what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Skarrd, Oct 25, 2010.

1. greaser_monkey_87

greaser_monkey_87 New Member

Coupla small things today. First, I made an adjustment to my battery box. I don't have a switch for my tail light, so it's set up as a quick disconnect with a nut and bolt through the lid of the battery box touching the positive terminal of the battery, and a wire with an alligator clip hooked to the bolt on top of the lid. But I sometimes use the alligator clip for other stuff, hence the quick disconnect. Anywho, the post wasn't touching down on the terminal, so I took the lid off and added a washer to the underside. Now it's working perfect. Prior to making that adjustment, my brother was following me on his motorcycle and he said my brake light isn't very bright, so I decided to do something about it. I was running a 12v 5w led bulb, but I went to walmart and got a 12v 27w incandescent. I know that's pretty high wattage, but since it's only on when I brake (tail light is separate), shouldn't be that big a deal as I do have a friction generator and scooter rectifier to charge the battery.

2. Cruise

Cruise New Member

Arguably the worst possible start to the day. Pulled over by a cop who has seen me riding in the bike lane as I do, at about 35km/h. He reckons I was going too fast. He asks lots about my engine capacity (which I quote) and he still feels I'm going too fast and that it has to be more powerful than allowed. He's probably right but I've never put it over a dyno! A conversation follows about the legislation which I believe we are both a bit rusty on.
    He then moves on to get all my details, address, licence etc and then takes a few photos of the bike.
    Next comes the warning about how he is supposed to confiscate the bike and take it away for whatever testing might be done on it to prove it's illegal. Also the warning that if I am seen on it again, it will be a $1000 + fine and then of course confiscation of the bike.
    So not only am I now in a position where I have no primary mode of transport, I am pretty much going to be deprived of this bloody awesome hobby that I've come to love.
    At this stage I'm going over the options, but after a quick re-check of our new local rules, it seems they have a lot of room to move if they want to make life very difficult for me.
    Sorry if it's a bit of a bummer to read, but I just wanted to share it with fellow lovers of the bikes.

3. Davezilla

Davezilla New Member

Wow... that's not cool at all...

4. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

dang sorry to hear that Cruise, seems we just get more and more of these stupid freedom robbing communist regulations everywhere, I guess the idiots of this world wont stop until they control every single aspect of the peoples lives, hearing this kinda mess just makes my blood boil, your bike isnt hurting anyone and isnt a threat to one freaking person anywhere but yet they can ticket you and rob you of not only your personal freedom but also $1000+ man I'm sorry to hear about this... freaking stupid and unfortunately for the rest of us its probably coming to a city near us also......

sorry for the mini rant...

map

5. gphil

gphil Member

Not knowing the "RULES" your local police have established, I am wondering the following. I think after all that and all the work put into these creations, I would put lights, turn signals ,insure it and put a plate on and ride it like a motorcycle. What then ticket you for having a under powered bike? I would just to spite. What a lot of people do not know is this. On the sides of the cruiser , police, is "protect and serve." The constitution does not provide for a low agency to protect the people. That is the persons job. So when a cop says we are protecting you that is trash. I could go on and on but believe it or not I really respect the law and officers, they would for the most part take a bullet for you but a lot of them are going overboard. Not my daddy or momma. Tag that bike and ride it. gphil

6. Cruise

Cruise New Member

Oh the whole thing's just a big pity. The bike was really settling nicely, mileage just kept getting better etc.
    I have nothing against cops. We'd be screwed without them. I just think the laws could be more accommodating in regard to these brilliant alternate forms of cheap transport.

7. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Does Australia provide you a way to register and insure your bike?
    What are the moped regulations?

8. Cruise

Cruise New Member

9. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

couldn't get to the "https" page, but was able to get there as "http" for some reason??!!??

looks to be a nasty & over-reaching set of regs specifically aimed at prohibiting anything that is cheap enough for poor folks (or possibly anything that isn't produced by a major corp)

10. survive1990

survive1990 New Member

I think i found my problem and this will help everybody i got my kit from jnmotors and the adapter space is wrong!!! the carb is vapor locking as the engine heats up the carb evaportes the fuel in the bubble and will not pump after the engine sits and cools the fuel returns. The engine does runs and performs great untill the carb is hot to touch. may have cooked the diaphragm DONT install these adapters on your motor. i might have to get a custom one made but im gona pull and old poly-carbonate one i have on a old goped and modify with a dremel using both the aluminum and the plastic i will post pictures. also fuel is being sucked into the the transfers from my pulse channel thats whats making my think the diaphragm:-|| is bad im not shure yet...

#7330 survive1990, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  11. Ooontzler

Ooontzler New Member

Well, today I had to replace my fuel filter.

It was the worst start to a Monday - alarm didn't go off, almost late for work, and halfway there my engine floods out. Tried for several minutes to get her to start back up (HS 142), but she wasn't having any of it. So, I got to pedal the rest of the way to work. Bollocks.

Well, on my lunch break, I thought I'd be all clever and go to a local auto parts store and get some tubing to bypass the (what I assumed was) faulty fuel filter. That didn't work. She peed fuel all over the pavement whenever I opened the valve from the tank, and nothing I could do would stop it. Ugh. Now it was starting to really bother me. WTF had happened...?

So, I manage to pedal her back home and get to work. Completely took the carb apart and blasted it with 100psi of compressed air... and that did the trick! Whatever it was, it was lodged deep somewhere in the intake valve and now she's back to her lovely purring self. The worst part is, I didn't even really need to replace the fuel filter... I bought another one on eBay that looked cooler and was a better shape.

But, now all is working again. Can't wait to ride tomorrow.

12. Davezilla

Davezilla New Member

Won't be working my bike today... gotta take the class to get my state vehicle inspection cert so wish me luck....

13. Henshooter

Henshooter New Member

The model that I purchased seems to be holding up well Map ,had a small issue with cable lube but a squirt of wd40 resolved that

Can't post a link but as soon as I can I'll pm you the link

14. Henshooter

Henshooter New Member

Today I had to blow out my motor to rid it of a serious flood due to trying to start when the coil was fried ,cleaned out the muffler with degreaser and fitted a new coil ,she fired up without any issues ,though I've noticed a slight decrease in high end power ,I suspect it had something to do with the new coil so swapped out the plug for an Ngk and she's running well ,getting 65 kph out of an un modded engine ,no exp chamber just a Bolton 32t sprocket ,must have got a decent motor just the extras like the exhaust coil and kill switch were dodgy but after a friendly swap out from my local dealer Tdr moto everything seems fine for now

15. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

Dave you don't need luck, from the posts you have put on the forum all you need to do is rely on knowledge. Luck runs out!

16. Davezilla

Davezilla New Member

I was actually a bit nervous about the testing because I've been out of the automotive industry for about 18 years... then I was the only one in the class who aced the test :D

17. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Can we get a big ole Texas YEE HAW....!

Great news bro. went in there and tore it up...

Congratulations..!

Map
    .shft.

18. Davezilla

Davezilla New Member

Thanks... My son went with me and he scored 90% on his test too, but he's never worked on cars before other than helping me change his head gasket about a year ago, I told him all he needed to do was go over the study guide and pay attention in the class and he should pass but he scored high too... and out of about 30 of us who tested 6 people failed and most the others just barely passed.

Now that that's over with, he's going to be my vehicle inspector until he starts college this fall, and if all goes as planned I should be open for business by the 14th this month.

19. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Congratulations Dave!
    Grace under pressure... If you can do that with 18 years of rust in the memory banks just think of how well the business will do!

20. Big G

Big G New Member

Today I removed the Delorta SHA clone carb. and re-installed the NTS. I grinded off some of the inside of the drive gear cover so that the 415 chain will stop tearing it up. I discovered that my sprockets are out of line.In other words, I just tinkered with it, the way I always do and I couldn't have a better hobby except for maybe panning for gold.