More Maytag Mayhem

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Nice work on the clutch :)

I was thinking to myself that this method of mounting up an engine and laying out the drive would be a good one for any engine that has a large flywheel or any other bits that might foul the pedal cranks if it was installed in the usual manner.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks IWW!

This build is one of those where you just keep throwing parts at it and evolves
as it goes. The only things basing the build were the frame, the engine and its orientation in the frame. The rest is my idea what it took to get it there. Truly a form follows function build. It has actually turned out pretty well laid out as far rider fit, at least me. Cant wait to get to the point of a test ride.
The Maytag is a non runner at this point having a mag problem. That's usually a simple fix. still have the exhaust to work out but that's no big deal.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The direction changing belt has opened a few eyes. We will all have known about them on different machinery, but not made the mental jump you have.

Perhaps that's the difference, you're more mental than we are? :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
And he likes to jump from one great idea to another. One build is quite different from the next, so I always take a look to see what he's coming up with. Entertaining and learn something, too.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That is for sure. I knew all that as my Case has that setup on mower deck drive,just never thought of it on a bike. I think it would be more effective as a right angle drive then a gear box and take less power then a gear box.
He does what why didn't i think of that should be. So simple and effective...........Curt

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks guys!

Being in lawn equipment so long I have seen belts run all kind of ways, even turned inside out and run on the flat side. Cool thing is I could easily go chain drive by flipping the primary belt and adding a sprocket behind the driven pulley, and a chain and rear sprocket of course. That's a cool thing about twisted belts, a rotational direction change is as simple as flipping the belt.
I have really enjoyed this build and its challenges. The last challenge is to make the Maytag get along with the CG carb!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Heres an easy way to make a clutch lock if you are trying to stay with a vintage handle control and /or continue in the Goldberg school of building. A reshaped 3/4 copper pipe clamp fit the handle perfectly after drilling the rivet and replacing it with a screw. Its very easy to engage/disengage with one finger after the handle is pulled home. I suppose a form of handle could also be added to the clamp for an even classier Goldberg execution.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Thinking this through, all those vertical shaft engines that people ignore are now fair game. Most interesting.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thinking this through, all those vertical shaft engines that people ignore are now fair game. Most interesting.

..and cheap, mass produced and would look cool rack mounted! The replacement push mower engines are kinda streamlined.

I was gonna mill a worm gear until I read this thread!

Thanks again CB. ("CB style vert. shaft MB mount/reduction")

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Go for it Dan and thread it!

Scored a fairly rare Le Clair Mfg muffler for the the Maytag They were used when the engine was installed on a mower, generator, water pump etc. Seems weird enough for the Goldberg Special. Exits out of the bottom, am sure it will insure oily shoes and pants. Looks like the helmet the alien wore in the 1954 movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still".
Heres a link to one on a running engine. The rope start pulley was also made by Le Clair, pricy when you find them.. Notice how smooth the twin is. Its just sitting there un-mounted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaGC_QmB52w

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I was thinking it was more like that robot from thing, you know, by the Simpsons people.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah it is interesting/strange. I will be the first on my block with one for sure!

SB its cast aluminum, its just the light in the room giving it a brass tint.

Its a goner if I drop the bike on that side. Probably should lay in a extra cylinder too just in case. They are plentiful now and can be had for $16 honed and bead blasted.
Havent dropped a bike in years, but theres a lot of sand here and its always in the turns. Don't think I will add crash bars, I like life on the edge.

Curt, hows this? More like Futurama?

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME! Love it, really coming alone KOOOOOOL.

Awesome what you come up with, nobody else has. Like why didn't i think of that...................Curt

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Heres a frontal pic. Has the look I was after. BMW/early aviation.
Waiting on a few parts to finalize everything, then its time to get into the engine and finish up a few details.
Am thinking a weathered black paint job. Seems like black is a safe bet for vintage bikes/motorcycles.

Attachments