Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Rick,
Figured that you hadn't posted because you weren't out in the garage due to the cold. The garage finishing off here was real slow for the same reason and when we put the 220v electric heater on you couldn't see the wheel on the meter since it was a blurr of speed.

Women folk just don't understand men's primative desire for fire. Of course they are rarely seen in a freezing garage either. :) Always amazed me when something needs to be done in the freezing garage it suddenly becomes "man's work".

No hurry for the motor at all. Very much appreciate you doing it for me. I'm just working along as I feel like it. My attitude is that I'm retired and I don't have to but my brother claims it's because I'm old and can't.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Steve,
Nice to see you progressing on the tri-car. It looks good and the wheels are a bargain. I'm trying to decide if I should order a set, although I have 1950's Schwinn rims in good shape, so just need to order spokes in 12 gauge. I'm looking forward to more photos, so keep them coming. Very much wanting to see pictures of your Jacobsen engine.
Seiing your progress makes me wish winter would let up here. but it is still very cold with more night time temps in the basement...37 below 0 the other night. Wish I had a heated shop to work in. Someday when I grow up I will.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Silverbear,
Just sat down from drilling the holes in the spring leaves. I'm pretty confident that this will work to our advantage and if it needs a couple more leaves I'll add them. May add a couple of supports under the seat to the front axle as well. No one will see them unless we run over them and then I'm confident even then they will be more concerned about self preservation than the correctness of the supports.

I'm surprised that Rick has as much done on the engine given the weather that you folks have had there. No reason to work in those conditions as I see it. Every time I hear about it I think of the winters I spent working in a freezing cold shop and the only warm place was the spray room. Cost to much to heat the rest of it.
It will be great to see it all together but before the motor is done I have a feeling that the bike will get a spin around the block and you know just how well I can pedal. Need will triumph over inability for sure.

I think that these wheels are a screaming deal. I'm hoping he has a source for them and can order more. I'm going to post the information in the for sale section in a while and link it to the pictures of the wheels I posted. He has a lot of parts listed on the "for sale" thread on Rat Rod Bikes and I hope he will advertise on our forum as well. He seems to be very reasonable with his asking prices.

The long winter sleep will end and everyone will arise from the winter slumber and all will be well with the land.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
As I recall a 10 5/8' spoke length is just right for a drum front brake or Bendix coaster brake in back. Going with 11 gauge would be better, of course. And as I think about it with the additional lateral pressure of a tri-car or sidecar in turns it is a real good idea to go beefy. I broke some spokes on the rear wheel of my American Flyer last summer which was running 11 gauge spokes and a sidecar. Turning at speed on a two wheeler where you are leaning into curves is easier on a wheel than if you are not leaning as with a sidecar or tri-car. That's what I think anyway. Something to think about...
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Steve your springs look good. Clever jug you made just like the old wood benders jig.

THANKS for the link i orderd a set they are $60 deliverd.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thanks for the complement Curt. It worked really well. Glad you were able to get a set of the wheels and I think you will be happy with them.
I'm hoping that the 12 gauge spokes are strong enough to hold up on the tricar. At least it will get me up and running and if the Jacobson turns out to be the rocket ship I think it will be I'll have to gear it so it doesn't toss me into the willows.

Damed old age is really cutting into the "Hold my beer and watch this", moments. Now it's more like "Here, hold my Geritol and get 911 on speed dial". As my old Dad would say "Phapp".

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
We had a rare sunny day here and I was able to get the springs welded up. Mr B's thoughts about welding them up with rosette welds worked beautifully and they went together quickly.
Each weld was ground down before the next leaf was added. There are 3 leaves on each one at the moment and I'm going to add a 4th when I get more metal on Tuesday.

Click on the photo and it will take you to photobucket.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's looking real good, Steve. I hope your fair weather holds so you can keep right on working and sharing photos. Summer isn't all that far off now. These tri-cars are going to be a lot of fun!
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Well the good weather lasted for a day and now we're back to the usual rain. Whips the life out of -35F though. Don't miss the 3' of snow either.
Two more months of hard slogging and spring will have shown it's face and all will be well with the motor bikers world.

Really pleased with the way the springs worked. I'll have them finished this week with luck and mounted so we can get a look at just what we have after all our planning. They do have some springing action as a bonus.
Once I have these to where they are working right I'll build a second pair.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Kirk,
I had planned to bolt or rivet the leaves together and when you suggested rosette welds it made perfect sense to me. I look at these as more seat supports that look like springs than springs but there is a surprising amount of spring action in them.

I was wondering if the heat from the welds would cause the metal to soften but there doesn't seem to be any. At 250 pounds I'm not light and I leaned on the C part of the spring as hard as I could and when I let off it, I compared it to the other spring and there was no difference in shape. The original springs had two 1/4" thick leaves so I figure that 4, 1/8", leaves will work alright. I hope to have the seat mounted this week and I'll give it a test when I sit in it. I can hear the springs screaming in agony now, along with begging for mercy. :)

Steve.