what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Skarrd, Oct 25, 2010.

1. a_dam

a_dam New Member

I've never noticed Lowe's being worse than other stores. When we go shopping in town, there's a Lowes, Menards, and Farm & Fleet within a mile of each other - Lowes and Menards on the same block. Menards is the cheapest, but the store's layout sucks, it is hard to find a sales assistant, and the quality of their products, especially lumber, is so bad I almost never go there.

You never know what you're getting when buying hardware nowdays. Thanks, China. When possible, I put out the extra money for Grade 8, although it often doesn't have a pretty finish on it.

GoreWound,
    I like using shrink wrap on any wiring job, too. Harbor Freight has it cheap. But Plasti-Dip works great if you don't mind the trouble of brushing it on (or dipping) and waiting for it to dry. Dries fast- and is the best seal you can get on a wire job. Also, you have to have enough room (and remember!) to put the shrink wrap on the wire BEFORE soldering! Not a problem with plasti-dip.

2. GoreWound

GoreWound New Member

I never thought of using plasti-dip, that might've been a better plan.
    at least I can take it apart easily if I upgrade my CDI at any point.

the sad fact is that in southern ontario lowes is no worse than anyone else, but still a ripoff. Not sure why but hardware stores have a serious case of suck around here.
    I spent three months trying to find a hardware store that sold 14g galvanize steel wire before I gave up and found it on amazon. the only place I could find that had any only had is in 50ft coils without a spool inside of them for like 4 or 5 dollars a foot. After I bought the two units they had they NEVER restocked them.

3. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

4. Semaj

Semaj Electric Enthusiast

5. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

You can use a small torch or maybe even a bic lighter. I have a small butane torch. just dont hold it in one place too long. A real good hair blow dryer might even work.
    fatdaddy.usflg

6. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

7. redneck82

redneck82 Member

well... took my bike out on the sled trail today... gotta say, bout the hardest riding i've done in a long time... squirelly as a bastard... def gotta get a ski set up for the front... something i can just swap out when i get to a trail head... also gotta find some good jugs to use for wind guards for my hands... only put about 3.5 miles or so but at 19 degrees to start with, had to jump off the trail and head home cause my fingers were hurting to the point i could barely pull my brake and clutch levers... other than that was a good time... bout 20mph in the track of a snow machine...

8. GoreWound

GoreWound New Member

[​IMG]
    never leave home without 'em

9. redneck82

redneck82 Member

i've got some decent snow boarding gloves, but no budget for some good sled gloves... might be better if i actually had hand warmers to stuff in the glove pockets, but alas... i am left wanting... soon though, i'll be all set...

10. GoreWound

GoreWound New Member

never underestimate the power of layers, a pair of those stretchy cotton gloves they sell in dollar stores under a better pair will add some R-value.
    try to get leather or vinyl exterior gloves to cut wind.
    something i learned to be true about socks at least is that one expensive pair will never be as good as two or three layers of inexpensive ones.

11. Davezilla

Davezilla New Member

Nice gloves... I got a set similar to those from Cycle Gear a few years back... leather to keep the wind out and oversized so I can wear cotton undergloves. That pair is also extra nice because none of the seams face the wind and no air gets in... most gloves I've bought before I've had to tape the seams with electrical tape to keep All the wind out.
    I also prefer the gauntlet type gloves like in the pic because they work wonders for keeping the wind from sneaking up your sleeves at 70 mph and below 30 degrees outside...

12. Davezilla

Davezilla New Member

Too busy to mess with the bike today and took a nap this morning before opening up shop so I didn't even get to make my usual taco run... But I did fire it up earlier when things slowed down and filled the shop with 2 stroke smoke again... :D

13. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

Seen folks take plastic soda bottles and make wind guards. Can tape em on JFN (just for now)

Keeping the wind off helps big time and this method is almost free. dunno, just a thought

14. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

15. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

If it gets to 40 degrees, THIS old SOB is stayin in the M.F'n. house. Call me old and weak if'n ya want. Those days of riding in a blizzard are behind me. I aint got NOWHERE I gotta be THAT bad.
    fatdaddy.usflg

16. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

LOL FD. If it gets up to 4 here, I still ain't leaving the house!

17. GoreWound

GoreWound New Member

negative forty: the temperature so cold that the Celsius and Fahrenheit people stopped arguing and went inside.

18. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

LOL, snicker. right

19. MEASURE TWICE

MEASURE TWICE Well-Known Member

I think trail riding might be OK about now, drying out some from rain in CA.

Temp went up 10F so today at 60F and was nice.

I got to putting some of bike back after solving engine problem with valves gap set now to spec and proper W30 engine oil, new condenser and points, plug, it is ready.

I got a new pulley for a belt that was wearing out. I also noticed a cover from my DIY design had been pressing and vibrating where it put a shallow wear spot about the size of a finger nail maybe 16th". I will use shim washers and be sure it does not continue as it is the crankcase cover that the white metal (soft) I saw the spot.

The cover is definitely needed though as a 10 inch diameter spoke pulley that turns from 700 to 1200 rpm is other wise near my leg and I won't be allowing that!

MT

20. mr42ndstblvd

mr42ndstblvd Member

changed my rear tire to a 1.95 knobby to get rid of my chain rub issue took it for a cruise froze my butt off cleaned it up a bit tightned everything up and put her back locked up next to my porch still needs new clutch pads new exhuast pipe front brakes and i may even put rear cantilever brakes on it