Snork

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Hi Dan,

Well, if it's really rockin, we'll wait...

Otherwise, you can fix it, ez enough.

Way back when I worked as a millwright specs on the engines we worked on in the oil patch required us to grout in the base of the engine. ..pump in cement as it was installed.
That can be done in retro fashion with your shed.
Jack it up a little with car jacks get some more blocks and cement in there, and then if necessary, use redwood shims of suitable thickness to resolve the fine details. Any serious machinery should have its own pad...
Best
rc

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
hmm, that's a thought, Rusty. Is not that bad but really does annoy me. (the tilt)

A few shingles would actually do it and have a bottle jack some where.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Ate the cheesy poofs!

Dan, it really doesn't take much.
but put a good pad down for the jack to bear on, 2x12 or a couple 2ft long 2x6, and use at least 2 jacks, and more is better.
Make yourself a water level to get it right...

EZ peasy! don't even need to do it all at once, but do it uniform as you take it up.
..look at it this way, entire homes are built on piers, and stilts, all over the world. and some BIG ones, too!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan,
Just always remember to have at least two beers before going in the shop. That way you won't notice the slight slant in the floor. Or if you do you can just blame it on the booze. Lots easier and more enjoyable that jacks and shims, and more enjoyable.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
When I was young and drove the clunkers that I could afford, I'd go to my Dad and explain an unknown noise. Even though my Dad was a very well trained dealership mechanic, his first question was always, "How loud is your radio?" The second question was, "Can you turn it up?"

I think that was his way of saying, "Don't sweat the small stuff....." :D

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
When I was young and drove the clunkers that I could afford, I'd go to my Dad and explain an unknown noise. Even though my Dad was a very well trained dealership mechanic, his first question was always, "How loud is your radio?" The second question was, "Can you turn it up?"

I think that was his way of saying, "Don't sweat the small stuff....." :D
When I was young and still living with the parents, for short trips I used to borrow my mom's Dodge van because it only had a 318 V-8 and used less gas than my old Camaro. [There will be a brief pause until the pointing and laughing subsides.] But, one time, for almost a week I kept hearing a strange squeaking or chirping noise coming from up front. So I just turned on the radio and forgot about it.
One day I came home in the Camaro to find my dad digging around in the right front fender well of said van. He looked up and asked me if I knew how long there'd been a bird's nest inside the fender? He read my blank stare like a Dick-and-Jane book, and added "Or were you just turning up the radio?"

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When I was young and mowing grass for hot rod money I had a customer who got a new Cadillac from her husband. I was at the house mowing one day when she told me there had been a terrible noise come from the engine that morning when she started the car but she turned up the radio and ignored it but asked me if I'd take a look to see if there was anything to be concerned about.

I opened the hood and found the shredded remains of a cat that had apparently been in the fan shroud. She came to look and said it was her neighbor's cat. She was pretty upset because she didn't know how to tell the neighbor that their cat wasn't come home that night.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan,
Just always remember to have at least two beers before going in the shop. That way you won't notice the slight slant in the floor. Or if you do you can just blame it on the booze. Lots easier and more enjoyable that jacks and shims, and more enjoyable.

Tom
Was out painting the shop and Carol brought lunch out. (How lucky am I!?)

Me; "Tom was sayin' to just have a coupla beers before going in the shop and the pesky little tilt won't matter so much"

Carol; (after an actual Sandra Bullock snork/laugh) "Yeah, that will probably work. It's what caused it to begin with"

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
When I was young and mowing grass for hot rod money I had a customer who got a new Cadillac from her husband. I was at the house mowing one day when she told me there had been a terrible noise come from the engine that morning when she started the car but she turned up the radio and ignored it but asked me if I'd take a look to see if there was anything to be concerned about.

I opened the hood and found the shredded remains of a cat that had apparently been in the fan shroud. She came to look and said it was her neighbor's cat. She was pretty upset because she didn't know how to tell the neighbor that their cat wasn't come home that night.

Tom
Holy crow! I'm gonna need brain bleach to get that mental image out of my head. Well, that certainly would have made a terrible noise. And a terrible mess. I suppose suppose she could have bought the neighbor a kitten with the same markings and explained that the cat had gotten into her laundry and shrank in the wash. Think that'd fly?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Heck, it looks GREAT to me!
Here, everything is rusty.
rc

daffynishun: rust is a protective coating that prevents metal from becoming pitted and unserviceable.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA