Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I never made it to Strokers 420 fest. I kind of got sidetracked after stopping by someone else's 420 party. I was only there to read the articles.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Spent last few days out in north houston just cruising around with my buddy jay. Been a blast for sure. Had to cut the ride short monday due to jays bike killing a wheel bearing and my whizzer tank cracking in the tunnel. I happen to have a couple spare tanks - one is 3/4gal and other is standard 1/2gal and chose to mount up the slightly larger 3/4gal to get me by. I have doubts about the whizzer tank being able to be fixed so that it doesn't leak in the same spot, even after I seal it. Shame cuz I really liked the look of that tank. Even more so as the texas showdown is right around the corner. Ill be entering my bike no matter what as I've already pre registered. Got jays bike fixed up for stoopid cheap as we went to sprockets bike shop in porter and scored new rim for 4 bucks. Repacked bearings with high temp wheel bearing grease and he's scrubbing off the rust with steel wool and will have shinny new chrome steel wheel in no time \m/ noticing that most of new wheels I've seen are made of aluminum. Getting pretty hard to come by good steel used wheels.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
The texas showdown is a car/truck show in houston on june 1st and 2nd at sam houston raceway in houston. If it has wheels it can be registered. Since there isn't a specific class for motorized bicycles my beast is registered in the specialty class. If we can generate enough intrest and get more motorized bicycles entered they will deff consider a seperate class just for us.

ElGallo

Jul 1, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I looked up the 42 members, there's onlyone active and the last activity was in oct of last year.

Well just the other day i saw a low and stretched motorized bicycle pass by my house. Unfortunately i wasn'table to catch up to him and say hello. But from what i saw it looked nice.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is the bike I'm entering in the show. Its also my daily rider \m/ its not show ready just yet but its well on its way. I've got just a few more details to paint up and a little rust to polish up. Stoopid excited
I think you already won. Just go get the trophy.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
I think you already won. Just go get the trophy.
Lol - its not over yet. I don't know for sure if any other bikes will enter and after seeing the artistry here on the forum its not a sure bet. That being said I kinda did make space on my mantle for a shiny new trophy bwahahahahahahaha. \m/ >.< \m/

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yesterday I rode Stunner downtown and around. Kept me away from home because my wife had stuff she wanted me to do.

MBNewbie84

May 5, 2013
mckinney
Im new to Texas and was thinking of getting a motor for my bike. Some people have told me different things about the laws here in Texas. So.... I just wanted to see if I could get some advice. What is the max size engine that is allowed on the road? I was looking at a 80 cc but im not sure if that would go too fast. Also confused about the road laws. Any help would be great before I start on this project. Thanks in advance! .cs.

obesepolice

Apr 5, 2012
irving, texas
50cc is the limit for registration and what not. Not that anyone could tell the differnece between a 49cc and a 66/80cc by sight. so you could get the bigger motor as I did and tell anyone in question that it is 49cc. I havent really been riding mine alot lately. but when I do I ride like im riding a bicycle not a moped. even though I can keep up with local traffic, i still ride hugging the sholder.

obesepolice

Apr 5, 2012
irving, texas
depends on what the local PD says. search biknuts posts on this subject he has alot more knowledge than I about the subject. As far as I know you dont have to, but it is a grey area in texas on how to handle motor bicycles legally. I spoke with my lawyer about the subject, he told me don't ride it like a jackass, and if anyone asks its a 49cc.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I suggest the Dax Friction Drive. Skip the in-frame chinese motors.

www.thatsdax.com
If you still really want a chain drive, Dax sells a version of his kit with the chain drive.

I live near McKinney if you want to see mine sometime. There's a few of us near Dallas. Welcome to new members! There will be many more of these bikes because they are fun and practical, and save gas $.

Thanks for the advice! Now im just researching motor kits...

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
According to the letter I got from the DMV in Austin, you cannot register a bicycle in Texas. A motorized bicycle is a bicycle to them, whether it is electric or gas powered.

If you want to register it, you will have to go through the process of making it a custom motorcycle. Other than that, you can't get it registered in TX.