Schwinn Panther build

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I went with Deestone 2.5 in rear and 2.25 in the front. Here are some pics of the cam where I had to grind for clearing the rod and the crank counterweight where it had to be ground as well. Got the rear stand and fender mocked in, everything going to welder next week.

TheOtherChris

Apr 1, 2012
SE Idaho
Tire size sounds good.
After grinding the crank how are you planning to re-balance?
It will be interesting to see if the narrow lobe on the cam will have any affect on the lifter surface too.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thanks the tires are rated DOT rated for 87 mph not that I'll go that fast but they are super heavy duty!! Fitted the Dymo powered headlight into a bullet type headlight that was originally D cell powered. Fit took minimum work besides drilling out some rivets and replacing them with bolts, the battery holder pretty much fit the headlight as a cradle. I got the multi-mount with the headlight that also worked well with the donor, and mounted to the springer.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I have an old Solar/Badger Brass Co. crarbide lamp that will never be able to be restored and I want to do something like you have done ,can you be a little more specific as to exactly what you used other than just the name of the light like what is the length,circumfrance/width cost and where did you buy it from ???, it looks like its what I want & need
I was decieved by bad photos and misled by discription of the lamp but purchased it for $45.oo total, sometimes you don't get what you pay for.
My lamp is cracked every where so I want to get it powdered coated the new chrome and just install a battery operated light in the furnace and install a lense if possible.
Here are some pic's of the lamp,based on your experience with your's do you think it's do-able? last pic is not my lamp but exactly the same showing the furnace area where I'd like to put the light.

Attachments

Last edited:

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Thanks the tires are rated DOT rated for 87 mph not that I'll go that fast but they are super heavy duty!! Fitted the Dymo powered headlight into a bullet type headlight that was originally D cell powered. Fit took minimum work besides drilling out some rivets and replacing them with bolts, the battery holder pretty much fit the headlight as a cradle. I got the multi-mount with the headlight that also worked well with the donor, and mounted to the springer.

That's a sweet set-up with the headlight.

Ray

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I have an old Solar/Badger Brass Co. crarbide lamp that will never be able to be restored and I want to do something like you have done ,can you be a little more specific as to exactly what you used other than just the name of the light like what is the length,circumfrance/width cost and where did you buy it from ???, it looks like its what I want & need
I was decieved by bad photos and misled by discription of the lamp but purchased it for $45.oo total, sometimes you don't get what you pay for.
My lamp is cracked every where so I want to get it powdered coated the new chrome and just install a battery operated light in the furnace and install a lense if possible.
Here are some pic's of the lamp,based on your experience with your's do you think it's do-able? last pic is not my lamp but exactly the same showing the furnace area where I'd like to put the light.
The light is a Supernova e3 it runs on the Sturmey Dymo hub, it is 45 mm wid and I think 65 mm long SMALL. It will store power for around 5 minutes so I will have lights at stops and lights. I first read about them in Cobrafreaks 1911 Indian build. I've found the best prices on eBay plus they also have a tail light that goes with it that I'm waiting for the donor housing. I think it is entirely possible plus these lights have some illumination on the sides which would light up those red jewels.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Got a bunch of little things done today, idler/tensioner bracket dry fitted. Lifters turned down, fender cut for chain and lowered a bit, rear light bracket made, front brake arm cut and drilled for stud, still got a bunch of things like that to go. Lifters L-R. 3hp, my turned to .84 and the 5 hp

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Bike is still in progress...taking the back seat for a while, I did get the rear taillight set. It's the same brand to run off the Dymo fitted into a repop taillight housing.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Nothing worthy of pics to update. I decided on a name for the bike, the "Ollie Special" this build has kind of been a tribute of sorts to my Uncle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ollie_Silva who loved to go fast (ok on 4 wheels, but still enjoyed speed) I remember being a little kid and checking out his cars in the barn, so I thought it fitting to dedicate this bike to him.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
My nephew Brownrider came over and we got the mount plate welded, jackshaft welded, and the tensioner tacked.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Got a couple hours yesterday to work on the bike. Looks like primer grey will be the fall riding colors.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Postman dropped the final engine part while on way to work.. a nos rod and dipper, I'm going to hone the casting seams and enlarge the oiler hole tomorrow. I will post before and afters.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Didn't get to the con rod today, but did take care of the intake and exhaust manifolds as well as the ports matched. Also the breather plate for puke can.