing equally as hard. Track days would probably encourage a lot more people to come who wouldn't usually, and it would be more of a bike show and test. Maybe a couple races could get integrated, but the idea would be a community event like a NASA HPDE.

Anyways, just a thought.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I ain't quitting. :)
The race last Saturday was a very fun day and a success
so they will keep happening and evolve......

Reading about it on the forum and seeing the pics can never
come close to matching being there.

So, the next SoCal Motor Bicycle Racing event is on April 6th 2013.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
like "real" racing.

or we can keep it "fun." but then you might as well not call it a race. call it a "pizza party at the track."

'cause that's pretty much what we've got now.
I'm okay with either way. I'm just glad we have a track to race on. I've done both and one thing I've noticed about "real" racing is it brings out the worst in some people. I vote for a pizza party at the track with a set of rules in writing and to be honest, I could care less of what happens behind the scenes. As long as I have a fun day at the track. :)
Its too bad you're moving on Baird, you've always were part of the front runners and exciting to watch on the track. I was always rooting for you to upset the Arrow boys winning streak.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I am with Easy Rider on his last few post. Let's just move on and keep the fun going. I had a good time at the track, Baird is a fun guy to hang with and I have no issues with Neil... People are people...ok when's the next race? April... I will come and drag your azz to the race Baird... So don't hide...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
sorry guys, not gonna happen. i'm never gonna attend another one of neil's events, and you all know why.

if you guys wanna go to apex, or tucson, or anywhere else we can set it up. socalmotorizedbicycleracing doesn't have to be the only game in town...

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
good grief! I've been lurkin' here. I have been racing cars in HSR West, & VARA for 10 years now, and it is the same garbage there too. I saw some Nascar idiot throw his helmut at another car! ALL LEVELS OF RACING BRINGS OUT THE BEAST IN US ALL. Just so you all know, I couldn't care less if another bike race happens or not.
It's a freakin bicycle you slapped an engine onto. They brawl at the lawnmower races too. have a life, its big out there....

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I agree with you on that Scotto.
and SuperHarry....relax there Buddy. No one is throwing helmets or screaming at each other or going buck crazy after a MB race. Actually everyone is civil and having a great time. It's like a great big pizza party! :)

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
buba here

yo tambien

baird --any and all such events /races -pizza parties would not be half as worthwhile without your presence

find a way - you do not have to interact with neil and let the games continue with everyone's good times in mind

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
Races will go on. and as we all have the opportunity for input, here’s my observation of the last season.

1. Heats mean nothing, are a waste of time and money, and they do nothing to determine starting position for finals when we all start inline.

2. So we can race the same number of laps just in 2 heats.

Heat 1-12 laps, Heat 2-12 laps. Finishing position of both heats combined will be added and the racer with the lowest total is determined the winner and so on... If there is a tie the racer who finished better after the 2nd heat is the winner and so on.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
good grief! I've been lurkin' here. I have been racing cars in HSR West, & VARA for 10 years now, and it is the same garbage there too. I saw some Nascar idiot throw his helmut at another car! ALL LEVELS OF RACING BRINGS OUT THE BEAST IN US ALL. Just so you all know, I couldn't care less if another bike race happens or not.
It's a freakin bicycle you slapped an engine onto. They brawl at the lawnmower races too. have a life, its big out there....
Hey Harry, you were at the Grange race just last Saturday and it
looked like you had a great time on that noped?

Everyone else did. I know that it was really fun for me and I don't
even get out on the track like you guys.

Bickering and brawls have only happened here in cyber space and
the races are way too much Fun.

I keep saying that you have to be there but second best check out
the photo's.

The only bad thing that happened was that Andy Rust crashed in the
first corner on the first heat and hurt his shoulder.

Anyway, please knock off the bickering, there really was No problem
last Saturday 20th and a lot of people like Dave Rust said it was the
best time that they had had at the races.

superharry at Grange last Saturday on his Noped Honda Express

Last edited: