More Maytag Mayhem

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the tips MT! I have used adjustable pulleys in the past both to vary the ratio and for belt tension. One would have worked in this situation but width was critical and the adjusters are pretty wide. It may be a bit awkward looking but its easy to adjust the idler and it imposes very little drag. There are 1/2 size belts out there that are spec by equipment manufacturers but I have long lost my belt catalogs.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I've always thought of that one as being the Call of Cthulhu air filter housing ;)
Explain? Not that half human half goat thing that plays some kind of pipe thing is it?

Got the point/coil ignition basically installed. Just need the battery box and the switch to get here to finish it out. Scored another antique voltmeter to keep track of state of charge. It also has a setting to function as an ammeter so I can actually determine the systems draw-all to 1916 accuracy.
The coil fit pretty well under the engine, and the Honda condenser looks almost OEM. So far a very easy conversion. I also removed the indexing slot from the magnetos backing plate so the timing is now adjustable by moving the plate.
Camera is giving up, sorry for the poor pics.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Now Im scared of my air filter!!

Tested the ignition yesterday, has super hot fire on both plugs. Need to finalize my plans involving the governor and throttle control and it will be time to try and fire off the Maytag. The carb is the big unknown now. I didn't measure the main jet in the NT carb but visually it looks very close to the drilling in venture orifice used in the Maytag. Would love to get that lucky!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Coming down the home stretch.
Worked up enough courage to work around the air filter and fabbed a throttle control lever. Its simplicity at its best. Simply pulls the cable directly over, yep, more R/C heli bearings. Works very smoothly. Will have to add a stop when the mid 2k rpm range is determined. Of course a knob for the lever is in the works.
Also installed the Yamaha tool/battery box. Just need to get a toggle on/off switch and wire up the ignition, add the fuel line and its ready to crank.
Added a 2014 quarter to the end of the crank at the start pulley. It dates the build.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well we have lift off! I have been stretched pretty thin with life recently, but finally got a day free to work on the bike. Everything came together easily to finalize the ready to run mode. After a bit of experimentation with throttle position(took way more than I would have thought), she fired right off. I am so pleased with how it runs. The old Maytag loves the NT carb just as it is. I haven't put a tach on it yet but it will idle lower than they run stock. It responds well to throttle and I swear sounds like its easily turning in the low 3k range. Runs very smoothly from idle to as fast as I have courage to run it.
My fears about the slight play in the rod seem unfounded as she runs with no unusual mechanical noise. The space man muffler sounds great! Has a mellow fairly quiet tone.
When you put the throttle to it, it rewards any by standers with copious amounts of smoke. The smell of a 16:1 2stroke takes me back to the kid days in the 50s. Nothing smells quite like them.
Have a few more drive details to finish before a test ride. As much as I hate loading vids on Youtube, I will try to eventually get one up.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Finally got to ride the thing. Its like stepping back to the 1920s or something. Been asked a lot of questions about what it is and how old is it. It is a leisurely ride but will slowly build up speed to Im guessing around 20. Its pretty fun though easing along at 10-12 just above idle with a true putt putt sound. Its pretty torquey. Its been totally reliable. The only time it has quit was when I ran it out of gas. The roller is actually too big for the current gearing. Its 2.4", I believe it will be happier at around 2", or with a larger roller shaft pulley. The roller is cheaper to change so will probably do that.
The twisted drive works perfectly. Absolutely no belt issues. So now the east/west mounting of a twin is not so complicated/expensive.
Boy is it messy with its oil mix. Keep the right foot back! If the muffler was flipped I would look like a WWI flying ace with an oily face with goggle marks! Am probably gonna try a 20:1 mix, don't think it will hurt it.
Starts very easily. 3rd pull cold with full choke. First pull every time when hot.
Its a pretty endearing little thing. Its one of those builds when everything just works well together. It all comes together to create an experience of years long gone, back to a slower gentler time. That as they say is priceless!