The Real Deal on California Law.

GoldenMotor.com

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Hi Everyone, Just built my first bike 2 days ago...schwinn jaguar with a chinese 2 stroke...got about 80 miles on it and its great! I live in fresno and kinda woried about the riding laws though...i know nothing about it...so far i just stay in the bike lanes when possible and obey the traffic laws ,,,,been past 3 or 4 cops and they dont seem interested in me .... so far. Anyone from fresno that rides one of these? like to meet other enthusiasts if possible....

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Hi Everyone, Just built my first bike 2 days ago...schwinn jaguar with a chinese 2 stroke...got about 80 miles on it and its great! I live in fresno and kinda woried about the riding laws though...i know nothing about it...so far i just stay in the bike lanes when possible and obey the traffic laws ,,,,been past 3 or 4 cops and they dont seem interested in me .... so far. Anyone from fresno that rides one of these? like to meet other enthusiasts if possible....
The best you can do for yourself (as a Cali MB rider) is read (& do) what Baird says in his first post on this thread! ;)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome David D,

The best you can do for yourself (as a Cali MB rider) is read (& do) what Baird says in his first post on this thread! ;)
Welcome! And the next best thing to do would be to introduce yourself here:Introduce Yourself - Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum at Motorized Bicycle Forum

and then, map yourself here: Motorbicycling.com Members

Cheers, and again, welcome to the forum!

scotto- dnut

Last edited:

oldbiker

Jul 21, 2010
Temecula CA.
After reading this thread, I think it's best to have a lawyer follow you at all times. I thought what a great cheap way to get around town, but not so sure now. California is broke so they are getting real creative, laws seem to change by the hour. We probably break laws were not even aware of daily. It seems to be at the discretion of who your talking to at the time. Having said that, search California motorized bikes for the most up to date laws. But still live in fear.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I am with Venice on this one, we roll all the time and never have a problem. I ride at night all the time with my 14 year old and never get a second look from the po po.

Just ride on fellow brothers....

oldbiker

Jul 21, 2010
Temecula CA.
I got over my fear. I guess to remove fear cost m1 or m2 license, helmet and $18.00 plate. I'm good to go. Thanks for the response. Everybody is real helpful on this site.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I know how you feel,,,
I beat a local town-code ticket a few years ago,,,
I still cruise by the court house/cop shop/town hall EVERY time I am in the area ;)
it is a good thing to thumb your nose at them when you are right !!! laff

oldbiker

Jul 21, 2010
Temecula CA.
Can anyone point out a good helmet? I like the look of the skater helmets, but do they meet the requirements? I don't know if there is a thread on helmets, but it would be nice to see all the helmets being used. I'm sure if you go with the board track bike it would be a period look, and a modern bike, you would go with the contemporary helmets. It would, I think make a interesting and valuable thread.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
skateboard helmets DO NOT meet the requirements. that's what i was wearing when i got my ticket.

you need a DOT helmet with a gas-motored bike.

the one i have is actually just as comfortable as my pro-tec, though. it's an old police riot helmet. looks a little bigger than a half-shell.

jkuchta

Jul 10, 2009
Los Angeles
Also, I don't like to throw anyone down here, but the post by avnostlga, page 9 on CA. Law Info is the worst one I've seen. It's completely inaccurate and will get you into trouble so fast it will make your head spin if you follow it. Here's why:

These motorized bicycles [gas powered] have a centrifugal clutch that takes the place of the "automatic transmission" referred to in the section. I've only had one person try that in court; it didn't work and the result was a $181 fine.
Actually, avnostlga is correct. The 2-stroke motors that most of us use are equipped with a simple in-out clutch, not a centrifugal clutch. There is no part of these motors that can be in any way mistaken for an "automatic transmission" or any part thereof.

760motorbike, you may have been thinking of the tomos-style mopeds that are pedal-started but do have a centrifugal clutch, as is evident by the fact that you can sit at a traffic light on a tomos-style moped with the engine running, despite the fact that there is no clutch control operated by the rider.

On our bikes, to stop moving and keep the motor running you must engage the clutch manually.

The fact that this entire thread was started based on a traffic stop initiated by a LEO that was using a "cheat sheet" that specifically excluded the bike the rider was on (due to pedals being present) just goes to show how vague the CA vehicle code is concerning power-assisted bicycles, and by extension how broadly LEOs are interpreting these "codes" that do or don't actually exist.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i talked to a newport beach sargeant about the cheat sheet, and he said the way it was worded is confusing.

it says "...gas powered bicycles and electric bicycles w/o pedals,..."

it sounds like it's saying gas powered bicycles without pedals are ok, but it's just written out badly. the two should be seperate.

also, the vehicle code is actually pretty clear on the laws, it's just hard to find them all.

and the cop that stopped me is the guy who wrote the cheat sheet. he knew every low-speed vehicle code by heart.

b'sides all that, i'm legal now, so i don't care about nitpicking the details anymore.

Dec 4, 2010
Welches, Oregon
Where does it say that you need turn signals? Headlight and tail light are needed for night riding only. Brake light always.

They need to take everything in the code referring to mopeds, motorized bicycles, scooters, electric bicycles, and quadricycles, - and start from scratch. The way it is now , it is way to difficult to find out what you need for each.
You don't need turn signals. plain and simple.

Dec 4, 2010
Welches, Oregon
Hallelujah! I too have gone round and round reading confusing and contradicting DMV rules.
It's very hard for me to believe the head/brake/turn lights requirement. That alone would be enough to put me off of a conversion.

The last detail my decision is hanging on is insurance. I've visited two police stations and called twice - still no insurance answer. Called the Calif Dept of Insurance a few minutes ago. Essentially, they didn't know zip, and I stopped talking to the guy after a semi-frustrating circular argument regarding insurance requirements (I won't try to recreate - gives me a headache!). Wish I had asked the traffic judge on Tues.

I've also talked to insurance companies, Progressive, for instance. They don't write "motorized bike" insurance.

So, where are you calif people getting your insurance (if you are)?

bluesjr
You don't need turn signals!!!!!!!!!!

KevXR

Nov 18, 2010
Nor Cal
Good posts:
Page 1 by Blaidco
Page 12 by 760motorbike

First, realize that police officers are people, not robots from a factory. Just because one smiles are you ride by him/her does not make you legal. The next officer or in the next county might have instructions to tighten up on motorized bicycles. Usually after an accident, there is a crack down.

Second, you can get a DUI on any bicycle, not just a motorized one. Whether you're peddling a Schwinn or driving a Suburban, the law is the same. In fact, all traffic laws are the same.

I've had a motorcycle license since 1972. I may go slightly faster than the posted speed limit at times, but I don't mess with absolutes. No helmet is an instant bust. As is not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.

If you don't want to get a ticket or constantly look over your shoulder or spend hours talking to police officers; I highly recommend you get a low profile as possible and make your motorized bike compliant. Low profile includes wearing a DOT motorcycle helmet. A quiet muffler, and as much of the equipment as required.

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
So it is not a LAW at all it's a code. There is a major difference.
If you have a round red fruit that does not automatically make it an apple, there are many types of red round fruits.

My point being, is this is a constitutional issue and your RIGHT to free travel. If people actually understood their rights they would never even bother to get a drivers "license" or register their "personal conveyance mode of transportation" << notice not a "vehicle"

All one needs is "reasonable doubt" and a jury trial. People just pay the fines because it is easier! I would go to trial and make them prove that my bike is indeed a "moped" or "motorized scoooter" which it is not. Even the codes you mentioned do not mention "motor assisted bicycle" which is what you have, there is no code for those and I would insist that is what I am riding.

It is up to them to prove otherwise. The problem with people in this country is that it iis easier and more convenient to accept whatever kind of crap the so called authority wants to throw out to earn revenue. This is why we are losing ALL our rights aside from the DMV issues.

Papers please!!!

Fight it! Take it to the supreme court, quit bowing down because some butthead in a blue suit says something is illegal. It is NOT. The laws I follow happen to be written on a few documents like the bill of rights and the constitution. If a law is made that goes against those principles, then it is not really a law at all. I am enjoying my RIGHT to life, liberty and "Pursuit of Happiness", seems like they might be trying to infringe on my Constitutional Rights!

I would demand my RIGHT to a trial in an article 3 court and remove the case from the city and state revenue collectors.

I mean come on! What's next? Going outdoors and walking without a helmet?

It is the Governments job to provide REMEDY and they must. They cannot put a requirement on an impossibility. A vehicle has a VIN number identifying it as a vehicle, a bicycle is a bicycle not a vehicle not a moped not a scooter etc. If I must have insurance then the regulators must provide a provision that insurance companies must insure me. Same reason this "mandatory healthcare" stuff will never fly.

Last edited: