what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Skarrd, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Tony01

Tony01 Active Member

Yep. It's slightly larger tube than the primary pipe, I cut it in half lengthwise and flattened the end with some grinding to fit, and then cut a d-shaped flat at an angle into the back end of it to give a gripping surface for the hose clamp. It feels very solid and nothing has loosened up in 2 heat cycles (driving 15min and letting cool).

I'm determined to get the most out of this motor before I upgrade. Next mods:

1. Grind the plastic camshaft (have extra). Remove ~.030" radius from base circles and weld/.030" onto the lifters... Get some more lift - CURRENT LIFT is .157" from measuring the cam
    2. Upgrade to a larger carburetor with a straight shot intake.. I'll get rid of that s-manifold I think I'm losing power cause of it
    3. Advance timing 4deg- going to fabricate a plate that moves the magneto approx .220"
    4. Increase compression further to where I have .020" valve clearance, maybe open up the transfer into the cylinder in the head

Bike mods- new design 2-speed (delete one js, delete two chains)
    Full suspension

The current 2-speed while works, is difficult to adjust and keep it aligned. It's out of alignment frequently and I get fast wear in my chains and the power loss is noticeable on the top end. It isn't strong enough but I've proven the concept on this bike. Currently tops out around 45 on level ground. I wanna bump that to 50. It's still a legal displacement and hp for CA Mbs.

Attached Files:

#8681 Tony01, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  2. mogollonmonster

Ordered parts today. Wrist pin bearing(needed), rings(just to have around), and an RT head(because I can)

I'm hoping with the expansion chamber pipe and "alleged" high compression head, I'll get enough power to run a slightly smaller gear, maybe a 40, doubtful a 36, too many hills for that

Since I'm not making the long commute, have a much increased income, and will have a second motor soon, I've decided to aim for 35. My top speed so far is 32.5mph, so it's not too much to ask,

3. tgaydos

tgaydos New Member

got my header in yesterday for my yz80 pipe, i need to do some clean up work on it and hope to have it installed in the next few days, i also put in a new piston and did some cleaning on the fins of the jug, it's starting to look so pretty. pics once i get this motor back in my bike and the yz pipe put on.

4. turnofftheradio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I treated myself to a new engine, but I ordered the wrong front mount size... so I had to swap cases. Doh. New one seems way better than last one started.
    Then my headlight died so I made a new one. I still run it all off white wire. This light is better than the last in performance.

5. racie35

racie35 Active Member

Made some muffler inserts for whizzers..these things work good.

6. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

KOOL , What do they look like?.............Curt

7. racie35

racie35 Active Member

Here's one pic I sized right I guess

Attached Files:

8. curtisfox

KOOOOOOL ! Thanks

9. tgaydos

tgaydos New Member

I swapped seats and added the sisssy bar, as well as the front disc brake it now stops so nicely. the seat is a tad uncomfortable as far as padding but the placement of it is superb. in the coming week i hope to have my yz pipe attached and should be ripping around even better than before.
    brnot
    [​IMG]

10. mogollonmonster

Today I called Duane... Yes that Duane and that call. Tanglebones down. Motor dead.

My RT head came in from Dax a few days ago, which is very nicely made, far higher quality than expected. I tore down my top end to install said head, and discovered horror and carnage. Left side wrist pin retaining clip lost it's ears. The cylinder and piston found them.

From the looks of things, the fragments made their way into the exchange ports, took a stroll through the case to the right side transfer port and left the scene of the tragedy via the exhaust.

A few weeks ago, I heard a nasty metallic noise from the engine, coupled with a noticeable loss of power. I discovered a broken exhaust header weld. After changing pipes, I was back to riding, although a bit gutless, for about a hundred miles. Looking at the grooves in my top end, I can't believe it ran at all.

11. curtisfox

Deadbones now! Duane is nice guy to talk to, big help to me when i needed it. Sorry to here about your engine...................Curt

12. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

I put new front & rear fresh tubes on the BoXer.

The front tube had a big cut in it, would not even hold air for 10 seconds. So I just bought two new tubes and replaced them both. The old rear one will become a spare.

Attached Files:

13. mogollonmonster

It's all good Curt, I've been awaiting this time for awhile, the fated day when the SD Stinger croaked and a call would be placed to Denver. In all honesty, I was going to place that call next week anyway, I was simply informed by the universe to do it NOW. Lesson learned, I'll buy a second motor, week after next. I'm all smiles right now.

14. mogollonmonster

Well, the new motor is in, and running. What a difference, this thing is a new animal! Ten times the motor the last one could hope to be. My speed record was 32.5mph, the new motor broke that with no problem, and the rings still have to seat. Once I'm done with break in, I'll really see what it can do.

15. YesImLDS

YesImLDS Member

Break in, shmreak in. Just go full throttle and seat those suckers in!

16. mezzenger

mezzenger New Member

Ordered a new #41 chain and a 9 tooth sprocket for the final drive to the 44 tooth sprocket.

#8696 mezzenger, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  17. mogollonmonster

Ordered my new Micargi Mustang from Khols for just under $400. Should be here by the eighth. Tanglebones really is deadbones now, the frame has lost it's tensile strength in a real way, sagging a half inch under my weight. I intended to give it away, but I'm unsure of it's safety, perhaps I'll turn it into abstract art...

18. totalnewb

totalnewb New Member

Checked my air pressure and the tightness of a few key nuts and bolts. Checked the top speed 25.1, really need to put that 44 tooth back on. Cruised around town a few times. Wondering if its ethical to sell it with the old steel rims.

19. mogollonmonster

As long as the rims are true, ain't got rust holes and such, they're fine. Everybody has opinions on rims, but for the most part that's all they are. According to me, it's unethical to abuse any rim.

20. Jcs1989

Jcs1989 New Member

Engineered a decent chain tensioner. Makes a world of difference. I can finally pedal my bike without all the solid tension on the chain. dance1