Texas Riding Blog

Discussion in 'Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles' started by biknut, Jan 2, 2011.

1. JohnDoe

JohnDoe New Member

If you do ask them anything else then I would like to request that you ask about a CC limit. And body panels and brake lights....

2. biknut

biknut Active Member

My advise is, stop poking the bear. They're never going to give you the answer you want to hear, because they can't. There's a problem in Texas law concerning motor bicycles.

Size of the motor, or how fast it goes doesn't matter. Texas law states that all motor vehicles are considered self propelled. All that matters is, is it considered self propelled, or not? If it is, it's a motor vehicle, and has to be licensed, and insured, and the whole nine yards.

The problem is there's no defined definition in Texas law of what constitutes self propelled, but one thing is for sure. If a cop sees you ride off from a stop without pedaling, your bike is self propelled, and you're riding an illegal unregistered moped, or motorcycle. Having to pedal away from a stop is your only defense in court.

3. JohnDoe

JohnDoe New Member

I see what your saying, have the big engine and sports bike like body just be sure to pedal away from a stop. Or would that be abuse of the grey zone? I'm not planning on being reckless just want a really of the wall bike. (That's why in my self intro thread I asked about registration.)

4. biknut

biknut Active Member

China Girl sighting in Carrollton. I was across the street and noticed something looked funny about the bicycle waiting at the light. Then I realized it was a china girl at large. Then less than a week later I saw another one in the same area of town.

[​IMG]

I also ran across 3 eBikes at large in the last month.

This A2B was riding close to my house in Farmers Branch

[​IMG]

I was riding my Storm on the White Rock Trail and came upon another Storm riding toward me.

[​IMG]

And another day while riding my Stealth I spoted an iZip with a front hub motor in Carrollton

[​IMG]

5. biknut

biknut Active Member

That makes 5 motor bicycles I've run across in the last month. That's a record for sure. Usually if I see 1 china girl in a year that's about average, but I've been seeing maybe 4 or 5 eBikes a year, and now it seems like sightings are increasing.

6. biknut

biknut Active Member

I spotted a china girl at large last night riding in Carrollton.

7. biknut

biknut Active Member

Ran across another eBike today riding in Farmers Branch. This is John, and he's 80 years old. He said he can't see well enough to drive anymore, so he bought this bike so he can grocery shop and run errands, and whatnot.

Seems like I'm running across eBikes at large in greater frequency.

[​IMG]

8. Holyman92

Holyman92 New Member

Hi I love in la Porte and I haven't been hassled yet, but today I'm going on a 30 mile or so ride to test my luck and see how it goes.

[​IMG]

9. biknut

biknut Active Member

#1129 biknut, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  10. biknut

biknut Active Member

Saturday I was out riding in Carrollton Texas when I came across this eBike. The owners name is Joe. Joe said he'd owned this bike for a couple of months, and he loves it.

[​IMG]

11. Holyman92

Holyman92 New Member

12. ri9rashed@gmail.com

ri9rashed@gmail.com New Member

Hum, This is a good idea. This type of motor bicycle may make life easy and comfortable. It may reduce the hassle of jerking on the street.

13. biknut

biknut Active Member

There's rouge china girl in my neighborhood. I've seen him riding past my house a couple of times now in the last few months.

Last week a couple of my friends and I were out riding our eBikes, and we spotted a friction drive motor bicycle going down the street in Carrollton

14. biknut

biknut Active Member

Spotted at last months Dallas critical mass

[​IMG]

15. biknut

biknut Active Member

This was April Critical Mass in Dallas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The after party

[​IMG]

The after, after party

[​IMG]

16. biknut

biknut Active Member

China girl at large sighting today. I was in Irving Texas near McArthur, and Pioneer Pkwy about 2 pm. I didn't get a good look. I think it was a black beach cruiser, with a black fellow riding it.

17. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy New Member

I spotted a black MB at the new Wal-Mart near us last week. (Sorry, I forgot to take a picture.) My wife was in a hurry, so I didn't get to check it out.