Someone please educate me on forum etiquette

GoldenMotor.com

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
My main question is about grave-digging/grave-robbing or necromancy. I know that if you post in an old thread you get a dunce-cap & made fun-of, but please forgive my ignorance, I'm curious as to why it's bad to add info to an old topic or post a question about the topic. Anyone have any input?

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
For questions it's usually better to start a new topic and include a link back to the original topic. Generally threadcromancy is tolerated if not praised so long as you have some absolutely riveting new information to add to the original topic.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Intrepid Wheelwoman just about has it - it may a problem only if the new post is a question of the original poster, whom has most likely moved on to other things long ago. It isn't "thread necromancy" for any other reason and even then, the member just didn't notice the post dates, which is hardly the gravest of sins.

As staff we do not discourage digging up old threads here, in fact we encourage it as there's so many that contain valuable information or just subjects already covered over and over again.

Those that offer a "dunce cap" to or "make fun" of those that find threads of interest don't realize this isn't just some social forum, it's also a massive database containing just about anything that could even be thought of regarding motorized bicycles - to ignore that or to not share it because of some misunderstood & inappropriate forum protocol is idiocy.

This isn't some lolpic forum who's members suffer a two second attention span, we're builders and these are engineering projects riddled with tips & tricks worth the read no matter when written - if anyone ridicules someone for bringing up "old" topics here, they'll get a message from staff ;)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
What may be old to some is new to others. If it merits more attention raising it up will generate responses and if it is old news of no interest it will fade away again. No harm in that, is there?
SB

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bumping old threads to add new or additional information can be a real benefit to new members who probably missed the original discussion. Go for it.

But since we're on the subject:

What is considered poor etiquette and is frowned on by staff as well as most members is posting the same question in several areas of the forum. Multiple and duplicate posts will generally be removed and staff will send a private message to the member responsible.

Ask once in the appropriate area, or sub-forum, and wait for replies. It is usually a newer member who does this with the assumption that if they multi-post a question it will get better exposure. To some degree that might be true but it is still considered rude.

Tom

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
and you cant say "****," "****," or "*******" either... :)
Oh really? Why not? Just kidding. I've been on several automotive message boards over the years, and "cockpit" was always a tricky one often spelled with a zero to make it read. I guess they've had problems with people talking about their roosters.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Oh really? Why not? Just kidding. I've been on several automotive message boards over the years, and "cockpit" was always a tricky one often spelled with a zero to make it read. I guess they've had problems with people talking about their roosters.
I like the "adult" forum rules at this eBike forum
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=152

I also like the nice layout with no adds that have nothing to do
with ebikes or motorized bikes.

I think the members contribute to the costs of running it.

Posting Messages Dos and Don'ts

DO use the search button before posting; your question may have been answered

DON'T post nudity or graphic images, link to them using a NSFW warning (Not Safe For Work). No nudity is allowed on the site whatsoever.

DON'T post personal attacks based on sexual preference, religion, nationality, race, etc

DON'T post abusive, inflammatory, or threatening messages

DON'T post messages for the sole purpose of attacking a person or company or just to start an argument

DON'T use excessive profanity

DON'T use obscene or abusive language or images in avatars, usernames, or signatures

DON'T use insult or ridicule other members in your avatar or signature, this includes using another member's picture as your avatar

DON'T post the same message in multiple forums

DON'T post SPAM about your website, business, eBay ads, or Endless Sphere classified ads

DON'T post someone else’s full address or phone number without their permission

DON'T double post two messages in a row; edit your original message

DON'T post complaints about a forum or moderator; contact site administrators privately.
As a general policy, we discuss moderation-related topics only via private contact

Forum Etiquette Dos and Don'ts

DON'T use excessive punctuation, smilies, annoying or unreadable text colors, or bold text

DON'T post in ALL CAPS, this means you are yelling

DO think before you type; remember you are dealing with real people and you are not anonymous

DO lurk before you post. Read the rules and some existing threads. Locate the search button

