what in your road kit

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay on my blog I'm writing a fictional account of a motored bike road trip. At this moment I need to know what the minimalist tool kit would have in it. I mean the bare bones and any modifications to your tools to cut down on the weight of the items.

For instance in my electric bike kit, I have a 3/8 wrench for axle nuts, but it has been cut in half with only the open end part of it in the kit. The closed end is for another kit probably the gasoline one.

I'm thinking small can of tire inflater with slime rather than patch kit and pump. cut down 10mm wrench for the engine parts. 15mm cut down wrench for the axle bolts. A screwdriver with reversible shaft philips on one in slotted on the other. Maybe a small vicegrip would be a good thing to have.

Anyway let me know what you have that you really need for a bare bones low weight kit. thanks guys

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
most bike shops sell multi tool kits which all fold together and have tools for removing tires and everything else. for a motorized bicycle they are perfect and take up very little room. in addition to that i carry a flat tire repair patch and glue. here is a picture of one of the tool kits out their. they run around 20.00

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Ah heck that's too easy lol... Need something with real character. Bits and pieces odds and ends lol. My bell chain breaker cost twenty bucks, I could have bought one a wallymart for about five. live and learn.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
This is what I carry chain and lock. Cell phone and thats it.Sometimes I forget the phone and as yet I've not needed to use it.rotfl
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yes the next bit is about cell phones for the traveler. After the cell phones I have to make up a list of items to pack in the trailer for the road trip. The trip will probably be set to last about two weeks the first time. I am enjoying the planning even if I can't take the trip for real.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
hummm I'm dealing with the cell phone thing in the next serial. Cell phone seems to be the number one answer. But then again nobody is out doing road trips I guess. At least if they are they aren't answering this yet..

Of course they aren't answering, because they are on the road.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi guys, I will now offer a COMPLETELY different approach to this concept. Your Toolkit should contain EVERYTHING you need to be able to service your bike while on the road.

I recently rode the Whiz-In near Fresno CA, 65 miles of mixed roads, including some scenic winding country roads outside of town over a river with a one-lane bridge!

Others broke down along the way, but my OHV Whizzer roared along with no problems, Everytime I passed anyone on the side I'd holler out "Need Tools"?

Your tool kit should contain, for the most part, EVERY tool that it takes to service the entirety of your bike.

After the ride, a few weeks later, I tore down 09 with the tools that were in that kit, save the fact that I needed a deadblow mallet (I can't remember what for, oohhh yes, to pop the stem loose) and a 12 inch crescent wrench, as I needed to remove the headset and crankset, the mallet was also usefull to drive out all the races as she went to powder bare-steel!

I did not carry spare parts, as the bike was new, and only had about 7 miles on it before the big ride!
Spare parts are a completely different matter, and I don't want to get into that, especially considering my parts would be different than yours.

How to assemble your toolkit? I go thru the bike, and make sure that every fastener on the bike has a PROPER tool to loosen and tighten it. Every allen, nut, bolt, the pedals etc!
You SHOULD carry a chain breaker, and an extra masterlink.

Then, pliers, a bit of baling wire, a few zip-ties, some tape, a crescent wrench, I carry a 6-way screwdriver, IF you need a socket, then carry a ratchet!

See if I am right?

Mike

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Mike
I'm going to carry the cell (and a chain and lock to lock up the bike) as I don't plan on breakin down if it does well my fault I'll chain to something but moat likely I'll call the snake to come and get me. I ain't worried I don't plan on a cross country trip and if I did I'm not taking one of these bikes only one has a cup holder and NO plug in for my capichino machine.rotfl
Sounds to me like you plan on some serious x-country riding. I don't pack much on the harley either in the way of tools sorry person that I am. The newer Harleys is gettin more like a goldwing ever day fuel injection electronic throttle am/fm/gps/cd players every trincket known to man kind. Ah.............. Its fun. But I hate to polish all the dang chrome.
Oh I also fly my own airplane and I do carry a Holy Bible if I get into a really bad situation I'll reach over my shoulder and break out the Bible and start studying for the big final.:confused:
Norman

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think for my purpose I tend to go with mike. If you are going to be out there alone you really should have enough tools to do minor things, Like tighten the chain or clean a spark plug. Re attach a cable that kind of thing. Almost all the stuff outside the bike is 10mm and most of the stuff on my bike is 14 15 17 mm. I think If I were going on a road trip for any length of time, I would want at least open end of those size wrenches. A good vise grip as well. I have patched my last inner tube, I'll just replace them if they go bad from now on.

Anyway I enjoy hearing what people carry so please continue.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So let's be systematic here. If you were going to take a two week bike trip and wanted to be reasonably self sufficient, what repairs would you be willing to do in a campground. I know some would attempt more than me but in general what kinds of things would you do on the road before you used Norman's cell phone to call Snake.

That for me would be the criteria for what tools to pack along.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i saw a nice little kit for you motorized bicycle at walmart this morning. 12.95 and included most of the emergency tools you would need. wrenches. hex keys, screw drivers etc that folds up and would fit nice in pocket. i always carried one of these when mountain biking and their isn't much that cannot be done with them.

