Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Rick,
Those tank ends will work nicely for a tank on one of your upcoming projects. Presumably steel?
I lean towards aluminium on my 'home brewed' tanks. Mostly on account of it being convenient to use the 'low temp' brazing solders for aluminium such as the Alu-Build300 rods I used on this particular tank. For anyone interested, this time round I treated myself to a new torch and upgraded to MAPP gas instead of propane, which turned out to be really quick and simple when used in conjuction with these flux-less solder rods with a melting temp of 300 degrees. Joints are guaranteed to be at least as strong as the parent metal. Alu-Build300 solder flows like water once the metal being joined is up to temp. The secret is to clean the joint metal using wet 'n dry. No need to vigorously clean the joint first using a stainless wire brush as is required on other brands of Alumnium solder rods I've used. Then heat things up slowly and evenly to the required temp. Another benefit of Alu-Build300 is it files/sands really easily, making neat joints a cinch. Other 'low temp' ali solder rods I've used previously are hard as steel to clean up once joints have cooled.
As is my normal practice, once the tank is completed, I'll treat the inside with a coating of POR15 tank sealer.

That brake torque arm on my latest build is 270mm long c-to-c, which is the same length as the factory pressed steel arm used on the Skyteam Ace bike I'm sourcing a lot of donor parts from for this build. Basically Honda CG125 spec parts.
I've ordered up a full set of Ace handlebar controls/switchgear from the UK importer which will hopefully get me closer to being able to 'plug 'n play' with the wiring loom that came with my donor Skyteam Ace motor. Going for a road legal headlights/indicators set-up this time round.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Having fun playing with card templates before committing to drawing-up the parts and sending them off to be cut from steel.
The theme on this build is to go with horizontal grilles on the headlight and indicators. So the steel panels needed to gussett the frame fore and aft of the tank will feature horizontal slots as shown in the pics here. Same design cue will probably be featured elsewhere - such as on the rear motor mounts which I'm about to draw-up.
Those gussett panels will also serve to reinforce the sleeved joints where I lengthened the frame's pair of top tubes.
DSCN3866.JPG
DSCN3862.JPG
DSCN3863.JPG
DSCN3864.JPG

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Tom, You defo caught the vibe of my latest build for sure. That deco 'Rocketeer' helmet is just fantastic. Loved that movie.
Currently watching re-runs of the '40s Flash Gordon serial shown every Saturday morning. Watched it over and over as a kid but haven't seen it for years. Every episode chock-full of deco inspired metawork (except for the cardboard robotmen...!?)
I've already bought the paint I intend to rattlecan this build with - but there's just something about the look of bare metal that I'm always drawn to.....

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Modified the 35mm dia. exhaust from a Honda CBF250 to fit my Skyteam 125 motor.
Cut off the oversized 40mm dia. header flange and silver soldered on a new flange cut from 38mm dia stainless tube.
To finish it off, there's a perforated stainless heat shield on its way to me courtesy of eBay.
DSCN3872.JPG
DSCN3868.JPG

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yes Pete the caps are steel though I've nothing against aluminum at all and have several motorized bikes constucted of the stuff. I have some Alumaweld rod on hand and it works well for some of my projects and clean is key and a part of the prep for any joining operation of me.tal not using fasteners.

Bike is looking great and the art deco look is awesome!

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Hey Tom,

Speaking of helmets..... check out this beauty. Another bargain-basement priced brass/steel/copper hand-made masterpiece, courtesy of India's artisan metalworkers. Amazing price point. 118 - 154 quid depending on the material its made from. Various painted finishes also available. All sold post free! Probably same folks who sold me the lovely little brass sun dial I purchased via eBay a couple of years back. Their current raft of metal objet d'art listed on eBay is quite astounding. I've just sprung for a cast alloy walking stick handle which I plan on topping-off the hand shifter lever on my current build.

And no... I'm not contemplating using one of these as a riding helmet. But at the price, it makes for a super household talking point.

diving helmet.jpg
diver's helmet.jpg

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Timing would be right. And it'd serve the same purpose as a covid mask.
Pubs here in the UK resumed trading for the first time today (at least those pubs with outside seating did) after the latest lengthy lockdown. Hairdressers too.
It's a haircut and a pint for me tomorrow. Town living has its advantages. Barbershop is 3 doors down and our windows look straight across to The Plough pub over the road.

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Pete, didn't want to interfere with the creative process but I think your fuel tank does have a nautical theme to it. Can you give some info about the rivets you used, were they added after soldering or before. How did you use them? Very cool!