Snork

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
For my 61st, I'm going to have an hour's flying lesson, I've always wanted to try it.

In my racing, I only ever had a bike under me capable of winning at one meeting. I got 2 wins in dense drizzle, and it was so ridiculously easy since the bike was so über prepared that it wasn't even work. Most of the time I was mid field, riding what I could afford to run as hard as I knew how. Occasionally Mother Tarmac would embrace me.

I know the flying will be different, I just hope it's not addictive, I can't afford it on this money.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
With my knees and back, both paragliding and paramotoring are out. Microlites, I don't know, I suspect the UK running costs might be too much. It's a shame, I know people near to open spaces to land in, and provided the weather was reasonably stable, quicker to get to. Plane, guitar, amp, it sound like a good idea.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This seems like a good thread for this. I'm not sure why it struck me funny. Maybe some of you will see the humor.

My wife and I were eating dinner at Red Lobster tonight. There was a family at a table near us and they informed their server that the young lady with them was from Puerto Rico. The waiter, a twenty something young man, obviously wanting to seem interested in his customers asked the girl if Puerto Rico was near the ocean. She looked up at him with a smile and said, "It's an island."

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I've often though that the young people now days are a lot smarter...? Maybe I need to think a little harder!

Geograpy 101!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Tom I've often though that the young people now days are a lot smarter...? Maybe I need to think a little harder!

Geograpy 101!

The problem, as I see it, is that the waiter couldn't operate his 'smartphone' while he was taking the order.............

A 'smartphone' is just an enabler for many of the stupid people. :D

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
The problem, as I see it, is that the waiter couldn't operate his 'smartphone' while he was taking the order.............

A 'smartphone' is just an enabler for many of the stupid people. :D
It can be a fantastically powerful tool, or it can be an "enabler", depending on what you do with it. I've been know to use mine in the morning to check the weather. If it looks really bad, I'll look up my job's web site to see if they're delayed or closed. If not, I check for the cheapest price on gas near me. After gassing up I check the traffic report before I pull out.
If I weren't going to work, I've got a GPS to guide me wherever. I've got my MP3s or Web-based TV to watch when I take the bus. I can whip stuff up on the bus ride, then at home I can send it to a bluetooth printer. I can find where I parked my car. This would only get longer. I paid a decent amount for this little bugger, and I'll be D@MM*ND if I just use it to take selfies and send cat pictures to people I barely know.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
3 days ago I was talking with a customer, a lady about 20 to 30 years old, about all the products that were out of stock.
She commented that alot of the stores that she frequents were out of stock on most of the things she regularly buys.
I told her that I noticed a correlation between the outages and the big freeze and nasty winter weather that most of our nation has been experiencing.
She replied "Big freeze? What nasty weather has our nation been in?"
I told her to look it up in the 'net or utube and I walked away.

I sometimes worry, ever so slightly, about just how disconnected from the rest of the world alot of the newer generations seem to be.
I thought these high tech, wonderful smart phones were supposed to open up a great wealth of knowledge and connectiveness for us to be enlightened by.
Massive power at our fingertips, now used for just what exactly? I don't know... (Maby I just don't want to know)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It's true Gearnut, smartphones are the Swiss Army knife of technology. Most are like mini laptops with attached cameras, and they can put the entire repository of the Earth's knowledge at the tips of your fingers.
When I see one being regularly, consistantly, *invariably even*, used for duck-face selfies and tweets about what nasty bar-food somebody ate last night, and where they're puking today, I imagine the little phone weeping inside about its horrible fate. It could have been an Apple Notebook or a life-support monitoring system on the International Space Station. But, no, it powered up as a young adult's "smart" phone. Oh, the humanity!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Marvin was a product of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, which marketed devices with a personality. Smug, humming doors, always pleased to be open for you, drinks machines that served something almost entirely, but not totally, quite unlike tea, because it had decided what was best for you when you asked for tea.

The motto of SCC was Share And Enjoy; unfortunately after a planetquake their offices sank down to half their original height, and thus read, in the local language, Go Stick Your Head In A Pig.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ah! The Hitchhiker's guide! The absolute best 5 book trilogy ever written! (The movie made me really sad)

Some of the silliest one liners, make incredible sense if you look past the satire.

My all time favorite is "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy states: "There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. Its knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties."

“For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”

“Don't Panic.”

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”

“Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.”

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”

“He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

“If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.”

“Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.”

Happy Towlday! 42

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
That Hitchhiker's movie is one of only a few that I walked out of before it ended (and I believe that I was the last in the theatre) .......absolutely atrocious.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I'm glad I'm not the only one... I'll avoid quoting Vogon Poetry (yes, I recall it without looking it up).. When I heard they were going to make that movie, I thought "Oh, God no.... They'll ruin it (at best)".

I wasn't wrong..

I have the books, separate paperbacks and unwieldy hardcover.. the radio shows (on tape and on paper).. I even have a HHGTTG t-shirt (DON'T PANIC on the back in large, friendly letters)..

If I had a tablet pc, I'd have the 'cover' for it done to look like the Guide.

It was a sad day when Douglas Adams passed. He wrote other things (the Dirk Gently books, some Monty Python material, scripts for Doctor Who and more. He played guitar well, and used to hang out with David Gilmour (of Pink Floyd) and Gary Brooker (of Procul Harem).

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The film was candy floss, processed for an airhead audience. The Guide went into Lintilla/Allitnil, vending machines, not mentioning the things at the end of the legs, and how humanity is descended from the Golgafrinchams.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
This is a great sign!!
Ever since I first heard of it, I have wanted a different kind of "auto" correct: one where you press a little button on the dash and the car resets its own timing, regaps the plugs, torques any loose nuts, re-alligns the front end, takes the slack out of the belt, etc.