Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
The spindle im gona pull out and photo while the bike is apart for other work .
Cutting the backset for the spindle on the crossbar was realy hard to do we had to lay out the beam on the mill table and reset mill head for each end /$(&)@! , took a few tries .
Cable wise , when rolling almost any will do , at slow speed they can snap ( i weight in like 240) i was thinking of outboard motor cables? Still open 2 ideas

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Outboard cables. There's one I would never have thought of. They are pretty meaty and at 250# I understand what your saying.
Silverbear and I are always having to come up with a way to do things with limited tools and like everyone on here we find it a joy to set up and make a cut and then have to do it all over again with the setting up so you certainly have our sympathy and everyone elses I'm sure.
I'm sure that amount of work keeps a lot of people out of the game which is a shame but as the saying goes only the strong and the lucky survive..

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Looks like a litter-mate to my little friend Aaniimoosh the wonder dog. Moosh is a mix of Schnauzer & Poodle which somebody decided should be called a "Schnoodle". Weird name, but a great little dog. Rescued from a shelter in South Dakota, she loves going for bike rides. Used to ride in a trailer, now loves her canoe sidecarbetter. When we ride along the wind catches under her ears and look like little wings. People like the bike and the sidecar, but what they really like is the dog! Thanks for sharing.
SB

Attachments

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Well i was already in love with vintage bikes ,now i think i've drifted into stocker turff!
Thanks for posting those links ,beyond supercool. My mind is already thinking of designs ,i bet one could make a frame from round bar and have it covered with cane or wicker?
I happen to have a furnature guy just two blocks away? Hummm....

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Sb were to begin ,the side car canoe is far and away one of the coolest things i've ever laid eyes on ! My buddy brett is so into it he can hardly sit still...
Right at the min were building a horseless carrage replica ,but soon as thats done i'll bet he'll start on a side car aswell.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thanks everyone. When I see these old bikes I wish I had started earlier building them.
Just really glad to be doing what I'm doing as it is and for the friends I've made doing them even if we haven't all met.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ludwig,
Having lived with a certified schizophrenic I would venture a guess at yes and that's if she doesn't put you in the basket first.
Yes, there is a story behind that.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
If I was to make a wicker sidecar I'd look for a nice, new, wicker chair that had the look I wanted and would then modify it to what I wanted. Starting with an old piece of furniture will put you back quite a bit because you first have to repair it, then being wicker it will have been painted at least a dozen times in it's lifetime and it would be nearly impossible to strip it since once the rattan is wet it will lose it's shape.
After over 50 years of restoring antique furniture I have some experience.

If you look up suppliers of rattan and wicker you will see CD's and books offered that show you what to do. The open ones are the easiest of course and the best to start with and once you get a feel for how it goes why not build an enclosed one.

Since you in the heart of antique land look for an invalid chair which was the forerunner of wheel chairs and were often wicker and not overly useful to a lot of people and can be found at a reasonable price.

After christmas I'll have to go up to the city and look at some of the wicker warehouses and see what I can find. You've got me thinking about them now.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sb were to begin ,the side car canoe is far and away one of the coolest things i've ever laid eyes on ! My buddy brett is so into it he can hardly sit still...
Right at the min were building a horseless carrage replica ,but soon as thats done i'll bet he'll start on a side car aswell.
Glad you & Brett like the sidecar. It started out as a 17' Grumman much damaged in a rapids with a couple of gashes in the mid section. I paid $20.00 for it and could have patched it back up to use again, but had this screwball thought to make a sidecar. Steve was passing through from BC on his way to visit his son in New Hampshire, got interested in the project and within a few days we had a sidecar body, bike length and narrowed up to just a little wider at the stern than a kitchen chair. Made a stern for it out of plywood which we covered with a section of aluminum from the mid section. Where I live in northeastern Minnesota is canoe country, so it gets lots of looks. I still have the other end for another sidecar someday. Fun!
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Moved the tricar spring discussion over here so as not to hijack Mr.B's thread any more than I have. You'll see what was talked about on the Boardtracker and Vintage Motorized Bicycle thread under Mr B"s Excalibur '09 posting.

I was sitting here yesterday afternoon thinking about what Mr.B had talked about joining a trailer spring leaf on the bottom of the spring that holds the seat in place to a newly made upper spring. I had looked at new trailer springs trying to figure out if they could be worked into the plan but gave it up as unworkable.
His plan has opened up a whole new way of thinking and while I was planning a way to do it I remembered a trailer that I had cut up 5 years ago and the only things I kept were the hubs and the springs and after looking at them the top leaf will be about perfect.

Mr.B's plan called for riveting or bolting the cut off end of one spring to the top half of the spring. A rod will go from side to side on the seat and on the foot rest and the eyes of the springs will slide onto the rods so that the chair is suspended on the springs and would give a smoother ride to any passengers your carrying by letting it rock back and forth.

The springs I have are 1/4" x 1-3/4". I'm planning on making a mould of the shape and clamping the steel to it and hammering it to help it keep it's shape. I wrote about my plan in Mr.B's thread and you can read about it there. Two layers of 1/8 x 1-3/4 hot rolled steel will be used to make it easier to form.
Mr.B drew up some plans about how it would work and I pilfered them and brought them over here.

Steve.

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54400&d=1355467291

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54401&d=1355489251

Last edited: