Morini S6T clutch seized :(

GoldenMotor.com

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
Sooo I was cruising towards downtown the other day and I noticed my idle was bogging down.. as I tried to rev it up it became harder and harder. Then It chugged to a stop. I tried to kick it back and and the kick start was completely seized! Unfortunately I wasn't carrying any tools on me so I started to peddle home, 10 miles back mostly uphill with the heaviest bike ever. (lol i was i was exaggerating) since I'd never thought my clutch would have ever been an issue because it's stock, I did remember mixing my fuel 50:1 which led me to think I may have burnt my motor up. I pulled it apart...

wow is that a clutch pad?

damn

well there it is.
Stupid me thought for sure it was the motor so I pulled my head and pulled the piston out no scoring on the cylinder walls, piston is clean, no visible damage. Attempting to put it back without a ring compressor scored the rings a bit. Now I need a piston ring compressor, piston rings, and all the related gaskets doh! ~ ~

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
Have you guys used alternative clutches? I've already ordered another stock cluch but damn.. for 70 bucks I think I could pick up something nicer in terms of an upgrade.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I think the Grippa 3 shoe model is more heavy duty. I have yet to break a Grippa clutch or a two shoe. I did not use my 2 shoe very long on my first 5.8.

I did break a clutch, ''the Grippa model'' once it was my fault tho. I had a screw driver going through the webbing to hold the bell still. When I got the crank shaft nut loose the hole assembly rattle from the snap. Screw driver was in the wrong place. This in turn chipped the shoe backing apart on one of the shoes. It was an over sight on my part but I thought to share so no one else does it.

Lock tight, is ''very important'' on all of these clutches. I am considering a slightly more serviceable grade red lock tight. I have used a blue lock tight from a local hobby shop that has been perfect so far tho.
http://motorbicycling.com/f30/locktite-how-remove-6957.html

Last edited:

rat racer

Apr 20, 2011
florence,az
say if you haven't purchased a ring compressor try a stainless steel band clamp
(radiator hose clamp) put wood dowels under your piston when installing
clyinder over piston to make it easier that clutch looks nasty how old is it.I am awaiting delivery on my santa cruz scooter works 9.4 morini and I hope that isn't a weak part of the engine

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi Rat
Did you order the street or dirt version? So far I love mine...Hope I dont have bad luck with my clutch you guys are starting to bum me out with all these problems . I no it's a race bike but Damn. I know race bikes need wrenchen. But I hope not every time I ride it hard........ .Flex....

Last edited:

rat racer

Apr 20, 2011
florence,az
ordered the street version...still not here,four weeks and counting ......any day now.....I hope...

I ordered 9.4 with 3 shoe clutch is that what I am looking at in your picture?

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
2 shoe clutch..

I called franco morini USA for replacement parts for my S6-T engine. Those guys over there are frustrating to deal with by the way so don't go to them unless nobody has your stuff. I asked numerous times if the guy had the right parts because he seemed way too confident considering they did NOT list the S6T stuff on their website and he STILL got it wrong. I ordered head gaskets, piston rings, and a clutch kit. Tried to make a case and have the guy send me a shipping label for return of the parts so we'll see how this pans out (i know shipping is only like $5 bucks but the guy charged me $10.00 flat rate)

Fortunately the clutch will work for the setup I have even though it's probably for an S6-E engine.. the material seems a lot beefier then the S6T cast clutch pads, but I'm not sure how long it will last. I ended up installing it and so far so good.

What kind of exhaust o-ring gaskets is everyone using?

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
say if you haven't purchased a ring compressor try a stainless steel band clamp
(radiator hose clamp) put wood dowels under your piston when installing
clyinder over piston to make it easier that clutch looks nasty how old is it.I am awaiting delivery on my santa cruz scooter works 9.4 morini and I hope that isn't a weak part of the engine
Clutch wasn't very old 100 miles or less.

S6-T engine has two shoe clutch.

I believe the S6-S comes with a 3 shoe racing clutch.

Did end up buying a ring compressor for 7 bucks at harbor freight, works great. =)

rat racer

Apr 20, 2011
florence,az
thanks for the reply I guess the clutches are a weak point dean is going to deliver my bike to willow as they were having trouble getting the 3 shoe clutch to engage below 7000 rpm hope it is ok for the race those guys build a nice bike
it would be a shame to drive 900miles round trip from AZ. only to find out the bike is not running besides I want to wear my new red and black leather racing suit LOL

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
it would be a shame to drive 900miles round trip from AZ. only to find out the bike is not running besides I want to wear my new red and black leather racing suit LOL
I am sure Dean will have your bike ready. If not you can at least race my HardRock with the Chinese 2-stroke. My Chinese bike and Morini are way under powered but it will be fun at least.

But I am positive Dean will have your bike ready but you know you will have something to ride. I might even take a third bike for anyone who wants to race it. But I have to wait to see if my buddy's are going for sure cause dont know if I will have the room for all those bikes.

rat racer

Apr 20, 2011
florence,az
Just talked to dean at santacruz because there was a difference in shipping
to az and delivery to the track we worked out a smokin deal.The bike I am getting is not the 9.4hp but the 11hp water cooled version. guess I'll have to
get better at track position and cornering if I want to run with four easy.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
robin, your not afraid the 2 shoe will break again, i purchased my engine used off someone here on the forum, and he said he had replaced the clutch already, and it just blew again (after 200 miles) it seems those clutches are garbage, im very frustrated right now as im sure many have been with theyre clutches failing, did u say you had the 3 shoe on there before?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Three shoe clutches are cherry...The two shoe clutches are junk. I have yet to break a three shoe. On my Morini S6S/Boxer I tried to wear it out ''3shoe'' all summer! The clutch is still perfect and in a wet oil bath seriously it is barely worn.

The three little bolts that hold the washer stacks/shoes on the hub ''do not tighten them more than 8 foot pounds guys''. That is what the lock tight is for. A bolt that size in any application is not worthy of uber strength torquing.

Last edited:

andrew ilsley

Jan 15, 2018
Sooo I was cruising towards downtown the other day and I noticed my idle was bogging down.. as I tried to rev it up it became harder and harder. Then It chugged to a stop. I tried to kick it back and and the kick start was completely seized! Unfortunately I wasn't carrying any tools on me so I started to peddle home, 10 miles back mostly uphill with the heaviest bike ever. (lol i was i was exaggerating) since I'd never thought my clutch would have ever been an issue because it's stock, I did remember mixing my fuel 50:1 which led me to think I may have burnt my motor up. I pulled it apart...

wow is that a clutch pad?

damn

well there it is.
Stupid me thought for sure it was the motor so I pulled my head and pulled the piston out no scoring on the cylinder walls, piston is clean, no visible damage. Attempting to put it back without a ring compressor scored the rings a bit. Now I need a piston ring compressor, piston rings, and all the related gaskets doh! ~ ~
You wouldn't happen to know were to get one of those clutch nut gears from in your pic any help would be much appreciated. Ps what motor is that on