Sportsman project coming up...questions

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pat, those seats look really really good! Will you be mass producing them? If so I would consider buying one for my v twin build. Also have you considered cutting a hole in the center like the original seats had?

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Lurker,
Yep, I will have seats available and will announce in swap and shop. I have thought about making some mods to the seat pans and cutting out a hole in the center. The pans I use have a stiffening rib rolled into the pan length wise and also a flat bar stiffener on the seat bottom so cutting out the middle will be a pain. I may eventually make custom pans, but for now these pans will have to work to keep the finished seat affordable.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
For the bars Im going for cruiser style rather than board tracker.
Im looking for a cool stem, I'd like something with a different looking clamp. I saw one with a 4 bolt clamp that I quite like, might go with that. it's only 3" though, so i dunno if it'll give me enough height?
how much of the length of the stem has to be in the hole?

Attachments

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Tank is here

Tank arrived today. Took only 7 days from California to New Zealand, & shipping via USPS was very reasonably priced too, imo.
This tank is very well made & the workmanship is to a high standard. Well done Pat.
Just need a frame to put it in now :)

Attachments

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
yeah that one of the great things I found when buying from Pat. The shipping is amazingly fast. When I ordered a frame it arrived in no time at all. When it arrived I thought it was something else because of the speed

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
It's because he's near the West Coast. I import bobber parts from various suppliers all over the US. The closer to the West Coast they are, the quicker they get here. The stuff from out East can take up to an extra week sometimes.
So Pat has an advantage there when supplying to those of us in Australia & New Zealand.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
So I think I've decided on a colour scheme. I really like this 1908 Reading with the gold on black. So Im thinking a black tank & frame, with gold decals & pinstriping. Im thinking that I will go with chrome rims rather than black, & as per my original plan the grips, pedals, & tyres will be white.
I know the chrome rims are not in keeping but I dont really like black rims against white tyres.

Attachments

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hey Brett,
That Reading Standard is one of my personal favorite original boardies. I am sure you have noticed the similarities between that gas tank and my design. A little history on that Reading Standard. The Wright brothers original bicycle shop was moved from Dayton to Greenfield Village in Ohio. That bike was placed in storage in the bicycle shop still in original condition and sat there for years. It was rediscovered and restored. Or so the story goes........

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Before I say anything else, yes, I am obsessive compulsive about this colour scheme thing.

I know you guys normally do your paint in traditional colours.
I love metallic.
Would it be the end of the known world if I was to paint this bike a metallic colour?

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
No, not the end of the known world, but it would end the suspension of disbelief that it is old. That being said, it's yours and make yourself happy. Paint it plaid if you want :)

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I just found this 1920 Indian in Pat's blog archives. It has gold decals & pinstriping & decals on red & looks great. I think I know where Im heading now, after obsessing about colours for weeks.
And I like the effect that these other bikes have, with the red against the chrome rims & white tyres.

Attachments

Last edited:

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Well I tried red but in the end went with satin black. The frame is also satin black & I will do the toolbox in satin black with the same gold pinstripe. I think the satin black will let it look somewhat 'old'; hopefully i can find some MTB rims in a flat black to go with it.
I wanted something that kind of alluded to the old Indians but without the actual 'Indian' lettering, so I used the Chief styled decal.

Attachments

Last edited: