Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Before the thread derails, a jerky guy going by "photos by mark" will probably troll the thread and quote 10 pages of law about scooters that don't have anything to do with motor assisted bicycles. lol.

Yeah, if you ride it like you would a bike (yielding more to traffic, staying right, and pedaling or ghost pedaling) you shouldn't have problems, except for the occasional "idiot call". (An idiot calls and says you did something illegal, cops sniff you out and run your license, tell you have a nice day).

TX has a cager-culture, so if you are on anything but a cage, you are automatically a suspect for all kinds of things. "You WILL get calls, because that is just strange!" an East TX Sheriff told me after pulling me over "for riding in the middle of the road". lol. I said I'm staying in my lane, and not doing anything illegal. He threatened to cite me for a failed rear blinker (pretty sure he turned it off while I was "standing over there".) Be polite and keep it short.

MBNewbie84

May 5, 2013
mckinney
Looks like I have some more research to do, LOL. I have a chopper style bike. Right now I just need a way back and forth from work. Appreciate all the help! .trk

MBNewbie84

May 5, 2013
mckinney
Before the thread derails, a jerky guy going by "photos by mark" will probably troll the thread and quote 10 pages of law about scooters that don't have anything to do with motor assisted bicycles. lol.

Yeah, if you ride it like you would a bike (yielding more to traffic, staying right, and pedaling or ghost pedaling) you shouldn't have problems, except for the occasional "idiot call". (An idiot calls and says you did something illegal, cops sniff you out and run your license, tell you have a nice day).

TX has a cager-culture, so if you are on anything but a cage, you are automatically a suspect for all kinds of things. "You WILL get calls, because that is just strange!" an East TX Sheriff told me after pulling me over "for riding in the middle of the road". lol. I said I'm staying in my lane, and not doing anything illegal. He threatened to cite me for a failed rear blinker (pretty sure he turned it off while I was "standing over there".) Be polite and keep it short.

Thanks .... Its funny you say that because where im from, motorized bikes are fairly common, its just idiots riding like asses that give others a bad name. Here any time I asked about it people looked at me like im some kind of delinquent...LOL. But around here the police don't seem to have much to do so ill be good

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thanks .... Its funny you say that because where im from, motorized bikes are fairly common, its just idiots riding like asses that give others a bad name. Here any time I asked about it people looked at me like im some kind of delinquent...LOL. But around here the police don't seem to have much to do so ill be good
Motorized bicycles are common in McKinney? What do you call common? I did meet someone a couple of years ago that told me they had a motor bicycle shop somewhere around there.

obesepolice

Apr 5, 2012
irving, texas
There are two others here in Irving that ride them, I haven't had the opportunity to talk at them just yet. I imagine as soon as I am done rebuilding mine again that will change. The bikers that live up and down my street love my bike.

MBNewbie84

May 5, 2013
mckinney
Motorized bicycles are common in McKinney? What do you call common? I did meet someone a couple of years ago that told me they had a motor bicycle shop somewhere around there.
No, not at all, I havent seen any here in McKinney. I meant where I am originally from, Philadelphia.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
In TX when police don't have anything to do they answer idiot calls, or run radar on "strange" vehicles. I had a cop here tell me I was speeding, and running a bunch of invasive questions by me, till I ever so politely pointed out that I saw him turn 1 mile behind me, naming the road, and I'd been going 55 (in a car, not motorized bicycle) for the last 5 miles. hahaha He finally got back in his car and went away.

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
I live in Hudson texas a town just out side of Lufkin tx . I have been riding a gas powered bicycle for a few years now . When I first started the local law pulled over to the side of the road and waited on me to get there . Then they told me to meet them at the police station about 5 miles away and I did . They pulled out their law books and looked and tried to find anything they could to get me with . Finally they tossed me an orange safety vest and said wear that for your own safety . Oh and wear your helmet also . At that time I had a 49cc motor which was 1cc away from what they thought would make me fall under any kind of laws . I now have upgraded to a 80cc motor but its not stamped on the motor so what they don't know wont hurt me lol . I do wear the vest and helmet , well most the time . I have also ridden all over the larger city of Lufkin with no problems . I obey all traffic laws and ride on the shoulder of the road if there is a paved shoulder . I would never ride on the sidewalk even if we had any . This is a very pedestrian unfriendly area . I am the only one in this area that has motorized bicycle that I know of but I do get asked where can I get one of those pretty often . When I tell them I built it from a kit most seem to lose interest it getting one , but a few have gotten the info from me on where to get a kit so perhaps one day I'll see another one on the road with me .

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
I have heard but haven't looked them up but there are bicycle theft alarms available at least if they are stealing it it will be making a noise lol

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Got a tip on another mber in my area in my parents neighborhood \m/ so me and my buddy jay rode out there to see if we could find him. We rode the neighborhood for an hour or so before dude found us. Dude is from cali and just recently moved down here. Small world lol \m/ his bike is pretty plain looking with a few upgrades like a shorty intake and the speed demon short x chamber. Dudes bike flies though. My buddies bike is fairly slow and completly stock xcept the carb so I ride a little off idle so he can keep up but I'm looking forward to riding closer to speed with cali fred \m/ >.< \m/

Attachments