New York laws

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i didnt say remove the vin tag,i said you could use a moped frame for a bike build and that could be reg legaly.mopeds in ny do need a reg and atleast a car license but not insurance or inspections.

Brandon

May 23, 2009
Washingtonville
I’m a locally elected official in NY. As you may know, NY has changed the laws regarding electric assist bicycles.
I have the ear of some state legislators that sponsored the “Electric Bicycle” initiative, and they are willing to listen to me as I make the case for gas assisted bicycles.
I am requesting this form for samples of other state laws that specifically reference motorized bicycles. Generic moped DMV law will NOT be helpful.

Please email me at: Brandon dot Nielsen at Gmail dot com
Thanks

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
pretty sure electric bikes 200 watt and under are now legal.. it was legislation in the works anyway

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Oh Jeeze...
Your average buz bike IS leagal in nyc...
Obey the trafic laws, dont do anything stupid like jump sidewalks or go the wrong way up a one way street and the police wont bother you. Wear a helmet and golves, Brand new Whizzars are sold her and the dmv Will Not Register them.
its a displacement/speed deal under 50cc/20 mph your fine...
Get the 49ccstickers or miss stanp the engine cases and slow the **** down!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
well i know im not getting pulled over now but i still would like it put in writing for the law on the dmv site.
i would like it to say that its legal for a bicycle with a small helper gas or electric motor with a engine of not more than 49cc and a top speed of 20mph and without shifting.or something like that.

i dont live in nyc i live in way upstate ny at the top near lake champlain.
we have 1 cop car per street up here in my town. i dont like looking over my shoulder all the time. if i lived out in the country or in a big city i wouldnt care if it was legal or not,but i live in a small city.

Last edited:

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
I can't believe you have not resolved any of these legal issues yet Cabinfever, just call this no# and they will tell you all you need to know. 518 474 5282 it's a special DMV no# he will let you know all the manufacturers that are approved by the state.

Bicycleman48

Mar 20, 2009
New York
Hey Brandon I live near Washingtonville and am a motorbike/motorcycle enthusiast, although very new to both.. The Electric Bike Bill is still in the Senate and has been there for a 3rd reading since May 12. I have encourage Mr. Larkin to help expedite its being passed into law. The fact that you know legislators who would be willing to listen to the case for gas assisted bicycles is great !! You may want to check Connecticut's DMV website for their definitions of a bicycle with a motor - I think that they can have up to an 80CC motor and it's still a bicycle. Contact me through this website if you need any assistance; I will also e-mail you at the e-mail address that you provided. And yes, Whizzers can be registered in NYS and ridden legally. Call the Tech dept at DMV and they will tell you what ones are acceptable; if yours is not on the list, have Whizzer or the manufacturer send the specs to DMV and they will get it put on the list. That is how I got my Whizzer Ambassador registered as a Class A Moped - I got Whizzer to send them the specs. Best wishes to all and Brandon I wll be in touch. Bicycleman48

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
not you again fm2200,im not buying a moped or a bike and engine already made for the same price as a moped,i already have a bike and engine i made and will keep riding it.

Bicycleman48

Mar 20, 2009
New York
I have actually have to thank FM2200; he was the one that posted the info about the Tech Dept in Albany, who I was able to call and get some info. I presently have a WHIZZER Ambassador that I registered as a LIMITED USE Class A motorcycle in New York; prior to his posting, I thought that ALL motorbikes were illegal in NYS. From the Tech Dept in Albany, I was informed that as long as the bike was on the list, it could be registered, pedals or not.flg.. I had Whizzer send the info to Albany and was able to register the Ambassador. I am sure that the same could be done for other models of Whizzer or other motor bikes that are commercially made. I agree, it's not like building your own bike, which I still want to do, but for me, it was a start. Connecticut is very motorbicycle friendly, so when I build my bike, I will probably ride over there. But the member from Brooklyn is right - wear a helmet, gloves, obey the traffic laws, don't act like an idiot ... cops will leave you alone. Heck, they're riding electric bikes all over New York City !!! We bikers from New York have to let our state legisltors know that we want these gas assisted bikes listed as 'bicycles.' Best wishes to all - l really like this thread. Bicycleman48.usflg

XITruthIX

Aug 17, 2009
Long Island, NY
Whats up everyone, brand new here and i was lookin foward to building my 1st motor bike to whip to work and around on short travels when I found that NY is the only intolerant state in the country on the matter... what a bummer! Im on long island where we have over zealous police who Id expect to most likely give me a hard time about the thing and I dont want to deal with it. LUCKILY my father has a long running relationship with our congressman Gary Ackerman and as I write this an E-Mail is already being drafted to bring this one to his attn. ALL WHO ARE INTERESTED IN REFORM: here is the link to his webpage where you can find his contact information, he's an outstanding man who's truely dedicated to fighting for the wishes of the people he represents, PLEASE be proactive on this subject and post any updates you've gotten from your letters to your own state officials so we can fight the good fight!!!!

sean882

Oct 15, 2009
Henrietta, NY
I'm from MA, just in NY (Rochester Area) for college. I just decided to build an 80cc bike. If I were to register it in MA, and then come to NY, would I be all set, or would there still be legal issues? My permanent residence is MA.

Sleazy Santa

Apr 11, 2010
QUEENS
someone mentioned getting a bike registered with the police dept. before motorizing it, as a way of getting it closer to legal, in NYC they'll be registering bikes to aid in theft prevention on may 1st by the brooklyn bridge if anyone's interested.
Sat, May 1 1:00 pm
Brooklyn Bridge Park

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I was finally pull over, and ticketed.
Will be removing gas engine kit from bike.
Will be looking for alternatives other than gas.
Will be peddaling for now.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I'm from MA, just in NY (Rochester Area) for college. I just decided to build an 80cc bike. If I were to register it in MA, and then come to NY, would I be all set, or would there still be legal issues? My permanent residence is MA.
You would have to check with the NY DMV and ask them about recipriprocity (sp?) with MA.
My thought would be, if NY says they are illegal to use on their streets, no matter where you may have come from, it's still not legal to use it on NY streets.