Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anne,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]From early days of my interest in old automobiles, I found a few [FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]pictures with Mercer Raceabout and Stutz Bearcat - and felt in love with such concept! Of course, didn't know that most of successful American factories produced such variants on their touring models, around and after 1910... Most confusing was calling them speedsters, or runabouts, or raceabout, or roadsters or whatever (never knew origins and purpose of such names – until Wikipedia helped)... I made a lot of sketches, trying to scale-down them, good for motorcycle engine and two teenagers! Didn't know that people did that before me, even making them smaller – just for bigger kids. As in[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT] many such cases, I thought that I must be only lunatic and didn't talk about that to family or friends...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]--- –[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As I told before (on other places?), I wouldn't try to make exact replica of any model, just my interpretation of beloved automobiles (in any category of my interests). So, If wooden chassis is preferred (and it is), I would make any of shown models in that way – no mater on original.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Of course, that should be 3[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]rd[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] or 4[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]th[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] of possibly built projects...The first one is this HPV-quadricycle with additional “[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]electrification[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]”; the second one: classic-style velocar with engine – road-legal; the third-fourth could be any small road-legal “[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]automobile”[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], in any shape that I want... The first two could be possible![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]--- ---[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Rust on quadricycle is just ugly, no problems for construction – simply bad quality of Chinese work (I suppose). Declaration on bicycles was “[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]designed, assembled and serviced in Switzerland[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]”, without note where they are built). Rust could be polished: need more work than money![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ciao,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]P.S.: On attached photos is Stutz Bearcat - [FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]kid-car, but cute![/FONT]

Attachments

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Hello,
If I just saw such wonderful blue mini-Mercer (or that is Stutz?) when I was teenager - I should become crazy. The same as wonderful single-seat Speedster, made by memebr of CycleKart Club! So - such things were possible!
--- ---
One old photo of old and strange kart, with pedals! Predesor of HPV quadricycles or veteran automobiles? Driver was quite proud of his vehicle?
Ciao,
Zoran

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I like the old school body style Wheelbender. Never been keen on star wars styling myself.

It was great hearing and seeing the Stutz and the Mercer in action Zoran :)

Don't worry about being off topic, this is our thread and we can post wot we like in it :D

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Grill kind of looks like a stainless roasting pan, cut out for radiator, and a Honda Gold Wing motor..................Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Grill kind of looks like a stainless roasting pan, cut out for radiator, and a Honda Gold Wing motor..................Curt
----------------------------------------
...funny construction indeed, teechically well done!
I think that with all that parts, componets and work ivolved - I would made real hot-cyclecar, two-seater for cruising around!
However, everybody could make whatever he/she likes!
Zoran
P.S.: Trailer with a pair of classic motorcycles - even more interesting for us?

Attachments

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Wow, what an awesome thread!

I am highly interested in building something like the "Ayatar2" (the blue one, from page 1). If anyone has plans for it, I'd really like a copy. Would make a nice guideline.

I was thinking of building something along those lines, with a few tweaks. A tapered front end, a wind screen, and perhaps a convertible type top. I'd also like to stretch it a bit, for some cargo space and a China Girl between that and the rear wheel.

Anyone got plans for something like that? Don't need exact, just inspiration, so to speak.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Wow, what an awesome thread!

I am highly interested in building something like the "Ayatar2" (the blue one, from page 1). If anyone has plans for it, I'd really like a copy. Would make a nice guideline.

I was thinking of building something along those lines, with a few tweaks. A tapered front end, a wind screen, and perhaps a convertible type top. I'd also like to stretch it a bit, for some cargo space and a China Girl between that and the rear wheel.

Anyone got plans for something like that? Don't need exact, just inspiration, so to speak.

Plans for these old Kinneri (velocars) are hard to find as most were built with whatever came to hand. This is about the only plan I've ever been able to find and then I had to enlarge it from a very small illustration.

Ajatar2 basic chassis frame.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Intrepid Wheelwoman, thank you so much, that's just about what I was looking for! That's a beautiful velo/Kinneri!

Mostly I was curious as to how they had routed the chain, and I like that particular method, lot of potential for gear reduction there.

I'm thinking of something very much like those pictured, but stretched a bit behind the "cockpit" for engine room. A somewhat pointed nose, a windscreen, and a canopy that joins to the windscreen when in use.

I'll power it with a China Girl hooked to a 72t rear sprocket. I'd go fourstroke, but I really like the simplicity of the two stroke.

First step will be to gather up some material, I'm thinking of 1"x2" square tubing for the frame. It will need to be pretty stiff, to stand up to the motor and miles.

Thanks again y'all! This forum rocks!