LEGIT Briggs 5 on BMX Junkgoose rat bike

GoldenMotor.com

2CHAINZBMX'er

Jun 16, 2013
Midwest
Just found this forum! Awesome

This is my 1st successful attempt at building a motorized bicycle. From what I see on here most people use old Schwinn type bikes. I chose to go with BMX for a couple reasons. I will keep those to myself! lol

I know the slant of the motor might raise some questions, and I was worried about it from the beginning but so far it has not cause any problems. I'm sure it will foul up the motor eventually, but h*** this thing goes and for this build that is really all I cared about.

Built with 90% found or scrap or junk or re-purposed bits and pieces.

probably a dozen different people have driven this thing a total of 100 miles, HARD.

I wish I had taken more pics of what exactly went into this thing and all the bits and pieces. But there's some good stuff here.

There were a total of 3 phases (so far...) of work done on this "thingy". A "thingy" that hits 41 mph. First it started off comprised of the BMX bike, and pulleys and belts from the Tiller that the motor came from. It "worked". Then I gained access to some junk go-kart parts. Some frame mods, and changing over to two chains (hence the name) were next. The 3rd phase

Bits and pieces:
-Crummy FREE old rusty Mongoose BMX bicycle
-Garden Tiller
-Jack Shaft
-Centrifugal clutch
-Go-kart exaust pipe
-Ammo box
-Faux Ostrich leather
-Various harware

Evolution:
No pics were taken in the initial phase of the build, but I do have a video detailing the mechanics and a POV ride. It was really about a simple build to get the systems involved working. So nevermind the scary frame and shotty welding!

link here >>> http://youtu.be/inKNYZs_yVI

I did take some pics of "the rest" of the build:

I wish I had finished that up with a pic that includes the rear wheel. Maybe I will add one later on.. But that's not all....
Here is a POINT OF VIEW POV video with a trip I took to work (I drove it daily to work 2mi for a couple weeks) and towards the end I speed by a cop doing 40mph easy in a 30mph zone, I try to turn off of the road really quickly only to eat asphalt! (far from breaking the bike)

link here >>> http://youtu.be/MznC1UugVZQ

enjoy! and please comment! because until now I have not been able to find many people very interested in these things! Always an eye catcher, but they have no IDEA what they are looking at!

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Most of us attach a motor to a bike. Looks like you went your own way and attached a bike to a motor! That thing must fly! Good job.

2CHAINZBMX'er

Jun 16, 2013
Midwest
Thanks! I considered making a chest pad that continued from the seat and up that top bar but ultimately the rounded section looked way cool anyhow so I was happy with it. Here's a better picture of it.

2CHAINZBMX'er

Jun 16, 2013
Midwest
It goes 41 mph, and breaks earth loose going up steep hills if your not careful! It even punched somebody in the face...

HAMBURGER SEAT

Here's another rig I did. But it's not a bicycle so I'll just put it in a comment!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Getting hit in the face with that engine must have been unpleasant, lol! That's like the first time I forgot to counter hold the right grip against the compression pull starting mine, BAP!

How come you didn't put a Lifan 125 on that Sachs? Preddys cool, just wondering since it would bolt right up.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Dude. That thing is an abomination! I love it!!
People like you are the reason I enjoy building stuff so much. I had a neighbor like you when I was growing up and watching the freaky stuff he was messing with ruined me for life.
Good show sir!

2CHAINZBMX'er

Jun 16, 2013
Midwest
Well I didn't have quick access to that motor, and I didn't want to waste time when i have harbor freight down the road. 212cc motor for $130 ain't bad. Plus, this is all really building up to what I am ultimately trying to accomplish which would consist of an entire frame build etc utilizing economical bits and pieces. Trying to make it a utilitarian device. I think of these projects more as prototyping than anything else. The compression on the 212cc predator motor will yank the cord right out of your hand if you are giving it too much fuel, to my understanding they are not equipped with a compression release trigger. The bmx bike did a wheelie right into a friend of mines face because he was standing in front of it holding the throttle while my other friend was starting it up. Was rather comical, everybody was fine surprisingly.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
their compression release is on the cam, it opens the exhaust valve at slow rpm's then moves away upon startup. still it will get u sometimes. got to see it in action!!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The more sophisticated side of me (not a BIG side of me, don't worry lol) says, "what a godawful MESS". But the utilitarian/minimalist in me says, "this is function over form with abandonment, and there's a certain coolness to that, I can dig it". I really like the full suspension 212cc bike. If I lived closer to you and had some money, I'd probably make you an offer on the f/s bike. What I really want to say about the 5 horse bmx bike is this though: Congrats on building the world's smallest crotch rocket. And I mean that sincerely.

2CHAINZBMX'er

Jun 16, 2013
Midwest
just curious, what is a f/s bike? Thank you for your eloquent praise! Function over form is definitely where I was taking this. To me, the coolest "looking" things are derived in that fashion. I also like the fact that we are starting to talk money here! lol I am working on something right now that is very different from anything I've seen. I am also working on getting it patented and that is the only reason why you do not see any pictures or descriptions! However, I will post with photos and the show the design process a little later once I get all the details nailed down.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
f/s = full suspension. We're not exactly "talking money " lol. I said IF I lived closer to you and IF I had any money (that's the real problem here lol) THEN I would make you an offer. That 212cc bike is just too cool. But I don't have enough money to make any kind of respectable offer on that bike. But you definitely do some interesting work.

2CHAINZBMX'er

Jun 16, 2013
Midwest
Started as a bicycle, ended up with a motor. In my opinion it's still a Motorized Bike. What forum do you suggest I post it on Moonerdizzle? I understand the not having money part Bigbutterbean. I appreciate the sentiment in both cases!

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Just found this forum! Awesome

This is my 1st successful attempt at building a motorized bicycle. From what I see on here most people use old Schwinn type bikes. I chose to go with BMX for a couple reasons. I will keep those to myself! lol

I know the slant of the motor might raise some questions, and I was worried about it from the beginning but so far it has not cause any problems. I'm sure it will foul up the motor eventually, but h*** this thing goes and for this build that is really all I cared about.

Built with 90% found or scrap or junk or re-purposed bits and pieces.

probably a dozen different people have driven this thing a total of 100 miles, HARD.

I wish I had taken more pics of what exactly went into this thing and all the bits and pieces. But there's some good stuff here.

There were a total of 3 phases (so far...) of work done on this "thingy". A "thingy" that hits 41 mph. First it started off comprised of the BMX bike, and pulleys and belts from the Tiller that the motor came from. It "worked". Then I gained access to some junk go-kart parts. Some frame mods, and changing over to two chains (hence the name) were next. The 3rd phase

Bits and pieces:
-Crummy FREE old rusty Mongoose BMX bicycle
-Garden Tiller
-Jack Shaft
-Centrifugal clutch
-Go-kart exaust pipe
-Ammo box
-Faux Ostrich leather
-Various harware

Evolution:
No pics were taken in the initial phase of the build, but I do have a video detailing the mechanics and a POV ride. It was really about a simple build to get the systems involved working. So nevermind the scary frame and shotty welding!

link here >>> http://youtu.be/inKNYZs_yVI

I did take some pics of "the rest" of the build:

I wish I had finished that up with a pic that includes the rear wheel. Maybe I will add one later on.. But that's not all....
Here is a POINT OF VIEW POV video with a trip I took to work (I drove it daily to work 2mi for a couple weeks) and towards the end I speed by a cop doing 40mph easy in a 30mph zone, I try to turn off of the road really quickly only to eat asphalt! (far from breaking the bike)

link here >>> http://youtu.be/MznC1UugVZQ

enjoy! and please comment! because until now I have not been able to find many people very interested in these things! Always an eye catcher, but they have no IDEA what they are looking at!

So if you hit the brakes too hard or come to unexpected stop too quick does the top square tube give you a front crack to match your back crack? You must already have kids and not plan on having anymore I guess. You're a much braver man than me. LOL

2CHAINZBMX'er

Jun 16, 2013
Midwest
I was more worried about flipping the thing and it stinging me like a scorpion with that pointed part. I was really just trying to get the thing working with simple to make frame before I put much extra work into the thing streamlining it. I considered leaving it there and just adding a padded chest rest so you could basically lay down on it. And yes, this thing was/is SKETCHY