harbor freight 79cc oil filler threads

GoldenMotor.com

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Thinking real hard about mounting my 79cc Greyhound engine vertically. Have the mounts, fabbed up a plywood plate, etc. But I am stuck on drilling and tapping the second oil filler hole. I have seen others use what appears to be a brass hose barb looking thing- are those 3/4" MHT threads?

Since I'm not a thread guru, I could use some direction on what fitting(s) to get and what type tap to get.

Thanks.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Just take your current plug down to the hardware or whatever. match that plug to a bolt to use for the one you just took out , now you know the size. Home depot sells taps get the one you need.

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
chainmaker,

Thanks, your advice makes sense. But rather than starting from scratch I was hoping to find out what others have done.

CCC,

Thanks for your parts info. So based on the tap shown, your threads are 1/2". On my engine, that recess in the molded boss appears to be more like 3/4" inside diameter. Did you only tap the bottom of the recess, or the side walls?

I'll go the Home Depot tomorrow and check out their selection.

Thanks again.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It's 1/2" pipe thread, use fittings that accommodate.

I use mine for a crank case breather and the oil filler as well. It works very well and is simple to use.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
OK, so at Home Depot I found two garden hose adapters in the plumbing dept. Both are listed as "3/4" MHT (male hose thread) on one end. But on the other end, one is "1/2 NPT" and one is "3/4 in MIP- tapped 1/2 in FIP". I bought both (sorry for the crappy pic of the one). Also bought a cap.

I'm assuming FIP means female threads...so probably going to take that one back.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
alright, I think I am in business! Thanks guys for the assistance. Of course I still need to do the work, but at least I have the parts.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I am curious about this mod. What is the purpose? Crank case breather? Oil fill? I am only asking because I am getting ready to start a HF 79cc build.....

This will be my first 4 stroke build as well.....

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
How are you mounting the motor, that would be the deciding factor if that item is needed. Vertical you would need it to add oil. You can vent the motor at the valve cover.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I am mounting the motor with the agk mounting plate. I wanted to mount it vertically, but my down tube is 1.65". Andy (Headtrama) was going to make me some mounts, but since they do not make the "rail buggy" clamps in that size I will just be mounting it with a traditional mounting plate.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Quick question CCC.....when the engine arrives, besides removing the governor, I remove the stock exhaust, carb, gas tank, AND the throttle linkage???? Only asking since I will be using the 19mm carb and intake, as well as, agk exhaust.....

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I am curious about this mod. What is the purpose? Crank case breather? Oil fill? I am only asking because I am getting ready to start a HF 79cc build.....

This will be my first 4 stroke build as well.....
Edited my post because I didn't see there was a whole second page of good answers to your question....

Last edited:

Jamesgregory

Nov 22, 2012
Ohio
I'm wondering if you drill out the metal and then tap it, What about the shavings that fall inside the motor? How do you get them out because wont they destroy the motor from the inside??

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
I'm wondering if you drill out the metal and then tap it, What about the shavings that fall inside the motor? How do you get them out because wont they destroy the motor from the inside??
You'd have to remove the crankcase cover after draining the oil(some shavings would come out with the oil, then use a soft rag to get the rest out, reassemble and then refill with fresh oil. Just my two cents.