October 19th 2013 Socal Motor Bicycle Racing At Grange Motor Circuit!

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Sorry for not responding sooner, I am not able to make this event due to family obligations. Thanks for putting these events on Neil, I know its not easy to get a bunch of renegade motorbikers together on a certain date.

Gilbert

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
Neil, I'm looking for an engine for next season and need some info on the classes before I invest.
honda gx120 4 stroke 3.5hp mid class
honda gc160 4 stroke 4.6hp mid class

honda gx160 4 stroke 4.8hp what class?

also will bikes dyno'd between 8hp and 11hp race in the mid class again?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
also will bikes dyno'd between 8hp and 11hp race in the mid class again?
dunno what you are talking about.
Nashmoto won the Midrange on a GC 160 single speed that was dynoed at 8 HP

KTM 50 cc may be claimed to be 9 hp by some dubious vendors that BS about all their motors. ;)
The KTM's performance on the track proves my point. :)

Neil, I'm looking for an engine for next season and need some info on the classes before I invest.
honda gx120 4 stroke 3.5hp mid class
honda gc160 4 stroke 4.6hp mid class
Those are definitely Midrange class bikes.
All those Honda HP numbers are really low. When you take the governor off and put on a free flowing exhaust, valve springs and a good carb you make a lot more HP
Is Dave finally racing that gx120?

nashmoto's GC 160 has nothing special done to it. Mind you he rides really well.

magrider said:
honda gx160 4 stroke 4.8hp what class?
I have already said this several times, Honda GX160 will be in the 11 hp Class.
Way too easy to make 10 to 12 hp with a GX160 with all the aftermarket parts available.
We aren't doing engine tear downs or want to get into making you dyno a GX 160 to prove how you modded it so that is solved by making a GX160 an 11 hp class motor.

Going to change a few things in 2014.
Please get rid of those shorty cranks on all your bikes.
You are the only one doing that.

New rule specifies a minimum 6"? pedal crank length center to center.

Please also do Not break the rule of functioning pedals again with a bike with no pedal chain sprocket or chain.

If your pedal chain breaks and you can't fix it that is acceptable but to design a bike without functioning pedals will get your bike disqualified and you won't even be allowed to race it without making those changes.

All races from now on will have pre-registration with a $10 discount before the cut off date.
thanks

Are you coming to the Dec 7th race at Willow?

Last edited:

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I want to race in the mid class.

my china bike has 4.5" cranks from day one at death race 2011. is for safety reasons, don't want to high side a corner with long 6" cranks.

GX160 was an option I was thinking about, but I don't want to race the 11hp+ class.

last April Arrows china bike was Dyno'd at 9.5hp raced in the mid class in Oct. get the specs from Ryan, also advertised on their website at 9.5hp

so is the mid class bumping up from 8hp to 11hp?

I'll be working dec.7.

Brother is racing his gx120 next season.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
what about factory cranks under 6"?

i have several pairs of Wald one piece cranks ranging from 3" and up.

my little bike had 4.5" cranks on it. anything longer would scrape the ground.

the 24" speedster i'm building now has 5" schwinn cranks on it. anything longer than that would be dangerous.

i'm not advocating modified mini cranks, but i think any factory made crank should be allowed, as long as they function.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have to concur, a minimum 6" rule seems a bit extreme... Most stock bicycle cranks are well under 6".

I understand that Neil has been put under a lot of pressure from the riders to make clearer rules to keep down the arguing about some issues; but I agree with baird that any stock 'unmodified' factory bicycle crank (that's reasonable for that size bicycle), should resolve this problem. :)

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I have to concur, a minimum 6" rule seems a bit extreme... Most stock bicycle cranks are well under 6".

I understand that Neil has been put under a lot of pressure from the riders to make clearer rules to keep down the arguing about some issues; but I agree with baird that any stock 'unmodified' factory bicycle crank (that's reasonable for that size bicycle), should resolve this problem. :)
Thanks Norm but I am not feeling any pressure?
It really is not a problem and there are only 3 rules
aside from the safety gear and safety standards for bikes.

1) Functioning pedals that can motivate the bike.

2) No motorcycle multi speed shiftable engines allowed.

3) No motorcycle tires allowed. No moped tires has been added recently.
so Bicycle tires only.

that's it.......;)
Just need a little definition to those rules.
There may be exceptions to those rules allowed but they will not be scored or get trophies or prizes.

Then there are a few rules that set what bikes / motors are in the race classes.

There was a ? after the 6" so it is still to be decided.

However there will be a minimum length set for 2014.

I have some 5 1/2" cranks here and I have seen shorter.

There is a certain spirit behind the functioning pedal rule and
the cranks that magrider modified do not fit within that.

Everyone coming to the Dec 7th race is encouraged to attend a meeting there to hash a few things out.

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Neil:

I won't be at the December 7th race, so here is my 2 cents on the crank issue.

A simple tech inspection would have caught the missing chain. How about a quick check that involves pedaling the bike some distance engine off (50 feet?) to prove that it pedals and the brakes are working?

That way someone with a small bike / low crank height can still have a safe bike.

Again, just my two cents.

Brad

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
A tech inspection is a great idea, add the dyno spec sheet for bike classification and now we are talking.

FFV8 the modified short cranks where and still are within the rules. they where and are functional If I wanted I could pedal my bike to your house and back, might take a long time but it can be done.

The chain on the other hand is a different issue, get over it.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I have an opportunity to buy a Lot of cup type trophies at a great price.

There would be enough to award trophies for all 6 or 7 classes down to 3rd place at every race for years.

They come with engraving plates and could also be personalized with a cool custom logo sticker.

We would need people or all the racers to kick in $300 total to buy them.
I would buy them but I am spending all my cash every month on motor kits, parts and accessories.
I would still make special 1st place trophies for the big April and October races like the 2 stroke classes billet black anodized engraved covers and Joker Machine trophies. These cup trophies would be 2nd and 3rd place at those races.

The seller is doing a count on what they have but it sounds like we might have enough trophies for everyone at a race for several races! :D

Last edited: