Sportsman project coming up...questions

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Put a washer above the bracket and then tighten a nut down on it or rotate the bracket till it sits flat. Then put on the front wheel and see how it looks. I trim fork steer tubes all the time to fit the bike the fork is going on. I have never used that brand of springer but I would guess it will work fine. When triming a steer tube run the upper race down the threads to the point where you'll make the cut, then cut with a cutoff wheel. With a sanding pad on a hand held grinder sand the top of the steer tube flat to the race and then back off the race to chase the threads. Before you cut the tube carefully measure your stackup with all the headset pieces so you don't cut too short. If you cut it too short it's scrap. Gotta run!

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
It's ok, cutting it down wont work.
I have tried loosening everything on the fork & the bracket still wont sit flat. The fork is setup for the bracket to sit flat at the top just under the locknut. I will get a spacer made up.
(the only other option would be to heat & bend the bracket). I think a spacer will be easier.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I am looking at the picture and it looks like the flat area on the upright front bars is long enough to drill new holes to bring the spring down????............Curt

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
yep that would've been another way to do it. decided to order a spacer tho.
prob with drilling the holes 18mm lower would be that I'd end up cutting & grinding off the tops of the flat bar, which means you ending up going thru the chrome coating. you could touch up the ends with silver paint, but I didnt really wanna go that way.
in hindsight if I couldve found a fork with a 6 1/2" steerer tube instead of 7 1/2", wouldve been just right.

Last edited:

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Found this in another thread. Was happy to see that someone else had come across this before with the schwinn springer repops.

Originally Posted by Venice Motor Bikes
Sometimes it works well to cut a shim from some pipe to install between the upper bearing race & the spring mount to keep the angle of the spring correct & working smooth.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
It sounds like you have a fork for a girls bike they have a 1" longer head tube. But the spacer should work just fine..........I love the color combo.........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thanks Curt. Yep it's the generic fork that Bikeberry & various ebay & other sellers have.
Yeah headset spacers sound handy Harry
Here it is with the stainless spacer that the engineer did for me
AWESOME! That looks peachy as they say, factery made.........Curt

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks Velo.

Anyone know where to get a cool stem? Suggestions?
I wouldnt even mind something in black. Or in chrome. Something vintage or cool looking, maybe 2 bolt rather than just one bolt. 22.2mm quill with 25.4 bar clamp.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
toolbox / oil tank done.
went to the bicycle shop to pick up wheels that had been laced to my hubs.
rear rim was new, front one was older & wider than the rear. wasnt happy with that.
they reckoned noone would notice...
but i noticed straight away...
they're gonna look for a new one for the front, to match the rear.

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Brett,
The tool box looks great. Nice pin stripe. I usually run Vintage Schwinn stems as they are a nice forged steel and have the 1" clamp area with 7/8" stem area. The most common, at least in the states, is one from a Schwinn Stingray of about 1970 vintage. Another one I really like is an Ashtabula BMX stem which is basically the same Stingray style stem but has a black oxide finish and is even stronger as it was designed for BMX.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
As you may've noticed earlier in the thread, I hadnt yet gotten a satisfactory solution to the bicycle shop's lacing job. The arrangement was for them to lace my own 2 new hubs to 2 black rims, with the rims & spokes being supplied by them.
When I got there:
After having contacted me to come & pickup, I went there to pick up; then when I got there, they suggested I come back another day as the spokes hadnt been ground off yet.
Then... the rear rim was new, the front one was older & wider than the rear, & didnt look as tidy as the rear.
So now they say they're gonna look for another new one for the front, to match the rear. They are very slow so I dunno when that will be done.
They also had lost my sprocket & Shimano cb e110 brake arm & strap.
So all in all I decided they are pretty sloppy.
So...Im ordering a wheelset from Norm at Venice bikes. He has a nice set with black anodised rims, (should suit my flat black colour scheme) cb110 rear hub (fits Pat's sprocket adapter) & the spokes are 12g (best I can get here in NZ is 14g). Thanks Norm!
Problem solved. When the local bicycle shop finishes the other wheels I will sell them off to recover some costs. And never go back there again :)

Last edited:

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Started to put a few things together.
Norm shipped my wheelset today so that'll be here soon :)
I noticed the coil lead fell out of the spark plug boot. I guess that's my welcome to a Chinagirl. Do I need to replace this? Or will it work if I just push it back in?

Attachments