Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Constant fun and more learning experiences. I learned that it costs $190 to replace a starter battery in the camper and that wasn't a lot of fun. After that I was up to get the things I needed from Princess Auto and the metal supply.

I could only get 24 gauge galvanized and not the 26 gauge I wanted. It will be interesting to get it formed for the gas tank but one tank is cut out and I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
My friend decided to weld some 3' dia culverts together. He got the job finished and spent a week in the hospital and his health was never really right after that.

I received an interesting lesson on the dangers of zinc poisoning from the doctor and nurses when I went to visit him. It was a cheap lesson well learned.

Steve.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
My friend decided to weld some 3' dia culverts together. He got the job finished and spent a week in the hospital and his health was never really right after that.

I received an interesting lesson on the dangers of zinc poisoning from the doctor and nurses when I went to visit him. It was a cheap lesson well learned.

Steve.
Hi Steve, a logger out in Oregon I know told me that he always drank milk before and after MIG welding galvy with no ill affects. I am too chicken to find out.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom, after seeing my friend weld that culvert up I wouldn't consider it either. The doctor said he had a sensitivity to zinc fumes like an severe allergy. The milk must have something in it to counteract the zinc.

Steve.

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I've welded it using full respirator gear and commercial vents, but it's always dangerous stuff as is working or welding titanium.

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I have machined titanium, milling and turning. Machining characteristics are much like S.S.,springy as resisting a cutting edge. Phosphor Bronze is another. MSDS never mentioned it as hazardous. I never needed it welded.
It was the most durable holder of heaters in hot runner molds that I ever worked with.
Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tough day today. Had to go out and buy a new belt sander. I was using the belt sander upside down yesterday to sand the tank side edges to size and it showered sparks all over. Outside thankfully. I was a spot excited when they landed in my lap and the only saving grace was I was wearing a welding apron to keep the metal shavings off my clothes.
Would have been the hottest time in town for a lot of years.

Wanted a vertical/horizontal belt sander with a disk sander on the side. Checked around and Canadian Tire had one on sale for $129, regular $229. Usual off shore manufacture.

Canadian tire is much like Western Auto was for those of you who remember them. If not there is a lot on the net about Canadian Tire. Often referred to here in Canada as Crappy Tire for some good reasons though the quality has improved greatly over the years.

They have a loyalty program that is Canadian Tire Money. Often referred to as Canada's other currency. You get 0.4% of your purchase back in it. I'll put some photos of it up when I get the glitch with the photos figured out with the new computer.

Steve.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hey Steve, glad to hear the nether regions are well.
I have set many a apron on fire. Why is it always there?
Your quality remark is spot on. It amazes me how like a auto you wouldn't trust for five years may now get you twenty with regular service.
Keep plugging away. We are all in this together, and keep your stick on the ice. :D

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Never thought about titanium. Does it require special equipment?

Steve.
Steve Tig ac/dc (square wave best), titanium filler & argon shield. Shielding gas front and back sides, so a gas "cabinet" (some hobby shops use a converted bead blast box for this purpose, for small parts) is nice, fume exhaust system and or quality welding respirator. Titanium dioxide is nasty stuff that affects effects kidneys, liver, lungs and brain.

Titanium dust is also a health danger so grinding operations are a problem as well. Other machine operations shouldn't require special precautions. Cutting fluids capture any cutting dust well.

All welding processes on any metal type presents respiratory health hazards, some are just more risky or foolhardy to perform without adequate protection, any plated metal welding can have immediate and severe health consequences so safety equipment and proper technique need be employed.

Prolonged welding of even ordinary steel, in improperly ventilated areas, can lead to "welder's lung" disease and that's not pretty either.

Oh yeah, titanium dust is really explosive at relatively mild temps and even solid state titanium burns in a similar fashion to magnesium and will explode if water is used in an attempt to extinguish the flames.

We used a lot of titanium on our government projects and were subject to contractual government safety oversight and those inspectors didn't play!

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The sander worked perfectly. Quiet and powerful for what it is. When I saw the display model on the shelf I was under impressed but the price and the light use I have planned for it won the day.

Tom, your correct that what even 5 years ago wouldn't have lasted, today lasts for 20 years. Improvements in everything.

I have the sides for the tank ready as well at the tops and I hope to have the first one together today. Just the tops and sides. I am making three since the tank liner does that many. Saving the tank liner just means that it will go hard in the can.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank's Rick. I was wondering what was required to work with Titanium. One metal that is in a rarefied atmosphere of it's own. I always viewed it as a specialty metal that you don't hear a lot about.

A friend of mine worked in a foundry that cast titanium on one of their lines for aircraft and sporting goods such as golf clubs. They shipped the castings out. He said it all hit the fan when an OSHA inspector looking in a couple of tall tanks and realized the molten titanium was passing over water that they used for cooling something. Something about square block of the city disappearing.

His description of the inspector seeing this was pure comedy gold but the inspector was not amused in the least. Foundry was closed for a while as they made adjustments.

I was sure that there were special precautions used when machining it. That is extensive and the training to be able to work with it must be as well.

The town that Silverbear lives in has a welder who was the go to guy for most things. What can be said about someone who drives a Jeep with a hand made 60 Cal machine gun mounted on it. In Op of course but he gave the tourist a start as he drove through town. If you could dream it he'd build it but his health was terrible. Welder disease I'm sure.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Titanium Dioxide in micro and nano size has hit the news. France will start 2020 with a ban on using in food. Duncan Donuts has news about stopping using it. I know it is used in sun screen to block out ultraviolet light. What to do? Don't eat sun block! Ha! Of course when welding it would be best to have a separate hose air supply. I notice in the later year at a surf and windsurf shaping shop they had hose supply air. Also the use of CNC milling where it removed the worker essentially for the while it milled shaping boards I heard was being done on a small scale. The kind of filter mask that fits under a weld helmet I have found does not allow the use of the bigger canister cartridges, just those pads that are not specialized to filter fumes from welding metals.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Thanks for the titanium info Rick. My ignorance gave it innocuous properties.
I expect it functions like beryllium bronze, which I have machined under flood. But not stupid enough to grind. Ever. One of my Mold Makers at a previous position sadly bragged of years of grinding it. I don't know where he is these days. I hope he is still well.
Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I appreciate all you guys & want to see you safe. The stories I've heard of unsafe working technique consisting of the, " Done that for years variety" could probably form the basis of a book. I've thought and said it myselfl, before I realized that what we all thought we got away with actually has a high probability of being a part of that which will eventually lead to our demise!

Work & play with a thought to safety.

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy