The Schwinn Riverside with 79cc predator

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
None of the small engines have oil sensors. If they did you would find an additional wire coming out of the block going to the kill switch.

Regular oil is fine for break in, that's what I have used with no issues.

BelayBoy

May 21, 2013
illinois
thank you guys, i got some ace lawnmower engine oil sae 10w30 .591L guy at the store suggested, to;
1st before starting the engine, keep it off and pull cable couple of times to spread oil
2nd cause you tampered with engine, run the engine for 10 min, move it from side to side, then empty it hopefully that will remove aluminum chips scrap whatever is hidden in b/w working parts
3rd here is an extra oil its only $5 - i was like no thank you

my phone always craps out when i need it, i was going to take pictures of the governor and throttle hanger rod but unfortunately.

the throttle hanger rod had c-clamp washer or lock ring instead of regular loose washer. it is ok that is how it should be as thats what manual shows
19 Arm, Governor
20 Circlip
21 Pin

Last edited:

BelayBoy

May 21, 2013
illinois
now Gear Assy, Governor
there should be little plastic cap on it but i didn't see that one, good god i hope its not left in the engine!!!!!!

all i got was gear and little shim/washer, maybe it didn't come off as i knocked the whole thing out as one pc.

fn cleaning lady threw garbage out

engine.jpg

Some hotos of throttle connection

Attachments

Last edited:

BelayBoy

May 21, 2013
illinois
so i installed "11. 80cc motorized bike gas engine parts - disc brake w mount db-2
e-bay seller boygofast (25739) $31.00" and used bracket to mount it to my front fork. the mount popped of the front hub destroyed my front wheel. i was luck that engine was not on otherwise i wouldn't be here writing this.
will post picture of the setup

Attachments

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
so i installed "11. 80cc motorized bike gas engine parts - disc brake w mount db-2
e-bay seller boygofast (25739) $31.00" and used bracket to mount it to my front fork. the mount popped of the front hub destroyed my front wheel. i was luck that engine was not on otherwise i wouldn't be here writing this.
will post picture of the setup
I'm glad you weren't badly injured, but I'm not at all surpriseed that your brake caliper came loose. There are so many things wrong with how you installed that brake that I don't know where to begin.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Itrepid wheelwoman
See this page
http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=486511&postcount=43

All I did is switched clamp from original 1/2" to one that fits my fork dia.. I have it back on again

Can you throw me a bone here and say what's wrong with it?

What I can see is that mount is made of 16gauge steel and flexes, it should be made out of 14 gauge stainless steel at least.
Okay....... you're quite right, that mount is far too weak and it will flex. Under a really hard brake application it's quite likely to tear through around the securing bolt. What it really needs is a properly welded on mounting, but a strap mount would be acceptable so long as it was made from something like 3mm steel and was properly aligned and tightened down so the disk is running true in the caliper.
Your mounting bolt needs to be a good quality grade fastener and the nut needs to be a good quality one as well. The nut you're using looks like a cheap stamped out one. You also need to have a flat washer and spring washer under the nut at least to make sure it doesn't come undone. Or you could use a nylock nut and a flat washer, but the main thing is to make sure that everything stays tight and doesn't shift under braking.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Finished removing governor and hanger rod, such a strange setup

1st removed flywheel and magneto
2nd removed the pin out of the hole and installed 1/4 - 20 x 0.5" bolt and red lock t.
3rd oppend the side of the block
4th pulled plastic governor and shim out

5th cut the hanger rod and removed it, the shim was attached to it. strange!!!! i thought the shim should be loose, i hope there was no third part besides shim and rod
- if anyone knows please confirm i don't want to start engine and get killed

6th threaded the hanger rods hole and installed the 3/8 bolt 1" long

7th close the block and re-installed the flywheel & cup

Now I wonder is it only my engine that does not have any oil shut off inside of it or it is on all 79cc engines

the engine is soooo small, i think i made mistake by purchasing 79cc i should have gone with 212cc, dang it. side by side the 79cc vs 212cc not much difference in size. the only thing 212cc has is that plastic gear inside while 79cc has everything metal
I gotta chime in on a few things here if I may.

First, did you drain all of any engine oil that was in the engine? The reason I say this is because when pulling the governor parts out it's easy to have a thin shim (plastic or steel) slip off and go un-noticed if you don't carefully inspect completely as in one could stick to the backside of the crank out of view. Don't panic.....hopefully not. Another thing is there should be a shouldered cap on the shaft in the center of the plastic cent. governor gear that looks like black plastic but is actually steel. Hopefully you did find that and remove it.

As far as the plastic cam gears are concerned there is nothing wrong with them if you keep your engine relatively stock. There was one on my original 212cc predator (first gen.) but not on my third gen. 212cc. I have also seen one on a 79 or 99cc and they are just fine even with mild modifications to the engine.

And then as Jeff also stated, the 79c and 99cc do not normally come with low oil sensors.....easy to tell if they did by the wire coming out as he mentioned.

Now for the real concern....in my eyes anyways, is that brake caliper? Is that really a caliper? Scary flimsy thing and I Know the one I used for my jack shaft disc brake on my 99cc build is cheaper than dirt but I not really relying on it much so it's ok. That one you have looks like it's made out of pasta painted black. Sorry but I just call em like I see em......that's all.

Carry on.....you're doing just fine and your hardware for your tank looks good also!

cheers!

Last edited:

BelayBoy

May 21, 2013
illinois
Oh that sweet sound got me all worm but at 8am I got my neighbors screaming out,

need that muffler completed

Such a weard food all nasty, I have no idea its written in mexican language, got it in wmart,

I am not sure if I posted about my throttle linkage, I wish to make this bike to look like steampunk bike :) bronze and copper

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Oh that sweet sound got me all worm but at 8am I got my neighbors screaming out,

need that muffler completed

Such a weard food all nasty, I have no idea its written in mexican language, got it in wmart,

I am not sure if I posted about my throttle linkage, I wish to make this bike to look like steampunk bike :) bronze and copper
I thought that might be something strange in that can as I couldn't figure out the label. Starting a bike with no muffer at 8.00am, - that's naughty. Still I can remember the urge to see if something goes or not and forgetting what time it is :D

I think what the guy at the metal shop was meaning was that you need to make sure the axle is secure in the dropouts and isn't going to try to come adrift under braking.