Show us your Pipe!

GoldenMotor.com

toojung2die

Feb 10, 2011
Troy NC
The look, style, function and sound of the exhaust pipe on a motorized vehicle is very much a matter of personal preference. The mufflers that come with HT engines work OK but leave much to be desired.

I've seen many bikes where the exhaust pipe is an expression of the builders personal style. What matters to you? Form or function? What have you done to customize your exhaust pipe? Lets see what you've come up with to personalize your motorized bicycle.

Here is a pipe I made from EMT conduit and an eBay exhaust.

Show us your pipe! How did you do it?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I like EMT. It bends well, you can TIG weld it and it polishes up nice with a little effort on a bench buffer and some compound. I've built several custom exhaust pipes with it and haven't found a better alternative.
Yours is very nice. Neat, clean and functional. Thanks for sharing.
I'd like to see a close-up of how you joined the conduit to the flange at the cylinder.
Tom

toojung2die

Feb 10, 2011
Troy NC
I like EMT. It bends well, you can TIG weld it and it polishes up nice with a little effort on a bench buffer and some compound. I've built several custom exhaust pipes with it and haven't found a better alternative.
Yours is very nice. Neat, clean and functional. Thanks for sharing.
I'd like to see a close-up of how you joined the conduit to the flange at the cylinder.
Tom
Thanks for the props. Some 000 steel wool and elbow grease makes EMT shine. Here's the flange to conduit weld. I have a hobby size (70amp) stick welder. My welds are not pretty but that's what a die grinder is for. The eBay exhaust I bought is junk. It's the one with a big compression nut to hold the muffler to the pipe. The welds on the compression fitting broke while riding last night. So much for a removable muffler. I gutted the baffles, what a joke they are. I'm going to make a new glass pack insert and weld the muffler to the pipe. Is there any appreciable difference between fiberglass insulation for packing and real muffler glass pack?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Copper to copper is all I know how to weld. The silicone rubber hose from SBP works well to join to steel.

Last edited:

FPSaustralia

Dec 7, 2011
sunshine coast
Biknut .... HEy nice bike BUuuuuuuTT ... do u want to to proplu use your expantion chambour .... ???? u have 2 have it Comming off the Engine for it to worke and Givve the right wave resanations .. any wayz NICE

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've used XP, (explosion proof) electrical fittings for exhaust. The male part of the fitting is welded to a custom made flange and the female section goes on the 3/4" EMT pipe. This allows for easy removal of the exhaust system without disturbing the flange gasket.

EMT also lends itself to custom pipes that need weird bends to clear pedals and frame members.
Tom

Attachments

toojung2die

Feb 10, 2011
Troy NC
I like the exhaust on your blue and white bike. It enhances the whole look. I don't see any support back by the muffler though there must be something holding it on. Thanks for the tip on EP fittings. I wish I had known before welding my glass packed muffler to the pipe. I modified the muffler so it can be taken apart and the packing replaced. An EP fitting at the muffler would make removal for maintenance a snap. I'll be making another pipe after I get some ideas from seeing other custom exhausts.

I have an EMT bender but it limits the design of the pipe to one bend radius. I acquired a pipe hickey that can make smaller radius bends but I've been warned it is likely to kink. Three quarter conduit fits outside most stock pipes. I read that half inch conduit can fit inside stock pipe. Half inch may be better for more radical shapes.

toojung2die

Feb 10, 2011
Troy NC
Here's a thread on the exhaust I made.
There is a noticeable increase in torque with the longer pipe. Better acceleration and hill climbing ability is more important than top end. I like to keep it 20-25mph. Now I can climb the steepest hill around here without dropping below 20mph with a 44 tooth sprocket. All I hear now is the intake roar and gears whine. I have to turn my head to hear the muffler.

OK GearNut, I give up. What muffler is that?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I too have noticed an increase in torque and pulling power with the longer pipes.
The blue bike's exhaust pipe is anchored at the kickstand mount with a bracket that is welded to the pipe and uses the kickstand bolt to secure it to the frame.

It's been my experience that 3/4" EMT is almost the same outside diamater as the stock kit pipe and requires some swedging to get it to fit over for a good weld. I made a tool from an old pair of battery terminal spreaders to flare out the EMT so it slides onto the stock pipe then I TIG weld the parts together. I set my TIg at about 20amp and use a 1/16" tungston for the thin wall tubing. Works good.
Tom

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Untitled Album | Facebook

heres my exhaust, 1/2 inch EMT shoved into a cut catalytic muffler. havent welded it yet, too cold and i dont feel like cleaning the pipes. Its sealed with 2 sections of silicone heater hose. Works pretty good, keeps noise down, and i no longer get covered in oil spray and exhaust fumes.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I've been running this one I built the summer before last.

I made the steel flange from flat bar stock and made a much larger diameter opening that matched the size of the exhaust port in the jug.

It's brazed to a pocket bike pipe I got off of E-Bay for $10.

Unlike pipes with skinny header pipes this thing doesn't fall flat on it's butt at high rpm's.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good looking pipe, Tim. Do I see a 1 & 1/8" LR 90 and maybe some SilFoss? Who else but a fitter would build a pipe like that? :)

Tom