Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ludwig,
There is a museum about 2-1/2 hours away outside Seattle, Washington that has an Indian tricar but I was left with the feeling that they weren't interested in anyone taking photographs or measuring their machine.

The one in the photos I posted is 1,700 km away and could have been visted by detouring down to see it when I went out to see Silverbear but I was well into the build when I found it on the web.

I do envy you the museums you have in Britain.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Envy? You'll hate me now, the National is 4 miles away. Coventry Transport Museum is 1/2 hr. There are others dotted about within the area, and also a regular calendar of vintage events in most places.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ludwig,
Hate is the wrong word. Just let your mind play over the scene in the original Frankenstein movie where the peasants are gathered at the castle gate in a seething mass with torches and pitch forks yelling "Give us the monster" and you will be a lot closer to the fact. :p

Steve.

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Hi Steve,

I just found (rediscovered) this photo in a book of the Indian Tri-Car prototype early in 1904...

The text describes how's it’s just bolted to a standard bike. If you look closely you can see the fork & stem are simply reversed and attached to the steerer tie rod and the seat is a combo of wood & rattan. Weight- 70 lbs.

-Kirk

Edit- Book = The American Motorcycle 1869-1911, Stephen Wright

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
:-||
Hi Steve,

I just found (rediscovered) this photo in a book of the Indian Tri-Car prototype early in 1904...

The text describes how's it’s just bolted to a standard bike. If you look closely you can see the fork & stem are simply reversed and attached to the steerer tie rod and the seat is a combo of wood & rattan. Weight- 70 lbs.

-Kirk
Cool photo!. What book? There's a book on the tri-car?
SB

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
The book is “The American Motorcycle 1869-1911” (Stephen Wright) and just has a single page about the ‘04 prototype.

The driver is George Holden (Indian’s assembly room forman) and passenger William Hutton, photographer- He must of had a timer for this pic... "-)

The book has another page about the Tri-Car with the often seen “outside the building with on looking crowd during a 250 mile endurance run” photo of the debut 1906 production model.

-Kirk

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was thinking that with the Deer Stalker hat he looked like Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes.

Thanks Kirk. I like the buggy seat springs under the seat instead of what they came up with later. I hope to be starting on the spring set up for our tricars later this week and I'm betting that I'll be in for a battle to make that work.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Ich danke Ihnen für Ihr Verständnis; leider ist es nicht um den zusammenklappbaren Natur der Sache.

Ist nicht Google Translate

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I got moving on the tricar the last few days. It looks as if we are going to have an early spring and the weather was dry and sort of warm for the past two days and the sun even came out so I got at it while it lasted.

I made a form to bend the leaves for the springs. These are more seat holders that look like springs than real springs themselves. The metal is 1-1/2 x 1/8 hot rolled steel. Not ideal but it had to be bent around the form and I am going to layered it in 3 or 4 layers to get the thickness that will work. There was enough steel to do 3 layers to start and I go up later in the week and get more. Another set is needed for Silverbears Hiawatha tricar if this set works.

I used three layers of 5/8 plywood that was left over from a job here at the house to make the form. Inch and a half holes were drilled to make pockets for the clamps to fit into to give them a place to grip while the metal was being force up against the form to shape it. A bunch of 12' sliding bar clamps from Harbour Freight were used to hold the metal in place. They are a great deal at $3.99 each and some of the best I've seen.

I posted some pictures on Photobucket and the link is below. If you look along the pictures past the springs you can see the wheels that are going on the front of the tricar with trike hubs that I got in England.
They were very reasonable in price and I'll post a link to the chap I got them from in the for sale section. Chainmaker put us on to them so I'll add to his thread. They were $50 a pair delivered.

I am going to drill holes in each spring and rosett weld each leaf to the first one. Mr. B suggested this over drilling holes and bolting them together A much better idea.

I'll post a link to photobucket shortly.

Here it is. Photobucket messed up again.

Steve.

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
What a lot of great and helpful responses. For awhile there I was thinking maybe it was cool looking, but not practical. Now I'm back to thinking this is possible and something I want to pursue. I hope others do builds along this line, too, so that we can learn from each other as we go.
I'm also really liking the concept of a convertible core bike which can be altered to suit different situations and needs. Ferball's idea of skis up front is thought provoking. I can see skis from a kid sized snowmobile built so that all you do is change the front fork. A rear tire with studs just for snow and ice conditions would be perfect. I recall someone using zip ties successfully (like tire chains on a car) to give more traction. Boy, would that be fun!
Having a core bike with a bullet proof engine and drive system, strong frame and wheels would be the first stage and no small endeavor. But then it is something to add to in coming years without all the expense of another whole build doing frame, engine, etc. all over again. Build the bike, then the sidecar and frame. Then the two wheeled front end. And yes, skis for winter riding. If a person had an interest in a four wheeler you could have a removable trike kit rear end. Four wheeler doesn't interest me a whole lot as I don't know where I'd be able to legally ride it. But for someone it might be a cool thing.
But back to the original photo and idea of two wheels up front on a vintage cruiser. We need for some smart people to figure out a convertible tadpole front end with good steering and maybe even some kind of suspension. I'm not clever or knowledgeable enough to design something that would work well. But some of you guys are. As thoughts and ideas come to you, lets share them to see if we can make this work.
SB
That is a cool bike! Man I had no idea they made those. I'm going to have to bone up on bicycle history, no doubt. As far as the ski front end, I'm in Montana, and there are lot's of contraptions around these parts. Saw two early 70s mini-bikes with balloon tires rear, and skis front, just yesterday. Some guys ride bicycle frames attatched to skis down the mountains. With a drive tire, I can't imagine you'd have much steering.
Hey, there are thousands of surplus skis around, cut em shape em fit em! Keep us updated, this is an interesting project.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
looking really good there, Steve. I'm finished with your engine. Just have to modify your clutch so you can pedal start it. I've not gotten much done lately jus too darn cold. The wife raised cain bout puttin a wood burner in the garage. So I'll have to find another way to heat it in the cold months.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Kirk,
Thank you. It was a nice vacation from building it but as you know it is never far from your thoughts so it's nice to put all that thinking into action, at long last. Also nice to have the garage about finished as well. Just the lighting left.

I bought the wheels from Chuck at [email protected] He's a bicycle mechanic in Texas and he said last night that he had 5 sets left.
They were $50.00 shipped but I don't know if there is a brand name attached to them. They look good to me and are a deal at the price I think.

Steve.