Registering Bike in NC

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
So I looked at the law and it said nothing about how to register it or what i need, do you know these facts?
If it's a motor-driven bicycle you don't have to register it. All you have to do is don't go faster than 20 mph on level ground.

If you wish to go faster than 20 mph but stay under 30 mph then you must meet moped requirements. I'm sure there's an inspection procedure done by the DMV. Then they'll determine if you for filled the requirements to register as a moped.

Reactions: Alex Behan

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here's something that'll work perfect for you. Get a 2 stroke kit. It should come standard with a 10t drive sprocket on engine. Get either a 58t or 60t rear sprocket. Last of all use a bike with 26" tires.

This set up will give you great steep hill climbing ability. Yet won't go faster than 20 mph at wide open throttle on level ground. Then you'll truly be a motor-driven bicycle according to NC law. You won't have to register or insure it, like you would have to do with a moped.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
A 44t rear sprocket comes standard with the China girl kits. So to do the larger 58t or 60t rear sprocket means you'll also have to buy a longer chain and the larger rear sprocket.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here's a couple more suggestions that'll meet the motor-driven bicycle guidelines.

You can use a bike with 24" wheels and run a 54t rear sprocket.

If you know someone who can weld, so they can fit the engine for you. Read up on past threads on motorizing a BMX bike with 20" wheels. Then you could use the standard 44t rear sprocket that comes with the kit.

Alex Behan

Oct 21, 2021
New Bern, NC
Here's a couple more suggestions that'll meet the motor-driven bicycle guidelines.

You can use a bike with 24" wheels and run a 54t rear sprocket.

If you know someone who can weld, so they can fit the engine for you. Read up on past threads on motorizing a BMX bike with 20" wheels. Then you could use the standard 44t rear sprocket that comes with the kit.
Okay, thank you again

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Yeah, I understand but my entire family is in law enforcement so they are making me do it all by the law‍♂. That’s why I’m asking about it and how do I get one of those?
If your whole family is in law enforcement & is making you do this?... Why can't they look in their books & tell you exactly what it needs (to be legal) & where to get it done??

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a little story from 2007 when I first started building these bikes...

A local motorcycle cop pulled me over for not wearing a helmet... I told him it wasn't required & he argued that is was!
I said show me in your little book! He opened his book & it said that '16 years old & under must wear a helmet' .... (nothing about adults)!!

He got back on his bike & rode away!!

Your family should have similar traffic code books that will tell them what you need to do (& don't need to do) to be legal.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
What i'm saying is that sometimes the police themselves don't know what the law really is, (& they just make it up from what might be true in different situations... (This might be what's happening with your family)

Last edited:

Alex Behan

Oct 21, 2021
New Bern, NC
If your whole family is in law enforcement & is making you do this?... Why can't they look in their books & tell you exactly what it needs (to be legal) & where to get it done??
Because its not in there and they dont know if i can go faster than 20mph, which I can’t unless i get a larger engine. And they just want me to focus on getting a car, but my argument is why not let me use this if it’s legal? Ill just start using it

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
What i'm saying is that sometimes the police themselves don't know what the law really is, (& they just make it up from what might be true in different situations... (This might be what's happening with your family)
This is the reason I tell people to either be able to pull up the local legal statutes or at least carry a copy of them with you.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Because its not in there and they dont know if i can go faster than 20mph, which I can’t unless i get a larger engine. And they just want me to focus on getting a car, but my argument is why not let me use this if it’s legal? Ill just start using it
A larger engine isn't what'll make you go faster than 20 mph. The set ups I gave you won't allow you to go over 20 mph at wide open throttle due to the low gear ratio it's driving. Change to a higher gear ratio using the same engine then you'll be going faster than 20 mph.

Alex Behan

Oct 21, 2021
New Bern, NC
A larger engine isn't what'll make you go faster than 20 mph. The set ups I gave you won't allow you to go over 20 mph at wide open throttle due to the low gear ratio it's driving. Change to a higher gear ratio using the same engine then you'll be going faster than 20 mph.
Oh that makes more sense, thanks for the help