The Skyhawk GT frame build

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
newer shots. my shoulder is healing and i'm already itching for the april 6 race, NEIL!!dnut

And to answer the $ questions from all the phone calls, here's a little list of what you'd be looking at if you built one of these. except the prices have dropped over at gasbike, so you'd be in better shape than I was..

Frame $399. (yes! I paid 399 a month before they dropped it to $189! :-||)
Engine $189
Darcy Dacoste Racing engine mods $559
exhaust $160
Carburetor $70
wheels $100
tires $100
rear hub $70
top hat and sprocket $70
chains $40
Crank $80
BB $20
Front disc hub $50
Front brakes $70
levers $30
seatpost $30
Seat $30
Pedals $30
Cables, ends, zip ties, yada ydada, $30
grips $20
Bars $30
forks $95
stem $20
Add shipping and tax, and you have a rough estimate. I think!

Labor and creative help from Rob, Greg, and Most of all Dave Rust: Priceless
My Labor: frustrating and fun

I hope to see more of these out there.

...or not
Ok, so here's the progress on the all aluminum in-frame-tank cruiser/Mtn hybrid. This frame is set up for MTB sizes, and can be made in any style. I chose to go with Board tracker turned Flat track. The style is definitely a culmination of components that make something unique and perhaps off beat- but thats my style. here is the initial setup in the unfinished (un-started) shop.

I chose to go with a solid triple tree front end, as I wanted a more solid front end than the monarks on my #3 racer. My plan was to go with Navy blue, like a Felt Slater, but it hasnt happened yet...
D-Town, thanks for sharing your build and the complete build list very inspiring build.

Yes you are very fortunate to have a friend like Dave at [email protected]

Peace Crazy Horse.
P.S. Good to hear your made a speedy recovery and good luck at the April Race Bro!

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Before the second flat track race last year Dave Rust helped me finish the bike in a hurry one hot summer weekend. We made the pipe, the intake manifold, and finally the rear caliper mount for the disc brake. He made one on his plasma cutter and fitted it perfectly, knowing that it would woek, but adjustment would not be possible. the point was- it was going to work for the race. After some time had passed, a Customer wanted a replica of my bike but in army green. this gave me pause, as almost everything on this bike was a first time thing. I designed a template on cardboard and took it to KWmachine works. the go-pro / felt engine mount folks. Ken and I became pretty good friends, and we had a few great days together down at his shop making brake mounts and starting a new AMAZE-HUB incredible new rear hub idea which is still being developed. WHen it's done, you'll want one for sure. Anyhow, after great concentration of effort- finally, here is the brake caliper mount that we came up with in order to run a rear brake on a skyhawk. Now available through my website, manufactured by KWmachine.

Attachments

ArtPayne

Apr 14, 2012
Illinois
I must say tht bracket looks beautiful dogtown & I've got to have it because I've ordered this frame without the front engine mount(planning on putting a 4stroke in her)I've read your whole thread thoroughly & runnerMike's & I will start my own thread sometime next week.I thank you both for all the great info n especially the parts list. .bld.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I gotta get me one of those mounts too. My wallet called me a 4 letter word after I looked up the price!
Oh well, the mount looks to be of top quality and worth it!

oldbiker

Jul 21, 2010
Temecula CA.
Hey Jake, It was fun working with you on this bracket. Also riding your race bike was cool. Be sure to wave to me when you start to lap me at the BIG Race on April 13 2013.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hey Jake, It was fun working with you on this bracket. Also riding your race bike was cool. Be sure to wave to me when you start to lap me at the BIG Race on April 13 2013.
Hi Ken
Jake's bike won't be lapping you because your bike is pretty stock
and will be in another class.

You can read all about it in the Motorized Bicycle Races forum.

Nice job on the caliper mount, you make some top of the line parts for these bikes.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Before the second flat track race last year Dave Rust helped me finish the bike in a hurry one hot summer weekend. We made the pipe, the intake manifold, and finally the rear caliper mount for the disc brake. He made one on his plasma cutter and fitted it perfectly, knowing that it would woek, but adjustment would not be possible. the point was- it was going to work for the race. After some time had passed, a Customer wanted a replica of my bike but in army green. this gave me pause, as almost everything on this bike was a first time thing. I designed a template on cardboard and took it to KWmachine works. the go-pro / felt engine mount folks. Ken and I became pretty good friends, and we had a few great days together down at his shop making brake mounts and starting a new AMAZE-HUB incredible new rear hub idea which is still being developed. WHen it's done, you'll want one for sure. Anyhow, after great concentration of effort- finally, here is the brake caliper mount that we came up with in order to run a rear brake on a skyhawk. Now available through my website, manufactured by KWmachine.
Jake, bada$$ racebike, and your website is loaded with all the best goodies one could want! Didn't even know about your website & shop!

Thanks for posting info about your products and I know how much time and effort it takes with your research design and development of motorized bicycle parts for us motorized bicyclists!

Again Mucho's Gracia's Bro!

I think you shared in this thread or another about you motor drive chain with disc brake setup. Really like this setup! I know this setup must've been quite the challenge!

C.H.

dendrophobe

Mar 13, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
Great build! I knew I wanted to use one of these frames before I even discovered this site, so it's nice to see a successful build like this.

I do have a question though. For my build, I plan on using this frame, Monark-2 forks, front and rear discs, and the 66cc silver eagle engine kit on your site. I'd like to be able to have more than one speed pedaling though, while maintaining a classic look. Any particular parts recommendations for crank, bottom bracket, hub/gears to make that all work?

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Great build! I knew I wanted to use one of these frames before I even discovered this site, so it's nice to see a successful build like this.

I do have a question though. For my build, I plan on using this frame, Monark-2 forks, front and rear discs, and the 66cc silver eagle engine kit on your site. I'd like to be able to have more than one speed pedaling though, while maintaining a classic look. Any particular parts recommendations for crank, bottom bracket, hub/gears to make that all work?
I have no idea. Someone else step in... I'm not a pedal guy. Just 4 times 'round and POP POP GO! .wee.

ArtPayne

Apr 14, 2012
Illinois
Hey Jake I received my frame& my 5g flying horse 50cc engine is on its way for this build I also ordered tht sick bracket for the disc brake from your site last night( please contact me asap bcuz I put in the wrong add on the shipping info tnx) but my question is tht I need to know is where did you get your rims n hubs for tht will be compatible with tht bracket& would I be able to order the 2.5" double walled rims from uschoppers with their freewheel rear hub& still have clearance.I also ordered tht monarch ll fork along with Pats 3 piece sprocket a adapter.I will post pics n start my thread as soon as I figure out how to post email via my smartphone.:confused:

Ronzworld

Feb 21, 2014
Regina,Saskatchewan
Gotta say .. "way kEWL" !! I am just about to start a similar build up here in Regina Saskatchewan, Canada and if you can hook it up I 'll take one just like the other one !!
No but seriously ... if you can hook me up with the hub , sprocket and the adapter for the disc I'd buy it ... I have a hydraulic set of calipers w/203mm discs (which I can see by your pain that they will be replaced with ? 160mm ? )
Oh ... I'm Ron from Ronzworld Motorized Cycle in Canada ... and I'm kind of in a hurry as well cause we only get a few months out of the year that it's warm enough outside to do over 40 mph !! lol I ride everyday ... yes even when it is 45 below !
So if you can help I will forever be in your debt ... My plan is to get it built and then travel down your way to the Grange Race track ... I watch every race on you tube .and I am coming down ta ride that track if it's the last thing I do !!!
Later ,
Ron.