My first race bike build 212cc predator!

GoldenMotor.com

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
ok my bike is ready for the upcoming race. i made a few changes:

1. got the correct pilot and main jet installed. bike runs much smoother and faster now!

2. relocated my rear brakes. they use to be on the jackshaft. i hated how touchy they were, so i moved them to the rear wheel. they feel much better and i'm not affraid to press them.

3. also got a 48 tooth rear sprocket for street driving. guess what my top speed is now. 60MPH!!!! takeoff is kinda shaky though. but that's fine.

4. also got a new exhaust welded on, with two rubber hangers.

rode the bike about 50 miles so far with no problems.

i have a question:
i want to have a light for night riding. is there a way to get power from my engine?

pics

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
ok my bike is ready for the upcoming race. i made a few changes:

1. got the correct pilot and main jet installed. bike runs much smoother and faster now!

2. relocated my rear brakes. they use to be on the jackshaft. i hated how touchy they were, so i moved them to the rear wheel. they feel much better and i'm not affraid to press them.

3. also got a 48 tooth rear sprocket for street driving. guess what my top speed is now. 60MPH!!!! takeoff is kinda shaky though. but that's fine.

i have a question:
i want to have a light for night riding. is there a way to get power from my engine?
There's a race coming up? :)

You could use the sides of the gas tank for number plates. :D

Don't forget that Grange is at 3400 feet which is going to change your jetting.

How fast are you gearing it for at the track?

There is no easy way to get power off the engine.

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
are those washers shiming the disk out from the hub? they will come loose. use studs nuts to hold the sprocket then spacers/washer/nut to hold the disk.

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
for the race my top speed will be 43mph.

dmb thanks for the good suggestion. i'll take care of that tomorrow.

if i have a 12.5 pilot and 120 main jet what should i change to?

so there is no way to power a light off the engine?

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Altitude and weather affect jetting , The higher you go the less air . Same with weather the hotter it is you want to jet leaner the cooler it is you can jet richer . I would run as is at first you should bring a few extra jets with you just in case . I always try and have three jets sizes up and down from what I am running to make changes . So that means I would bring six different size jets with me .

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
Altitude and weather affect jetting , The higher you go the less air . Same with weather the hotter it is you want to jet leaner the cooler it is you can jet richer . I would run as is at first you should bring a few extra jets with you just in case . I always try and have three jets sizes up and down from what I am running to make changes . So that means I would bring six different size jets with me .
ok thanks for the advise. i'll look into this and order some new jets.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Just finished reading this thread. As an old guy I have no interest in racing and in northern Minnesota there's nobody to race against/with anyway. But this has been a great thread leading to success. What I like the very best is how everyone wanted to help and your willingness to listen. What a great forum this is!
SB

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Here's a YouTube video of a guy converted to electric start using parts from a Honda GX200 from Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HONDA-G...392?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab46ddf60

Do a Google search on 212cc Predator electric start.

I don't what the amperage for charging, but looking on the Honda website, they have 3 amp ratings in the Specs tab. My guess is 1 amp. The higher ratings are probably for the optional charging coil option which I don't know if it would work on the 212cc Predator.

http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gx200

After doing more research, found a charging coil from the same Ebay seller of the GX200 electric starter kit and it is rated 3 amps. My guess is the contact Ebay seller and confirm charging coil amps with electric starter kit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CHARGIN...220?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336e22eed4

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
yeah i know this forum has been very helpful to me. lots of good ideas and advice.

that charging coil would work perfect. thanks

i think i'll try that there are so many motorcycle shops around here.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Second thought, it would be good just for the flywheel and charging coil. Forget the starter and switch, it would still be a good deal. Sell the left overs on Ebay.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
Hey guys, I’ve decided to sell my engine and drivetrain parts.
The following parts are for sale:

212cc predator engine with 18lb valve springs, 1” straight pipe exhaust, mikuni carburetor with adapter, uni air filter, max torque clutch for #35 chain. price: $250

Jack shaft system with 18 tooth input sprocket and 10 tooth output sprocket. price: $100

Rear #35 66 tooth sprocket, rear #35 48 tooth sprocket, rear #35 72 tooth sprocket, 5 day old rear #35 chains. Hot hat adapter to hold sprocket to hub of mountain bike wheel. price: $100

My rear chain tensioner for $10

These are basically all the main parts you need to install a 212cc engine on your bike. I’m willing to work on the price if you want all the parts. Let me know if you’re interested. (818) 636-2797

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
also selling my entire bike for $1500. it has exactly $1593 in parts. i have a list of parts i could send you if interested. let me know if your interested.

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
i'm going to put in a different engine. the cost of the parts to make my engine the HP i want would be the same as getting the other engine.

plus i enjoyed building the bike a lot. so more fabricating would be fun. i have some big plans if i find a buyer for all these parts. or the whole bike.

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
I'd might be interested in the top hat adapter but I can get a brand new one from kings for 37 bucks.
What kind of engine are ya thinking about?

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
bocko: you only want the top hat adapter? no other parts?
i would need to sell a good amount of parts at one time to be willing to start taking the bike apart. i don't want to sell one part and then be stuck with all the other parts. if your willing to buy the top hat adapter and 3 sprockets and chain i would sell it for $100. the sprockets where cnc machined to have the same bolt pattern as the adapter. $100 is a good price. cost me $165 and only used it for 2 months.

i'm thinking a 2 stroke water cooled engine.

jonny r : i think your asking if these parts are what you would need to put a 212cc engine in your bike. yes these are almost all the parts you will need to install this engine on your bike. obviously you would have to weld a mounting bracket to your frame. look at my bikes mounting brackets. there are pics on this thread.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
im good on that engine i have bought a 99cc for my build if i had the money and you wernt on the other side of the country i would think about buying it its a nice bike as it is

i wanted to know what would be the next step up that you are going to build?