Features & Specifications

Featuring 19 tools, the Ultra-Tool contains everything you need to repair and maintain your bike during or between rides, including:
2.5, 3, 4, 5 and 6mm Allen wrenches
8, 9, 10, 12 and 14mm box end wrenches
14, 15 and 16-gauge spoke wrenches
Phillips and flathead screwdrivers
Two tire levers with tire delflators

Shipping Weight (in pounds): 0.75

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Sounds good but my axle nut is 15mm.. I just got through installing a new tire on rear wheels. But the pocket kit would be a good idea no doubt.

I also finally broke down and bought some plastic tire levers. I hope they saved my tube this time. My screwdriver did a number on an old tube. Thank goodness it wasn't the new one.

jg767

May 28, 2008
I always carry a spare tube, 17mm wrench, 3way allen wrench, and a spare gebe belt.
tube is prob most important!

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
From left to right:

1) 10 feet of rope- to suspend either end of your bike in the air
2) Electrical tape- wrapped on a 1" x 3/32 wide piece of aluminum- 10 to 12 feet, very compact
3) Zip ties
4) Tire gauge, tube patches and valve tool.
5) Tire removal tools
6) Small slip joint pliers
7) Small vise grips
8) Cresent wrench.
9) through 13) Combination wrenches (more sizes, less space), 14-15, 9/16-5/8, 12-13, 10-11, 8-9

Second row- on the belt, not in the roll:

14) Leatherman- don't get a cheap imitation. They are well worth the price and work well. A cheap one will convince you combination tools are worthless. They are not, but the cheap ones are.
15) Cell phone

Then you can see where the roll goes- attached with three mini bungees.

BTW- in the hollow area at the back of the "tank", a spare tube will be concealed in there.

Attachments

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Hi guys, I will now offer a COMPLETELY different approach to this concept. Your Toolkit should contain EVERYTHING you need to be able to service your bike while on the road.

I recently rode the Whiz-In near Fresno CA, 65 miles of mixed roads, including some scenic winding country roads outside of town over a river with a one-lane bridge!

Others broke down along the way, but my OHV Whizzer roared along with no problems, Everytime I passed anyone on the side I'd holler out "Need Tools"?

Your tool kit should contain, for the most part, EVERY tool that it takes to service the entirety of your bike.

After the ride, a few weeks later, I tore down 09 with the tools that were in that kit, save the fact that I needed a deadblow mallet (I can't remember what for, oohhh yes, to pop the stem loose) and a 12 inch crescent wrench, as I needed to remove the headset and crankset, the mallet was also usefull to drive out all the races as she went to powder bare-steel!

I did not carry spare parts, as the bike was new, and only had about 7 miles on it before the big ride!
Spare parts are a completely different matter, and I don't want to get into that, especially considering my parts would be different than yours.

How to assemble your toolkit? I go thru the bike, and make sure that every fastener on the bike has a PROPER tool to loosen and tighten it. Every allen, nut, bolt, the pedals etc!
You SHOULD carry a chain breaker, and an extra masterlink.

Then, pliers, a bit of baling wire, a few zip-ties, some tape, a crescent wrench, I carry a 6-way screwdriver, IF you need a socket, then carry a ratchet!

See if I am right?

Mike

AMEN my brother!!!!
I replied similarly in previous toolbox thread. My small-ish Camelback has enough water for hours and hours of hard pedalling (not motoring) plus every tool and common part I need....and it's not in a lumbering pack either...unless you're used to carrying nothing at all ever ever.

Of course, the ubiquitous multi-tool. Make sure you've got a large enough allen for cranks.
Knife.
LED flashlight (small but powerful).
Compass/Whistle/Thermometer combo.
Chain lube.
About 5 inches of spare chain and corresponding chain breaker.
Schrader-valve-adaptor for the one geek in the group who uses Presta valves and is unable to air up at the gas station or with everyone else's pump.
Extra tube.
Tire lever with notch to clip onto spoke for hand free holding.
Patch kit.
CO2 tire inflators...very handy.
Extra brake pads and pins (for V-brakes).
Loctite (unopened until needed to prevent mess in bag!).
Tiny tube of grease, 1/2 ounce sealed (open only when needed to prevent mess inside bag!)
Extra bolts for misc attached items.
Brake cable.
Derailleur cable.
Small package of new, extra long shoelaces.
Spray-on bandage Nu-Skin for road rash. Mini first-aid kit, with added Tylenol/Advil/Vicodin.
Signal mirror.
Ultra-light saw(cable-type).
Iodine water-treatment tablet.
Plastic case with "storm-proof" matches (basically one-inch matchhead).
1 bar of "trioxane fuel" to help start fire if needed.
"Emergency Blanket" (foil type).
Bug repellant (resemling a tiny solid-deodorant applicator).
Food.
Water.

All of the above, minus food and water, fit into a pocket about 5x7 inches, 2 deep, and was carried on every single ride, no matter how short. I've used every single item at least once, nearly all more than once, except for the emergency blanket.... then again, I rode alone into the farthest reaches very very often, with no one to rely on except God and me.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I follow Ilikeabikea and pick up the parts that falls off his bike so I don't need to carry any spare parts and he never leaves home with out his cell phone so lots of times I don't even take a cell phone.
I try to build a bullet proof bike so far so good rotfl
And I'm lucky riding on 2 wheels and flying where angels fear to go(^)
Ride it like you stole it (c)