Sidecars?

GoldenMotor.com

walt

Apr 21, 2009
Austin, tx.
Thanks. I am fortunate to live in a quiet neighborhood with wide streets that allow us to travel slowly and safely. The neighbor kids all look and wave when we drive by. Here are a few more pictures of the sidecar build and one of my bike.

Attachments

DaveM

Aug 22, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
Hi Walt,

Thank you for the pictures, I may in the future use some or all of your design for a sidecar body. I love the picture of the little fellow helping out with the tape measure, it's gold!

I love your bike as well, it is everything a china girl build should be simple, effective, classy, what more can I say. For me a cruiser frame with a china girl is simplicity at it's best.

My first build was a mountain bike frame, front shocks, shift kit, expansion chamber etc, after I built my cruiser framed bike I realized the cruiser was everything a Motorized Bike should be, so I dismantled my Mountain bike because I was no longer using it I preferred the cruiser even though the cruiser was slower.

Cheers,
DaveM.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Walt,
You have made something precious. No, I'm not talking about the sidecar which I like very much, nor the build which is well done and good looking. What is precious are the memories you have given this young man who will carry them close to his heart to the day he is as old as you and a grandpa himself. He will remember the wonderful feelings he had riding in his sidecar, waving to smiling people and looking up to his grandpa next to him. How good is that?
SB

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
I had people go buy stop and flag me to a stop to look at it. When we stoped at a country store for a pop, we were there for over a half hour just talking to people wanting to know all about it. What a rush.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oh, that's a good one! I like how easily it is for your passenger to climb aboard and disembark. Even an elder could manage that and feel quite safe. What kind of engine and horsepower are you working with? Are you satisfied with your setup or do you see changes need to be made?
SB

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
Oh, that's a good one! I like how easily it is for your passenger to climb aboard and disembark. Even an elder could manage that and feel quite safe. What kind of engine and horsepower are you working with? Are you satisfied with your setup or do you see changes need to be made?
SB
You are right there was no way my wife was going to get in and out of a normal sidecar. I can also lift the tail gate, raise the front curtain and load my RC helicopters or a cooler or what ever in it and go.
The engine is a HF79cc stock except for the intake and exhaust. It tops out at just short of 35mph with that little engine really wound up. I normally ride around 25mph. It exceeds my expectations in every way.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You are right there was no way my wife was going to get in and out of a normal sidecar. I can also lift the tail gate, raise the front curtain and load my RC helicopters or a cooler or what ever in it and go.
The engine is a HF79cc stock except for the intake and exhaust. It tops out at just short of 35mph with that little engine really wound up. I normally ride around 25mph. It exceeds my expectations in every way.
Excellent! I'm running the 99cc Harbor Freight on my bike with canoe sidecar and find it is adequate. Long, steep hills would be a problem, especially with an adult passenger. 25mph with a sidecar is plenty fast enough for me.
You've made a very practical, multi purpose rig, sir. Well done!
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Jimmy,
I was just looking again at your sidecar design and your bike build. What is the bike? How did you make your gas tank?
May I suggest you do a thread devoted to your build. I know that others will find it of interest and I for one would enjoy seeing more photos and commentary. Your bike has a nice retro look about it. I can see that a lot of thought and care went into it. Thanks for sharing.
SB

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I won't interupt the back and forth between the great minds other than to say what a nice build you have there Jimmy. Like SB, I would like to know more about your bike.

Dan

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'd like to see how you built it as well. Always something interesting about how someone overcame a problem or took a simpler approach to building than you would have.

Then there's the why didn't I think of that factor. :)

Steve.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
Thanks guys.
SB, The bike started out as a ladies cranbrook. I only used the back triangle, The rest of the frame I made. My wife bought me a bender for Xmas. The tank is made from 4 inch tail pipe I got at the local muffler shop.
Steve, Dan I don't have very many pictures of building it. I will see what I can find. If I can find enough will do a thread on it.
Here is a couple pictures before I put the paint on.

Attachments

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
So, I'm in the planning/creative staring phase and I've got the frame and attachment figured out. It seems that I will be going with this style sidecar, any suggestions from those who work with wood as to material thickness for the body, I'd rather not have to glass over it.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So, I'm in the planning/creative staring phase and I've got the frame and attachment figured out. It seems that I will be going with this style sidecar, any suggestions from those who work with wood as to material thickness for the body, I'd rather not have to glass over it.
Shoot a PM to fasteddy. He built a wooden sidecar and worked for many years restoring antiques and making duplicates from scratch.
SB