Have You Ever Found Anything Valuable While Motorbiking?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Last week I was motoring downhill near my home. In the middle of a busy road lay someone's checkbook. It had a blue cover like mine, which is why it caught my eye.

So I parked by twin-engined monster and dodged a few cars to retrieve it. I was on my way to McD's and Home Depot, so I stuffed the book in my pocket and motored on. In fact, I dropped the checkbook in HD and a clerk picked it up for me.

"Sir, ya dropped your checkbook."(coulda been VERY incriminating!)

When I got to my bike, I opened the checkbook for owner's information. Name, address, no phone number. Thumbing thru the book I realized this guy is LOADED! Check amounts were very large, probably a guy my age and ethnicity, homeowner, retired, stable.

So I call my daughter, who finds his name in the phone directory. Great, he's listed. I called, no answer, left my name, number and said I had his checkbook.

Then on with my ride!

Three hours later, it's dark. I called again and the wife answered. I explained myself, and she's SHOCKED! Husband comes on the phone, didn't know he lost his checkbook, asked where I found it, etc. I knew he'd be more comfortable and I would be more believable if he came to my address.

I knew his style. I expected him to have a ton of questions for me and reward money in a sealed envelope. Probably $20-$100. I'm not taking the $$. How do I decline, because I know we'd be out there

"Take it. I want you to have it."
"No thanks."
"I said take it."
"No thanks."

aud nauseum.

I got me a GREAT idea!

The guy arrived at my place 15 minutes later in a nice truck. Sure enough, about my age, stable, solid citizen. Questions where I found it, confused how it got there. Methinks it slid off his dashboard as he made a left turn.

Sure enough, there's that sealed envelope. I turned it down, he's adamant, will throw the envelope out of his window and drive away.

"How about if you stick this in the Salvation Army red kettle when you see one at Christmas time?! Donate it in my name." I responded.

"Are you sure?" he asked in a puzzled manner. "Oh yes."(That GREAT idea came to me while I was waiting for him.)

He felt good. I felt good. We shook hands and he drove away.

I told my wife about it later. She said that with her being unemployed, we could've used the money.

I told her that with her being fired from her job, we needed kharma more than $$.

Anyone have a story?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yeah I found a wallet at a safeway Parking lot.....went home and looked him up in the phone book. Meet with him at a circle K. There was no money in the wallet, he accused me of taking it.

Next time I find a wallet I will toss it in U.S. Post office mail box and let them send it.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Wow great stories. You guys are good people. I hate to say it, but a bit rare these days.

I've never found anything like that. But I always find tools. I've found 12mm, 13mm wrenches more than anything. A hammer. A Craftsman 1/2" ratchet. Coolest was a Greenlee hacksaw! Never able to track down the owners......

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Yeah I found a wallet at a safeway Parking lot.....went home and looked him up in the phone book. Meet with him at a circle K. There was no money in the wallet, he accused me of taking it.

Next time I find a wallet I will toss it in U.S. Post office mail box and let them send it.
I can relate.

Thirty years ago, I found a wallet with no $$ in it, took it to the police station. The cop never smiled or thanked me while he took the report. He also looked at me like I stole the $$.

Last year, I placed my guitar and case atop my state vehicle, then walked into the Welfare building to deliver documents. When I returned to the car, I realized what I had done.

I looked for it without success. In the case was my checkbook and a cashier's check to an escrow company for...

$17,000.00:oops:

I canceled my account and stopped the check. Bank said I was still liable if somehow someone cashed the $17K within 90 days.

Three months later, I'm off the hook, but no one called to report the find.

I would've GIVEN them the cheap guitar and $1700.

I can only imagine that they were frantically trying to find a way to forge that check.

The right thing to do would have earned them $1700...

for something they found outside the WELFARE building.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Not on my motorized bike, but I was riding my dad's Honda 750 to work once and I ran out of gas....I was walking the bike along the freeway and I found a purse, inside were keys to the house, credit cards, and I.D. No cash.

I got to work late, called the police and the woman and the cops were waiting with her when I came back from my first run. She didn't really accuse me, but must have said something to the cops because my boss had to vouch for me and say "Couldn't have been him, we pay him to work here."

She didn't even say thanks! I wonder if she would have rather had a dishonest person find it and use the credit cards, then the house keys and address to let thwmselves in and help them selves to whatever was there.

I found a catalytic converter on my scooter this summer- 40 bux! ChaChing!!!!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
People are funny. You'll find them like that all over the world.

Ya just gotta laugh it off.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I found a checkbook belonging to a doctor. Called her up and she was absolutely grateful. I sent it on it's way via post office they do this for free and I get a call from her again saying she got it and I'm a good citizen. I have to admit that it did kinda bothered me that she didn't reward me because this lady according to her checkbook was loaded but it was cool.
I seem to find stuff pretty daily. Lately because I've been riding the Trike I have a nice old trunk in back I'll pick up aluminum cans and toss it in my cage. Every 6 months or so I'll turn it in and make about 30 to 40 bucks.
But I've also found 4 pocket knives,a 13mm Craftsman deep well socket,a Mac deep well impact socket 3/4,various no name extension bars,ratchets,a lot of these tools good only for the metal value and a Craftsman 1/2 inch drive swivel ratchet rather new but slightly broke (the swivel axle was loose and the ratchet would "skip") so I stopped at the Sears and they matched up the part number and gave me a new one off their shelves!
Every now and then I find hub caps too. You have to be careful with these because there was a reason they popped off the car. Usually the ones I find on the side of a road were accidentally left there by an irate tire changer that forgot to bang it back on there. You can sell these on e bay.
Then there's looking for scrap metal. It goes in a barrel at home. No matter how little and insignificant that piece of metal is,it does turn into a lot of weight eventually and turns into some cash. Some examples of scrap metal I would find are tie rod ends,brake pads,an alternator,pulleys (I always wonder how those parts came to be) numerous nuts and bolts looking like it came off a bumper,L brackets from who knows where,all kinds of stuff.
Good thing to know about tools. Craftsman is best for lifetime warranties and easy to get to but Snap On,Mac and S&K is possible to get a replacement but they are harder to track down and are really picky as to drilling you as to how it broke. Like for example if you turn in a breaker bar and said it broke because you used a cheater bar,Snap on may not replace it. S&K will and as will Craftsman.
But if you find a tool on the road and it's broke,if it's name brand it's worth a try getting a new one. Craftsman is best for this. S&K is second but you need the exact part number and if it's discontinued your out. Snap On and Mac while probably the best tools on earth only really caters to the $$$ Mechanic which is why you only see them in trucks and won't offer a lifetime warranty to just anyone.
Good stuff to know here.

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Didn't find it on my MB, but when I lived in Phoenix I found a girl's debit card in the parking lot of my apartment complex. Took it to the bank. The next day, I got a phone call from her being overjoyed that someone would turn it in and not use it. "We need more people like you in the world." Turns out she lived right across the hallway from me, lol.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I'll share this story even though it's not mine. It was in a shooting forum:

This guy said a female cop in uniform was in the supermarket and was not paying attention to anyone or anything but her shopping. When she accidentally backed up into this guys cart and her ammunition magazine ejected out of her service weapon right into his cart. He didn't notice until she was on another isle. He realized what it was and approached her and said "Excuse me miss." She cuts him short and says "I'm off duty and this isn't my jurisdiction." and walks away. He approaches her again and says something like "I think you dropped this in my cart". She just takes it from him and looks at him like he took it from her or something. What a BI**H!
Someone on the forum suggested that he sould have gone up to the front service counter and made an anouncement on the store's PA system something to the effect "ATTENTION SHOPPERS, ATTENTION SHOPPERS, WILL THE LADY OFF DUTY AND OUT OF HER JUSISDICTION PLEASE REPORT TO THE FRONT OF THE STORE TO PICK UP HER BULLETS. THANK YOU."

I laughed my arse off!

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
Didn't find it on my MB, but when I lived in Phoenix I found a girl's debit card in the parking lot of my apartment complex. Took it to the bank. The next day, I got a phone call from her being overjoyed that someone would turn it in and not use it. "We need more people like you in the world." Turns out she lived right across the hallway from me, lol.
You didn't say whether she gave you a "reward".

Ted

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Lots of metal cans but I never pick them up... Might be a way to pay for gas though.
As a kid racing Motocross...collecting beer & soda cans is how I paid my way. I would also collect golf balls outside the driving ranges and inside the golf course and sell them in the parking lot.

Also near my house was a place that stocked vending machines....they would fill a bag full of candy bars, gum and chips and stuff from re-stocking the vending machines and give it to me. I would sell the candy at school.

They would always see me collecting cans near their business and started collecting cans for me as well. When I told them why I was collecting cans they started to give me bags of candy.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
wives do get in the way now and then lol.... However in the grand scheme of things they are the glue that holds society together....

yes dear I wrote what you said.

bikebum1975

Aug 18, 2008
Connecticut
I only have a pedal bike right no but I have found 20 bucks while riding when pushing it up a hill also assorted tools and the biggest thing but couldn't take it was a toolbox for a pickup truck bed, a friend went back and picked up that for his truck though.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I found a dollar while riding my bike. I stuck it in my pocket and motored on.

My wife found it in my pocket and left it on the counter.

Then my daughter found it on the counter and handed it back to me.

So I gave it to the homeless guy at the streetcorner.

That bill had a mind of its own.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
What have you found on the side of the road?

Went out for a ride this afternoon and spied a motorcycle plate on the side of the road. I had to stop and pick it up. It doesn't expire until Feb so I put an ad in craigslist lost and found. I hope the owner claims it 'cause it'd suck to have to buy a new plate and tag for the short time left in the season.

Got me to thinking, what have you guys found lying on the side of the road?

That was worth picking up that is, I'm sure we've all seen our share of dead critters. lol

.rd.