DO respect other people's time and bandwidth, you are not the center of cyberspace

DO use the private message button or email for personal discussions

DON'T abuse the quote button; include only as much as is necessary for context. This includes pictures

DO limit the size of your signature or you will lose that privilege

DO help ensure a useful post or thread

DO stay on topic

DO use a clear subject line; subjects like "LOL" or "Look at This!" are unacceptable

DO provide enough details or pictures in your question so that people can help you

DO post in the correct forum

DO help others. A forum is a community which works best when people share information

DO welcome newcomers to this community and correct mistakes in a courteous manner

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just curious.
How do those rules differ from ours? Not much, if any, that I can see.
There is a difference in that we don't make some of those issues 'rules'. Most of our members have enough common sense to know right from wrong so we don't see the need to make them part of our very casual rule list.

What I did find interesting is that they forbid some things that we allow; like oversized and colored font in the signature line that are nothing more than promotional advertising
and pushing a member's agenda.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
A good rule of thumb is to not type anything you would not say to the person's face.
The mods can be the forum equivalent of a good punch in the nose if you get out of line...
Pretend you're talking to a little old lady and be polite, even when you disagree with someone.
It's not rocket science since I can do it.
:)

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
I usually go over the rules of a forum when I have questions like about the signature size limits or whatnot, but a quick browse, and all the forum's rules usually look reasonably familiar and the bottom-line always being that if you can't be helpful be nice, and if you can't be nice, don't post. All this should be common sense and part of everyday life. I make it a habit to not say anything online that I wouldn't say in-person as a loose guide-line.

EDIT: Maniac beat me to it. Well said. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
One of the things I appreciate about this forum is that the moderators and our administrator remain pretty much in the shadows when they are in "official mode". Generally there is a pretty light touch here when things are being put in order.

From the time I first joined this forum I noticed the atmosphere of generous help, respect extended from one forum member to another and a readiness to compliment each other. It makes it a good place to be. Please, don't give us a bunch of rules of Dos and Don'ts as if we are children. .

I have long believed that the Golden Rule is the best one there is... to treat others as we wish to be treated. It works on all levels, from governments to individuals to places like this forum. Keep it simple.
SB

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
One other "rule" I think is good from another forum is post only what you have done.

Not what you have heard or what you have read, just what you have done. Yourself. In person. With your own 2 hands.

First hand info is the only info I value, everything else is crap.

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
I say that's a wee bit strong.
I agree.

Such "Word of mouth" info. can be very valuable if used wisely and/or with caution. Imo, this world would be far different if everyone only listened to "first hand experiences". However, requesting or accepting certain advice only from those who are personally experienced in that area can be a very quick and effective way to solve an issue (the problem is that you may not get any responses).

Besides, anyone can say that they've done "so-and-so" when, in fact, they haven't.

Anyway, one of many things that I like about this forum is the civility and lack of trollish personal attacks. Sadly, I've abandoned more than a few forums because of this. And, in another case, where several long time members did everything they could to convince a new rider/builder that the alloy front forks he "hacked up" would be completely safe to ride on (the dropouts had been very badly "modified" with a large and coarse mill B file and had numerous and very deep stress riser gouges).

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
something i've said before, is DON'T rely on one single person's advice when asking a question. meaning, just because a person is an "elite" member, doesn't mean they have all the answers. member status is based on post count, not brains.

i've read plenty of bad advice from members (and i've probably given some, too.)

many problems arise with the china kits, and many people have questionable methods when it comes to solving them.

look into a persons history before you take their advice. there are plenty of experienced builders here who have seen just about everything, as well as people who've built one bike and think they're a rocket scientist. most minor problems can be fixed without buying new parts or taking engines apart.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
In my experience, unless a poster is obviously hostile and offensive, Moderators will send a warning.

IMO, we should all conduct ourselves as guests in someone else's home and bide by any rules they have.

It never is beneficial to argue with a Moderator.

Best
rc