Sidecars?

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think the best way is to make a smll model that you can try and see for yourself. I do know that there might be some wheel scrub when turning if its not lined up right,but not enough to realy make that much difference. Kind of like draw some arcks or circles and see. On could check the new modern sidecars and see how they are mounted and go frome there. Just my thoughts............Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm guessing that the wheel forward is the more preferred setup, but I don't think it much matters for us since we won't be traveling at the kind of speeds attained by a motorcycle.The one on my American Flyer is ahead of the back wheel, but not midway between the bicycle wheels. I could measure it and also post a picture if it would help any.
SB

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
If the side car wheel is across from the rear wheel you have a Trike! The side car wheel on my WWII tribute sits forward of the rear wheel by 1/3 of the distance between rear wheel and front wheel. That build can run down the road @ 60+ mph.
Rick

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If the side car wheel is across from the rear wheel you have a Trike! The side car wheel on my WWII tribute sits forward of the rear wheel by 1/3 of the distance between rear wheel and front wheel. That build can run down the road @ 60+ mph.
Rick
Rick,
Yes, that's the same positioning as mine. Fasteddy determined how far forward it should go and I liked the way it looked.

Racie35,
I'll look back to see photos of when the sidecar was being made when I get a chance.

SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The sidecar wheel in front of the rear wheel is called lead. That way when there is a dragging force on the side car wheel it is shared by both the front and rear wheel on the bike through the frame and makes handling easier. That is my understanding of it all at least.

With the wheel in back as you are pulling the sidecar along especially with a passenger all the force is on the back of the bike. Even with a stabilizer bar to the front of the bike the sidecar is trying to pull the front of the bike off center and towards it's self where being in a more center position it rides along with less resistance.

If you Google sidecar geometry you'll find a couple of cups of coffee's worth of reading.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I happened to be at our local small museum in Ely, Mn. today. Have not been inside for many years. I got to the last room and a display was in the process of being set up... and what did I see before me but a soap box derby racer made and raced in 1948. It looked much like the one in the plans you have so I got a little excited about it and wished I had my camera. It would make a dandy sidecar!

Sometime soon when I go to town again (25 miles round trip) I'll take my camera along and shoot a couple of pictures so I can post them here for you
SB.

nosferatu

Aug 9, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I'll be interested to see how this comes out. I have frames for the same sidecar that I cut out about 3 years ago but that is as far as it went. I started the tri car instead.

What kind of material are you going to skin the body with? Looking forward to seeing your build come together.

Steve.
1/4 inch ash. Spray it like I would a boat, gel coat then ghost some real flame into it and clear and wax coat.

I had planned on trueflame for the tank but I may just keep my football and put it on the sidecar

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
That is a cool little car, I'm going to try to remember to scan those plans at work and post them. I saw this car a couple weeks ago another for an Indian

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Here are the soapbox plans from 1941, there isn't any copyright, as far as I can tell I have the only set of plans...including the Hi Sibley site. I also won some other plans from the 40s for pusher set ups and motor wheels which I will also put up in the correct sub forums.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
What a great bunch of sidecar ideas. A bonanza one might say. There does always seems to be a certain feel about the early sidecars that the new sidecars have never captured unless they are built to look like that era. Fiberglass never looks as good as metal to my way of thinking. Rusty metal is king of all. :)

The soap box derby cars would be perfect as well, That would give you a double impact with the public. Not only do you have a neat motor bike but a neat motor bike with a sidecar that is a soap box derby car. Yikes! You couldn't stop at a stop light without being peppered with questions and every gas station would be an hour fill up and question session.

Now I was just out in the workshop looking over the plywood situation and I was thinking............

Steve.