New York laws

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Whats up everyone, brand new here and i was lookin foward to building my 1st motor bike to whip to work and around on short travels when I found that NY is the only intolerant state in the country on the matter... what a bummer!
Ohio is just as bad or worse. You can't legally register a motorized bike, unless you buy a pre-built wildfire bike or a wizza.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Here i could drive drunk while on drugs and run people over and smashed into parkcars, but put a little motor on my bike to go to the store and there pulling me over and making me wait for 2 hours , then give me lots of tickets for a motorcycle i don't have, and i didn't know my license was already suspended for a ticket that the court says wasn't on file until now.

So now i cannot risk having a gas motor on my bike, i already have to go to court, hopefully the tickets won't be too much and some might get dropped. I tryed riding to the store today without a motor on it and barley made it there and back, i guess my legs are bad and getting worse.

For now i will sell my gas engine kit and raising money to turn my bike into electric.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I had a drivers license but didn't know it was suspended until the cops pulled me over and after 2 hours they told me it was.

It was suspended for a ticket i got 3 years ago, i thought it was paid or dropped, cause back then i called the court and they said they had no ticket or case on file,well now they do have it on file.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Those upstate troopers are the pits, when I was younger I had a Z 28 Camaro and I was on the Highway going to a motorcycle race in Middletown. I had a state trooper in my rear view mirror for about 25 miles, and this guy was tailgating me the entire time.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Good luck on Monday. I'm always a little skittish riding here and keep pretty close to home.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
It cost between $1,000-2,000 here for a moped.

My gas engine kit was $185 and my bike was $99.

Why don't you buy me a moped...

For anyone else reading this, if you live in NY move and if you're thinking of moving here don't.

Last edited:

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
"I know it may sound crazy...
Buy an ACTUAL MOPED!"

No it doesn't sound crazy, just shallow, and vapid.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
"I know it may sound crazy...
Buy an ACTUAL MOPED!"

No it doesn't sound crazy, just shallow, and vapid.

That may be. But after court cost and fines, it's going to cost more than $1000.
I'm sure you can find used mopeds cheap even $500.

As a matter of fact, I found 34 different (legal) mopeds on craigslist between the prices of $300 to $400 after only 20min of looking.

IF the problem is a lack of a drivers license, THAT'S a different issue.

The reason (nowadays) most states require a DL for a moped is because of the fact, that most people who lost their licenses for DUI (or whatever reason), took it upon themselves to then drive mopeds, and even then, when states starting requiring a DL for a moped, people THEN tried adding a gas ICE to their bikes.

Trust me, I've lost my license and have had to go electric, so i'm speaking from experience when I tell you, I would LOVE if a gas bike was legal to ride without a DL, however I lost my license for being stupid and I must deal with the consequences of such actions.

What I ultimately did was spend about $2000 on an electric bike (and dual motors, batteries, etc) and am able to go 20mph for 100 miles with a 3 hour recharge time.

That's even CHEAPER then gas, and much "greener" (lessening my carbon footprint on the earth is just an added bonus)

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Here scooters are $1,000.

Gas is not much greener when throwing the batteries away to buy new ones every 6 months, but thats what im going to do, time the earth has a problem none of us will be around and it will not be us little people that destroy it.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Here scooters are $1,000.

Gas is not much greener when throwing the batteries away to buy new ones every 6 months, but thats what im going to do, time the earth has a problem none of us will be around and it will not be us little people that destroy it.
Don't buy Lead Acid batteries... Use the Lithium Ion ones. Lithium is not a heavy metal.
Li Ion Battery's last in excess of 3years.

I already said, i saw 30+ Mopeds in the $300 to $400 range... $1000 is BRAND NEW... If ya dont have $1000, buy Used.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Considering the name of the site is Motorbicycling and not Motorscootering, I wouldn't think people would come here to talk about scooters in the first place.

:)

Last edited: