Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
There are no light switches or lights either. They study by light of the sun by day and oil lamps by night. They don't use computers and only work with pencils and paper and slide rules. He made this post at the library, his only access to the internet.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Electric bicycles have come a long ways. Many have modular battery packs that are easily removable. If you have multiple batteries you can do a quick swap out with a hot one while you bring the other indoors for charging. As a word of caution you should never leave a battery charging indoors while unattended.

jackal86

Apr 9, 2015
Austin, TX
Hey y'all. Newbie rider from Austin here. Been riding and building bicycles since middle school and have only been messing with motors since March of this year. Frustrating at times but very fun. I try to go on 30 mile rides a couple times a month, usually starting near my place in south-east Austin, north through UT campus, then back home through downtown. Such a great way to relax and clear my head. When my girlfriend starts school back up in the fall she'll be borrowing my car for her commute and my bike will be used for my short daily commute to work. Hopefully it's a little cooler out by then.

About my ride.
I'm running a Flying Horse Dragonfire 80/66cc engine (the one with the internal CDI) with an imitation Dellorto racing carb, mounted to a Huffy Good Vibrations Beach Cruiser. Running a 41 tooth rag mounted rear sprocket and hitting 32mph on long straight-aways. That's all the speed I'm really looking for, for now. Other than the parts described and the banana seat with chopped supports, everything else is stock. Next on my list is a springer fork, and heavier duty wheels that I can put a more reliable sprocket mount on. (My current hub is a 1.59 inch diameter and would require a custom made adapter. Not an investment I'm looking to make on such flimsy stock wheels.) My mission with my bike is to build something that is just as stylish as it is reliable, and I think I'm getting there. I'm equal parts inspired by the look of cafe racers and board trackers.

If anyone in the surrounding area wants to go for a ride or grab a Lone Star and talk about bikes, hit me up!

Attachments

hescalera1

Aug 20, 2015
Plano, Tx
Biknut,

My name is Hector Escalera. I live in Plano, Texas. Let's have coffee sometime and talk about what I want to do with Motorized Bicycles, which may be very useful to you.

Since you lived and ridden bikes in Dallas for over 40 years, I would like to pick your brain as well. We're probably in the same age group.

I live in Plano near Custer/Park Blvd. If you'd like to come by.

I do plan on building gas powered bicycles.

hector

Last edited by a moderator:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hi Hector, I'm in Plano a lot running service calls, and know the area well. I'll be glad to meet with you sometime, and talk about motor bicycles. I'll have more time next month when the weather cools a little bit. I'm going to send you a pm.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Rode the critical mass last night in Dallas. There was 8 eBikes there, all accepted without question.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
"Rode the critical mass last night in Dallas. There was 8 eBikes there, all accepted without question."
Good news. Did you do some pedaling, just to be a sport about it?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
"Rode the critical mass last night in Dallas. There was 8 eBikes there, all accepted without question."
Good news. Did you do some pedaling, just to be a sport about it?
I usually always pedal, especially when I ride with the bicyclers. All the Storm's were pedaling on pas.

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
WOW I saw a MB today here in Lufkin TX I am now not the only one in town was riding with my mom in her car so was unable to stop . I only got a glimpse but it was a bicycle and it wasn't being peddled . Now I wonder if he or she will find this site .

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
WOW I saw a MB today here in Lufkin TX I am now not the only one in town was riding with my mom in her car so was unable to stop . I only got a glimpse but it was a bicycle and it wasn't being peddled . Now I wonder if he or she will find this site .
Could you tell if it was a china girl, or electric? I'm seeing more electric's now than gas bikes

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
Well... I rode around my freshly built 66cc with a Piston matched Puch head and general cleaning up / matched ports.... The thing has 36T in the rear with a 26" and a 2" tall balloon tire, and it MANAGED to push me forward from a VERY low speed (although It took a bit of clutch work and it wasn't exactly dead stop).

If this this thing "self propels" me from a dead stop... Seems like it won't be so legal (greyzone) anymore here in TX... I blame my 5" 110 lbs short a** self ;)

we'll see... we'll see...

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Well... I rode around my freshly built 66cc with a Piston matched Puch head and general cleaning up / matched ports.... The thing has 36T in the rear with a 26" and a 2" tall balloon tire, and it MANAGED to push me forward from a VERY low speed (although It took a bit of clutch work and it wasn't exactly dead stop).

If this this thing "self propels" me from a dead stop... Seems like it won't be so legal (greyzone) anymore here in TX... I blame my 5" 110 lbs short a** self ;)

we'll see... we'll see...
It will never be an issue as long as you make it a habit to pedal away from every stop, or at least make it look like you are.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I'm here in Tyler now, got my bike tunning again. I seen a guy in Longview selling bikes on CL but I never met him.

Anyone in Tyler to ride with?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm here in Tyler now, got my bike tunning again. I seen a guy in Longview selling bikes on CL but I never met him.

Anyone in Tyler to ride with?
Riding a motor bicycle in Texas is kind of a solitary endeavor. Even in Dallas I'm lucky if I see more than one gas bike a year.

Electric bicycles are getting a lot more common though. I might see between 5 and 10 of those a year.