Hand grip removal- What's your method?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Bikeguy Joe, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

2. george_n_texas

george_n_texas New Member

I use a pipe wrench and twist them off.

3. thatsdax

thatsdax Member

This is what I do. I have a spray bottle with 99 percent water and 1 percent dish soap. I spray a long skinny flat tip screw driver and then wedge it under the grip to be removed as far in as I can gt it. Then.. The space made by the screw driver being wedged in, I will take my spray bottle and spray into the space created . I then pull the screw driver out, and simply twist the grip off. To replace the grip, simply spray up inside the grip and the bars and slide on. Once the water dries, grip will be secure as a rock !! Also.. If you have an under sized grip, simply place it into water and microwave it in the water for a minute or 2. Once hot, take it to your bike, spray everything and work it on. Works Great and no compressed air needed. Also..Once it drys, it will stick like glue !! Enjoy the ride....

4. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

I use harsh language and threats...

but tis tru that doesn't work very well :p

5. Techbiker

Techbiker New Member

I just twist the grips with my hands and pull them off... It's kind of slow, but this method works even when no tools are available haha.

6. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

I should mention this 'cause the grips on the HT throttles can be a ***** - particularly if ya wanna use a nice set of bicycle grips.

It's simple enough, get say a big coffee can or w/e and fill it with hot soapy water, throw in the china twist grip (minus kill switch ofc) and the bike grip you want to put on it and let them soak fer a few. If you used water hot enough to be not quite simmering - by the time the water cools enough that you can deal with it comfortably you can usually work the stock grip off quite easily.

The new bicycle grip is softer to begin with than the rock hard POS that came with the kit (why we're gittin' rid of it obv), now that it's been in the bucket this whole time it outa stretch over the plastic tube for the throttle with not much effort. To do this I do suggest using the end of the handlebar in the plastic tube (but without the cable and kill switch) because it's kinda easy to crush it otherwise, particularly if it's still hot.

If it starts getting really difficult, just get some more hot, soapy water and let it soak while you smoke a cigarette and chill - when you get back it outa be ready for you too ;)

Stock Schwinn grips;
    [​IMG]

If anyone has a better way - I'm beggin' ya for it lol

7. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Ahhh, thanks a lot, Venice...You owe me a throttle/kill switch, a clutch lever, two brake levers and a rear view mirror mount. That hammer method is a little rough on things...:)
    Tom

8. MaxPower

MaxPower New Member

It's the work harder, not smarter method. me use hammer, me break things

9. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

I must admit, if you look at the pic, it's a plastic hammer! ;)

10. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

actually, my normal method is just keep riding till the grips fall off on their own.

11. chopperjoe

chopperjoe New Member

if your talking about removing old grips, push in a flat head screw driver between rubber and bar, a shot of WD40 move flathead around the entire grip and wala it comes off. ggod luck

12. Venice Motor Bikes

The WD40 method works well, but then you have to clean it out of the grip.

My method is much faster, '3 hits with a hammer & zero clean up!' ;)

13. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually Paul, I use WD-40 to install the grips. They slide right on and in a few seconds they're stuck. Never had one loosen. Try it.
    Tom

14. chopperjoe

chopperjoe New Member

like the pics venice, i will give it a try next time, what did we start?????????/ some nice bikes on your web. looking to do a springer with discs, getting ideas from your web pics, looks like some custom fab caliper mounts. if not plz advise where i could find them. thnx chopper joe S. chicago area 35degrees and still 2 wheelin

15. chopperjoe

chopperjoe New Member

hey is that a scratch on the frame tube when the wrench slipped???????/ ha ha forgot to mention my old girlfriend, she could suck those grips off

#35 chopperjoe, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  16. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Santa Cruz Scooter Works

I do the same thing but with rubber alcohol. It leaves no residue on the grips or I'll use the air method if I can plug the other end.

#36 Easy Rider, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  17. happyvalley

happyvalley New Member

Heh, pipe wrenches and hammers.

Slid a carpenters awl or something like a BBQ skewer under the grip and jet some Windex into the opening. Slips right off.

18. Venice Motor Bikes

19. Kevron99

Kevron99 New Member

To remove the grip get a skinny screw driver insert and spray wd-40 inside then pull it out. To install a new grip, wipe the wd-40 off with wet warm cloth, then wait to dry. Then get a hair spray and apply to the handle bars then insert the new grip. Hair spray is very good adhesive.

20. george_n_texas

george_n_texas New Member

I have found the easiest way to take off the grips is to put a cat on a leash attatched to the grip and play a recording of a pit bull....works every time you just set it and forget it.