Sportsman project coming up...questions

GoldenMotor.com

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
at this stage Im stalled, as I seem to be missing something in my front fork setup. maybe a lower crown race?
Ive asked a question about it in the Wheels, Brakes and Suspension section.
any help appreciated.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
have come to a standstill.
got some advice in the other thread in the wheels section, but basically, dunno how to fit these springer forks up to a worksman. there's no lower crown race on the fork, & none in the headset that Pat supplied to me, & the local bike shop didnt have a lower crown race for it either (they said it comes as part of the headset & they would have to order another headset in)
surely someone has used these springer forks with a worksman frame before, & knows what to do?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Get a race off of an old set of forks. You can sneak them off with a gentle tap of a chisel. They virtually ever never wear out. I have never seen any wear out my self.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
if i had an old set of forks, that would work fine !
the bike shop have told me to book it in, (one week wait) & then they will order a headset once they've measured it up (these springer forks have a graduation on them at the base that is slightly larger than the 22mm tube, so they didnt have anything on hand that would fit it) & set it up for me.
I havent booked it in yet.
I will ask around & see what else is a possibility, & what others have used on the bottom of these forks.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Here's a pic of the steerer tube. The guy at the bike shop didnt know what to make of it.
The bearing in the worksman headset doesnt seat on it as it is. So it definitely seems like it needs a fork crown race. It also has that graduated part that is a little bigger diameter than the 22mm tube.
Any input from someone who has used these forks on a worksman frame would be most welcome :)
thanks

Attachments

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Ok did some research: the fork crown race is normally only sold as part of a headset.
So I will either order in another headset or see if I can obtain a spare fork crown race separately from the bike shop that is lacing my wheels tommorow (different bike shop).

Last edited:

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I suppose what puzzles me is: Ive seen a number of worksman or other frames with the exact same forks in various pics, on this forum & in other places; they must've fitted them up somehow.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Brett,
There are a few different size crown races. Worksman does not supply the crown race as they supply it with their forks instead. Most bike shops, at least in the states, carry crown races separately. I have a bag full of them here but that certainly does not help you. Even then, I would need to know the size of the press area on your forks.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
the guy that's lacing my rims recycles a lot of bike parts so he had a fork crown race :)
Now I have another challenge, see pic. If I cut down the steerer tube, it seems that the bracket on the fork will be at too much of an angle to sit right. What the heck do I do here?

Attachments

Last edited:

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
the guy that's lacing my rims recycles a lot of bike parts so he had a fork crown race :)
Now I have another challenge, see pic. If I cut down the steerer tube, it seems that the bracket on the fork will be at too much of an angle to sit right. What the heck do I do here?
Im thinking that one option is to go to my local engineer & ask him to cut a piece of pipe as a spacer, to go below the fork bracket?