Need help! 140 spoke rims and installing the rear sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

Bwest

May 24, 2021
Hey guys, need some help here. Just a got a new bike and I mainly bought it because I loved the rims on the bike. The rims have 140 spokes and I really didn't think about how to install the rear sprocket before I bought it. Anyways, I have a pic of what it looks like below, but my main question is,

What the **** does a man got to do in order to get a rear sprocket on this damn thing?

Any advice or help is appreciated

Thank you!

Attachments

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I've never seen one on a M/B. But maybe it's been done
Have ya checked to see if a rag joint lines up with the spokes?
Kinda hard to figure without the wheel right in front of me.

Looks like you just might have to Fabricate a custom Rag joint and maybe change the sprocket mounting holes to make it work. Or give up your dream of a 120 spoke wheel

But maybe a member on this forum has done this with a 120 spoke wheel before and will chime in with information of how it's done

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've seen it done!
A stock 9-bolt sprocket can be installed on those wheels... (but it's not easy).
You're gonna have to spread the spokes apart to get the bolts through; but the hardest part is getting the inside rag joint in there & getting the hardware all threaded on!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
As far as I know not posable, unless you bend and distort the spokes, rag joint are meant for 36 spoke wheels. Like wrench said unless you can figure out how to put really small bolts and make your own............Curt

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I just got it. Ty
Unfortunately I can't pay $200
Would this work?

Sure that will work, But... there's a reason the Sick Bike Parts kit cost a little more.
It's Made in USA and it uses a White Industries Free Wheel. It's worth the extra $$
It can take a licking and keep on clicking

Reactions: Forbidden Tuna