The Skyhawk GT frame build

GoldenMotor.com

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Gear nut...I got mine today as well. I tried mocking up my engine on it and I think they welded the engine mount off center. With the front of the engine bolted down flush to the mount....the rear engine mount doesn't line up with the seat post....????????

Also, what are the bearings and what not that came with the frame?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You might try shimming the mount with washers or trimmed pieces of soda cans.
I got a GT2A-S, No motor mounts.

I am building another 4 stroke.

The bearings are for the headset. Sized for 1 1/8 fork stem.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
That's what I was meaning. The welds look good. The mounting plate is either not centered on the bracket, or its welded at an angle leaning towards bicycle chain side....hopefully I get it figured out...... :(

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Try cutting the mount, like a pie wedge, and then welding it.
Don't cut the whole thing off unless you really have to.
Hey aren't these frames made of aluminum? Does anything special have to be done when welding on aluminum?

Hope things work out.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Ya man, These things are pretty darned awesome. I have 3 in the shop ready to build. They do take some more time but whew! Worth it. At first they look like fish inspired creation. The tank is like a golden koi fish to me. Haha. They're so light and strong. Not to mention fit the motors perfectly. I found that the DMR revolver single speed rear hub works nicely for the top hat situation. The real bummer is the forks though. It's either Abraham linkage, old MTb, or the hope that one day choppersUS will have triple's again. It's only been 6 months now, maybe by summer they'll get more. It's a
Slooooow boat from china. Lol

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Hey aren't these frames made of aluminum? Does anything special have to be done when welding on aluminum?

Hope things work out.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
I have never welded aluminum, I only have braised it.
What I do know about welding it I learned from reading weldersweb and similar welding forums.
When welding aluminum you need a welder that really knows what they are doing, especially a bicycle frame where a bad weld could toss you into traffic, ect.

The metal must be freshly cleaned properly, it cannot be left out to sit after cleaning.
Proper shielding gas must be used.
If at all possible, try to match the filler alloy to the base metal alloy.
Aluminum comes in a bewildering variety of alloy compositions.

Excepting the melting of metal, it is alot different than welding ferrous metals. There is alot more to it than what I am sharing here. That would take a whole thread by itself.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Runner Mike,

Before you try get to that welded here is my idea.

Add washers to one side of the bottom tube mount to 'turn' the motor the direction it needs to go. I will try to take a picture with with my idea.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
I tried to buy a GT2A-S frame from them last night, not knowing about the black friday sale.
On the check out page it states that they have 0 in stock.
I was very disappointed.
I cancelled the transaction.

Edit: I just checked again and bought the frame with the Black Friday discount.
Perhaps the 0 in stock was just good fortune on my part? Had that not happened I would have paid full price!
Thank you very much abikerider for the info, I really appreciate it!
did you receive your frame yet? I heard theyre out and not getting any anytime soon

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Thank you for this thread, Dogtown Burner!

Got my frame today. It is reeeeally nice!
Yes, it has the typical light scratches on the top tube/ fuel tank.
There is no protection inside the box to prevent this from happening during shipping.

I am sure that I will read this thread many times over as I slowly build up another MB.
Hey man, no problem! I'm glad you got one! I could totally build these all year long. love em! start a thread now.bf.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It looks like it would work fine except... You really want the adapter style that uses thru bolts. I even had to go so far as to silicone the bearing adapters in the frame and use loctite blue on the thru bolts to keep the darned thing from twisting and also coming loose.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Adapter that uses thru bolts?? Sorry, but...I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff. I was told it was a standard American bb. I've searched but there are so many different bb's I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I know I want a 3piece because I want the option of different colored cranks and whatnot. I'm trying to avoid having to take it to my LBS. I actually want to learn the "bicycle" side of MB'ing. Any photos or links would be a great help. I have already learned so much from this site.

The BB and crank set is really the only components left for my build. I feel sooooo lost. Lol