No Head Gasket Opinions

GoldenMotor.com

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Just curious, as I noticed some people are running no head gasket for a throttle response and performance increase. Wondering what the guys who are doing this think of this modification.

Thanksdnut

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's not a good idea to run it without a head gasket... You will most likely end up with low compression from a leak!
If you really want to raise the compression?, Lap the cylinder & head down with some sandpaper on glass & install a new gasket. (don't go crazy sanding it down!!!)

edangel

Sep 7, 2010
seveirville tn
dose any one knows how to take the magnet off to undo the springs ears on a pull start on a china motor were can i find a spring or can i make one any help will be thank full

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
I shaved down the head in a mill at work by .008" and done a neat job of it to try and bring the comp. up as it was starting to get tired and I didnt have the money at the time to get a rebuild kit and if anything made it run worse than what I started with (slant head jeez it had some warpage had to keep going till I got it flat).
Ended up buying a new jug, pis.,rings,head and it brought back the power it was beginning to lack.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
dose any one knows how to take the magnet off to undo the springs ears on a pull start on a china motor were can i find a spring or can i make one any help will be thank full
Wrong place, wrong time buddy, and quit threadjacking.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Well, I removed my head gasket, but not to improve performance, but to prolong my engine life. My aluminum gasket melted and bits of it went into the cylinder damaging my rings and the liner, the engine still runs but stalls after a few minutes or so. So I got me a new engine and removed the aluminum gasket, but I replaced it with a head gasket maker, the one you can buy in a tube or small brown bottle, so no leaks. Check out this thread:
http://motorbicycling.com/f34/ht-ideal-running-engine-temperature-15197.html

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
These are the thin copper gaskets that I use in my 46cc 2-stroke. The copper base gasket is .005 thin. The round one is the head gasket and seals the 15:1 compression in the combustion chamber. Always use some sort of head gasket unless you're an amazing machinist that can mill a perfect seal.....even then.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Hey if ya get no leaks bud good on ya thanx for sharing.
But yeah peace of mind I'd atleast do what scotto suggested if ur anything like me I'd be paranoid and checkin the damn thing after every ride but yeah each to there own.

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
I ran my old motor about 6500 miles with out a base gasket.It did make a difference,not alot,but some.You just have to make sure the piston doesnt hit the spark plug,and it changes the intake and exhaust timing slightly,but to no ill affect(for me anyway).

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Vw air cooled engines do not have head gaskets since abandoning the copper rings in the '50s. Even turboed, no one needs them. They do use iron cylinders though.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
gaskets are called gaskets for a reason lol. i do not recomend not running one ore using goop to make one.
I rather have goop that can get flushed out through the exhaust, than aluminum bits scraping my liner, damaging it and the piston and the piston rings.

I only put about a 1 mm diameter of the Gasket maker using a toothpick and put it around the surfaces, and that amount is enough to make a great seal. Been using for more than year with no leaks. Ironically, 3 engines that I have burned got head gaskets.

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
those vw's fit like a spiggot at 35psi and their are copper gaskets if you chose to use them. those funny deep sounding bugs are pulling the studs out of the case and that is the exhaust leeking out the alum. head that will be junk soon. years ago my friends funny cars always used copper head gaskets, fire it up 2 min. shout er down re-torque heads done. never no head gasket leaks but lots burned pistons holes in the blocks even running motors missing pistons and rods sometimes winning! cast iron block and head would sometimes need a sledge hamer to seperate them. i like copper gaskets!

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
these are a pin once you get it together there is a notch for the cable/rope after cable breaks then spin it around insert rope and let it unwind and gather rope up