Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sorry for the lack of up dates, things have been pretty busy lately. Over the holidays I spent an entire day cleaning up some of the weld but I still have a bunch to do, nothing new that warrants any photo updates.

I'm currently in Iowa visiting my father and today he and I went to the national motorcycle museum and I had my first encounter with the realy thing. The first bike I saw was a 1921 hd, and let me tell you these machines have nothing in common with bicycles at all. These things are serious business.

I brought along my tape measure so I see how my bike compaired to the real thing and the resemblance is uncanny. Standing in front of the 1921 hd if felt as if I was stanging infront of my bike, the scale of it is almost Idetical.

I was very curious about the actual wheel/tire size of the real bikes spesifically late teens to early twenties. I took some measurements and it seem that the overall diameter varies between 28 and 28.5 with widths between 2.25 and 2.75. When compaired to the Simplex Worksman wheel/tire combo with a measurement of 27.5x2.125 The diferance is hardly noticeable, and clearly the best choice for a btr build.

My father took a photo of me next to a few of the bikes, so when I get back home I will post those as well as a photo of me next to my bike you guys can see how uncanny the dimensions are.

Here is a link to the museum if any of you are in the area and care to take a look. I highly recommend it, its a very comprehensive museume of motorcycle history.
http://www.nationalmcmuseum.org/home.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I really wish we had a museum with these bikes in OZ, but sadly i dont think there is...... and as ive also never came face to face with one of these early machines ill have to wait until i got to a vintage bike show.

Seeing them in person must have been inspiration to get back into your build and i cant wait to see it, you must be eagerly awaiting that first ride

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
! 2nd the notion! It’s a great museum!

And easily the best use of a former Walmart ever! :)

-Kirk

Sorry for the lack of up dates, things have been pretty busy lately. Over the holidays I spent an entire day cleaning up some of the weld but I still have a bunch to do, nothing new that warrants any photo updates.

I'm currently in Iowa visiting my father and today he and I went to the national motorcycle museum and I had my first encounter with the realy thing. The first bike I saw was a 1921 hd, and let me tell you these machines have nothing in common with bicycles at all. These things are serious business.

I brought along my tape measure so I see how my bike compaired to the real thing and the resemblance is uncanny. Standing in front of the 1921 hd if felt as if I was stanging infront of my bike, the scale of it is almost Idetical.

I was very curious about the actual wheel/tire size of the real bikes spesifically late teens to early twenties. I took some measurements and it seem that the overall diameter varies between 28 and 28.5 with widths between 2.25 and 2.75. When compaired to the Simplex Worksman wheel/tire combo with a measurement of 27.5x2.125 The diferance is hardly noticeable, and clearly the best choice for a btr build.

My father took a photo of me next to a few of the bikes, so when I get back home I will post those as well as a photo of me next to my bike you guys can see how uncanny the dimensions are.

Here is a link to the museum if any of you are in the area and care to take a look. I highly recommend it, its a very comprehensive museume of motorcycle history.
National Motorcycle Museum | Home

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
That's good to hear your chosen scale of necessity and practicality has worked out to be the same 'feel' as the 'real deal' !

Good for a tribute to have those qualities.

It's gonna be GREAT when you finally get some wind in your hair and bugs in yer teeth! lol

...just avoid the splinters!

Best
rc

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I have a book on Harley Davidson Motorcycles year by year from the first model to modern times and it looks like they were using 26" wheels till 1910. The first 28" showed up in 1911, but they sold several models that had both sizes for a while. It's very subjective to each person, but I think the most handsome bikes were between 1903 and 1919. From 1920 onward they really started getting a more modern look with subtle curves on the tank.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Interesting, My Harley-Davidson encyclopedia shows the base standards as

28 X 2.25 or 2.5 from 1903 to 1912

28 X 2.75 or 3 from 1913 to 1918

However 26” wheels on the early tall wheeled bikes were available as a rarely ordered option for “Gentlemen of modest stature”

Starting in 1919 it gets more complex with several different models using different sizes including, 27 x 3.85, 26 x 3, and the racers from the early to mid 20’s still using 28 x 3 or 3.30.

It shows a 1919 model W sport with 26 x 3, is that the one you are referring too?

BTW: This 1920 is owned by a Forum member here...

Antique Motorcycle 1920 Harley Sport Model W AMCA - YouTube

-Kirk

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
That's exactly the one I'm referring to. A tribute to that motorcycle would fit the motorized bicycle platform very well. I believe it was one of the few Harleys built with an 'in frame' fuel tank, just right for a Worksman INB or Husky industrial frame.

A Maytag Model 72, Briggs opposed twin or maybe a military surplus 2A042 engine although a bit big would be great. The engine in this motorcycle was a stressed member which you could do with the Maytag and possibly the other two as well.

Too bad the sound quality is so bad on that video.

MHF

P.S. I'm leading this thread astray....I'll stop now.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
“The Complete Harley-Davidson Encyclopedia” Tod Rafferty, Bramley Books 1997

It’s a large coffee table style book with large side view photos & specs of nearly every model through 1997.

If you can find a copy I’d highly recommend it!

Sure wish I could find one just like it for Indian's!

-Kirk

2-Cycle

Jun 4, 2009
WA, AZ
“The Complete Harley-Davidson Encyclopedia” Tod Rafferty, Bramley Books 1997

It’s a large coffee table style book with large side view photos & specs of nearly every model through 1997.

If you can find a copy I’d highly recommend it!

Sure wish I could find one just like it for Indian's!

-Kirk
Mr B

You wish has come true ;~)

Check out this book:

"The Indian" The History of a Classic American Motorcycle, by Tod Rafferty

Great pictures, covers Indian Motorcycles from 1901 t0 2001

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Mr B

You wish has come true ;~)

Check out this book:

"The Indian" The History of a Classic American Motorcycle, by Tod Rafferty

Great pictures, covers Indian Motorcycles from 1901 t0 2001
Woot! I'm lookin' it up! I don't know what it is about Indians, but they do rather seem to inspire very devoted enthusiasm.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Well I made It home from Iowa, and now its back to work. I spent the last 2 days working on the front cylinder exhaust pipe and header, and I'm really excited about how it turned out. My cvt will be here sometime this week too so I can start the rear cylinder exhaust when that arrives.

Attachments